Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Affiliations: IIT Alumni Association, ISB Alumni Association
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Re: 720(Q-48,V-40) after 7 long treacherous months! [#permalink]
Congrats on the great achievement. Your story is inspirational . To pull up a score of 720 given that you had 480 on the diagnostic test is commendable.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
invincibleforce wrote:
Really ,does that happen ? I mean why would anybody want to let go for a global brand like Wharton or INSEAD and go for local schools like ISB or IIMs ?

A variety of reasons come into action.One usually has to stay back in the US after completing his MBA because the sheer amount of loan will make you stay back so you will have to live in the US for say 2+4 =6 years .Many people don't want to stay abroad for that long duration-parents,marriage,kids etc so for those people ISB and IIM PGPX fill the gap.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
shovitdhar wrote:
invincibleforce wrote:
Really ,does that happen ? I mean why would anybody want to let go for a global brand like Wharton or INSEAD and go for local schools like ISB or IIMs ?

A variety of reasons come into action.One usually has to stay back in the US after completing his MBA because the sheer amount of loan will make you stay back so you will have to live in the US for say 2+4 =6 years .Many people don't want to stay abroad for that long duration-parents,marriage,kids etc so for those people ISB and IIM PGPX fill the gap.

I was reading somewhere that the average loan repayment time of an MBA graduate from a top business school is around 5 years so one would need to stay back in the US for that duration I think.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gauravdangi wrote:
I was reading somewhere that the average loan repayment time of an MBA graduate from a top business school is around 5 years so one would need to stay back in the US for that duration I think.

Yes, it only makes sense for one to work sometime in a country abroad. The benefit of that is not only in terms of the earning but in terms of understanding and appreciating the work culture of that country. How it helps later is that when you come back to say India and work in some company and you have some client in the US, the organization will be more than willing to give you the opportunity to work for those clients as you understand their psyche and culture better and can connect to them really well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
hustler22 wrote:
Yes, it only makes sense for one to work sometime in a country abroad. The benefit of that is not only in terms of the earning but in terms of understanding and appreciating the work culture of that country. How it helps later is that when you come back to say India and work in some company and you have some client in the US, the organization will be more than willing to give you the opportunity to work for those clients as you understand their psyche and culture better and can connect to them really well.

Great insights. I totally agree. I think that working in different geographies really matures a person and allows him to bring in a lot of insights.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
hustler22 wrote:
gauravdangi wrote:

But where are the jobs for international students? I have heard that each company has a cap on the number of H1B visas that can be granted to the international citizens and the companies don't usually give the H1B visa that easily so that they don't reach the cap fast. So chances of getting a job look bleak to me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gauravdangi wrote:

But where are the jobs for international students? I have heard that each company has a cap on the number of H1B visas that can be granted to the international citizens and the companies don't usually give the H1B visa that easily so that they don't reach the cap fast. So chances of getting a job look bleak to me.

Yeah, that's true but isn't it an all the more reason for people to actually strive to become really good. Earlier a lot of Indians with poor communication skills and even worse social skills would get jobs but then they would brag that without communication skills doesn't matter much; it's your intelligence only that gets you jobs in the US. Now these people will run for cover. The scenario has changed and that makes it inevitable for an Indian candidate to upgrade his skills and match them with the best out there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
hustler22 wrote:

Very valid questions. I am going to attend an information session by Columbia GSB on the 26th of this month and will be definitely asking all these questions to the admission committee
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Congrats on the amazing score. How difficult did you find the IR section as compared to the questions that come with OG13 IR companion ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
great shalini..!! congrats..!!

i m trying to reach at this score..i hope i l get it..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
unclesam2013 wrote:
Congrats on the amazing score. How difficult did you find the IR section as compared to the questions that come with OG13 IR companion ?

I had actually taken the GMAT before it changed so don't know about IR. You may want to ask some people who have taken the GMAT recently
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts