Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [2]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Send PM
Re: UBC vs Ivey? (Canada) [#permalink]
Kudos
cde wrote:
My situation is similar (I'm deciding between Sauder and Ivey), but with a few key differences (no restrictions on start dates, no undergrad from Ivey, and different career aspirations).

I made my decision yesterday that I'd prefer to go to UBC. The main reasons for the decision are work/life balance, and international exposure - UBC is better for both of these. If I were interested in a career in consulting or finance, I'd have chosen Ivey. Ivey's network seems to be stronger, it's reputation is more prestigious, and their average grad makes more money.

In the end it comes down to which school is a better fit for you, and to answer that question you need a clear idea of what you want to achieve with your MBA.

If work/life balance is important for you, I recommend talking to some people who currently hold the types of positions you're aiming for and ask them how many hours they spend each day at the office. If you'd be happy to live that kind of life, an Ivey MBA is probably the best way to get you there.

Lastly, if you hate your job, quit. You're clearly intelligent and employable - go find something else to do between now and when you start your MBA.

Good luck!

Haha I am trying to find something new, but I want to be able to demonstrate career growth for my MBA aps. I have a good idea of what I want to do post MBA and I just don’t feel like UBC has the same wow factor on a resume for top jobs, and my work experience is pretty average. Also, can you explain what you feel is better about UBC in terms of work/life balance? Thanks for the reply.
bmillan01 wrote:
Don't worry about the extra eight months out of the workforce. For one thing, it's not as if you will waste time doing nothing. You'll be investing in your education, meeting new people, and building a network. In other words, you will be productive. And secondly, an extra eight months is negligible in the grand scheme of things. So, in my opinion, the extra time spent in UBC should probably not be a major factor in your choice.

The tricky issue here is the additional year at a job that you dislike. As someone already mentioned, quitting is an option. But in these uncertain times, it's better to not take one's employment for granted.

8 months I agree isn’t a huge worry, but it is an opportunity cost, you can’t deny that. Also, I definitely feel like the network you build at Ivey is likely more powerful.
For the time being I think I have to get my career sorted out, and apply for Ivey to have the option. But the other restrictions is I don’t want to continually bug my references about opportunities I’m not committed to.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Haha I am trying to find something new, but I want to be able to demonstrate career growth for my MBA aps. I have a good idea of what I want to do post MBA and I just don’t feel like UBC has the same wow factor on a resume for top jobs, and my work experience is pretty average. Also, can you explain what you feel is better about UBC in terms of work/life balance? Thanks for the reply.

I want to start off by clarifying that I'm an applicant like you - not an admissions officer - so what I write is no more or less than my own opinion. That said, I think that finding a new job demonstrates career growth (as long as it's a good job) just as well as moving up in your current company. I expect different schools will have different views as to the importance of remaining loyal to a single employer for an extended period of time. For some it may be important, and for others is may be irrelevant.

Most people (myself included) would agree with you that UBC doesn't have the same wow factor as some of the more prestigious schools. With your impressive GMAT score, relatively limited work experience, and desire for an "impressive" MBA, you might want to consider studying outside of Canada - have you considered Harvard?

Lastly, to explain my comment on work/life balance, I was referring not simply to the MBA experience, but to the careers that grads are more likely to pursue after graduating from a certain school. Toronto is the financial centre of Canada, and Vancouver is a leader in small business and innovation. You're more likely to work for one of the big banks or a major consulting firm if you graduate from Ivey. The pay in BC may be less, but there will probably be more leisure time and more options for what to do with that time. I've got no facts to support that statement; it's based on my personal experience and that of my friends in Toronto and Vancouver.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
cde wrote:

I want to start off by clarifying that I'm an applicant like you - not an admissions officer - so what I write is no more or less than my own opinion. That said, I think that finding a new job demonstrates career growth (as long as it's a good job) just as well as moving up in your current company. I expect different schools will have different views as to the importance of remaining loyal to a single employer for an extended period of time. For some it may be important, and for others is may be irrelevant.

Most people (myself included) would agree with you that UBC doesn't have the same wow factor as some of the more prestigious schools. With your impressive GMAT score, relatively limited work experience, and desire for an "impressive" MBA, you might want to consider studying outside of Canada - have you considered Harvard?

Lastly, to explain my comment on work/life balance, I was referring not simply to the MBA experience, but to the careers that grads are more likely to pursue after graduating from a certain school. Toronto is the financial centre of Canada, and Vancouver is a leader in small business and innovation. You're more likely to work for one of the big banks or a major consulting firm if you graduate from Ivey. The pay in BC may be less, but there will probably be more leisure time and more options for what to do with that time. I've got no facts to support that statement; it's based on my personal experience and that of my friends in Toronto and Vancouver.

I am considering outside Canada, but more Tuck or Darden than Harvard. I do not think boston living is for me, and if I just plan on moving back to Toronto I can probably get most jobs out of Ivey.

I see your point about work-life balance and I suppose it is a reasonable one. I have pretty much decided to find a new job for a while and then apply to a few schools. Tuck, Darden, UBC, Ivey are on the list atm but it is always changing. Depends on scholarship opportunities as well.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
cde wrote:
My situation is similar (I'm deciding between Sauder and Ivey), but with a few key differences (no restrictions on start dates, no undergrad from Ivey, and different career aspirations).

I made my decision yesterday that I'd prefer to go to UBC. The main reasons for the decision are work/life balance, and international exposure - UBC is better for both of these. If I were interested in a career in consulting or finance, I'd have chosen Ivey. Ivey's network seems to be stronger, it's reputation is more prestigious, and their average grad makes more money.

In the end it comes down to which school is a better fit for you, and to answer that question you need a clear idea of what you want to achieve with your MBA.

If work/life balance is important for you, I recommend talking to some people who currently hold the types of positions you're aiming for and ask them how many hours they spend each day at the office. If you'd be happy to live that kind of life, an Ivey MBA is probably the best way to get you there.

Lastly, if you hate your job, quit. You're clearly intelligent and employable - go find something else to do between now and when you start your MBA.

Good luck!

I ended up quitting my job and finding a new one in corporate strategy. Either this September or next I will be applying and still have the same debate. How have you enjoyed UBC's program?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot