Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]
syalaman wrote:
Hi GSB Admissions,

As my understanding is working in a big firm is better for an MBA admission than at a smaller company (less than 200 employees).
I work for a small company and intentionally declined the opportunity to work for bigger ones because it would give me more responsibility, ability to interact and understand the management's strategic moves in improving the firm.

If I was working in a big firm the admissions committee knows before hand about more about me as the interviewing or working for a big firm itself sets a standard. My assumption it is harder for the admissions committee to judge the potential a candidate working in a smaller firm and his contribution.

Is my assumption correct, if so how do I working in a smaller firm compensate for it.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Thanks,
Suresh

Hi Suresh,

Thank you for your question. We do not have a preference for type of work experience or size of company. We admit students from a variety of work experience backgrounds.

Good luck!
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Cheetos1 wrote:
Hi Matt,
I have a few questions regarding the application. I am really hoping to get some direction from you on the following items:
a) I went to a 4-year public university in the US. However, I took two courses (English I and II) at a community college. These two courses are reflected on my University's official transcript as transferred credits along with the letter grade. Do I need to report this community college as a separate college attended? Also, would you require a transcript from this community college?

b) Financing section - I saw your comment above regarding this section. I do not have any sponsorship or any scholarships in hand. However, I do plan to apply for the scholarship money in the Spring. Should I include what I am "hoping" to receive in scholarships/loans or what I am "expecting" to receive?

c) Internships during college - I have four years of work experience but I have worked in the same job since college. Should I list internships during undergrad as separate work experience? Or is it better not to mention those?

Thanks for being patient with my questions and thanks for helping me out!!

Hi Cheetos1,

a) If the grades are on your degree granting transcripts you do not need to send separate transcripts.

b.) If you do not have scholarships awarded to you do not include this information.

c.) Your internships should be listed in the optional essay.

I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
Cheetos1 wrote:
Hi Matt,
I have a few questions regarding the application. I am really hoping to get some direction from you on the following items:
a) I went to a 4-year public university in the US. However, I took two courses (English I and II) at a community college. These two courses are reflected on my University's official transcript as transferred credits along with the letter grade. Do I need to report this community college as a separate college attended? Also, would you require a transcript from this community college?

b) Financing section - I saw your comment above regarding this section. I do not have any sponsorship or any scholarships in hand. However, I do plan to apply for the scholarship money in the Spring. Should I include what I am "hoping" to receive in scholarships/loans or what I am "expecting" to receive?

c) Internships during college - I have four years of work experience but I have worked in the same job since college. Should I list internships during undergrad as separate work experience? Or is it better not to mention those?

Thanks for being patient with my questions and thanks for helping me out!!

Hi Cheetos1,

a) If the grades are on your degree granting transcripts you do not need to send separate transcripts.

b.) If you do not have scholarships awarded to you do not include this information.

c.) Your internships should be listed in the optional essay.

I hope this helps!

Matt,
Thank you so much. That was extremely helpful. One last question, I am having trouble uploading my transcript into the system. It's a pdf file which exceeds the recommended size limit. Is there a way around this? Should I e-mail my transcript separately to the AdCom?
Thanks again for your help!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Matt,
Please ignore my above question. I figured it out and just hit submit on my application. Thanks again for your help. Happy Holidays!
Send PM
Cheetos1 wrote:
Matt,
Please ignore my above question. I figured it out and just hit submit on my application. Thanks again for your help. Happy Holidays!

Great! Have a Happy New Year!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi

I applied to CBS in last week of November

I haven't received any correspondence from CBS till date. It shows my application is Under Review.

When can I expect an interview call , if any?

If I am not selected, will the status change to rejected, waitllisted, etc? If yes, how much time does it usually take?

Thanks a lot
Send PM
coreaspirant wrote:
Hi

I applied to CBS in last week of November

I haven't received any correspondence from CBS till date. It shows my application is Under Review.

When can I expect an interview call , if any?

If I am not selected, will the status change to rejected, waitllisted, etc? If yes, how much time does it usually take?

Thanks a lot

Hi coreaspirant,

The applications for RD went under review in December. Once your application is under review you should allow between 8-12 weeks for review. You can receive a decision or an interview invitation at any time. If you want to know your status you can login at any time to view this.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi

I am an international applicant and wanted to know whether submitting the application by January end is considered too late for international applicants?

Thanks
Charu
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT Date: 02-11-2012
GPA: 3.51
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
I posted a new subject on accident, meant to post it on this forum, here is my question...

I have a question about graduate school gpa. I graduated undergrad with a 3.51gpa with a bachelor's in International Economics. I went directly to law school and graduated with a 2.8gpa. I am sure you are familiar with law school's and their strict bell curve. This unfortunately lands most students with a C average.

Does admissions place more weight on the undergrad GPA? Will it also consider the low law school GPA? (Please note that I passed the bar and am a licensed attorney in my state).

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Matt,

I am an international applicant and I would like to know, if having my own business for almost ten years can be considered as work experience? After graduating Computer Engineering(5 years), I start my own company(international road transport and forwarding goods).

Taking this in consideration from who should I ask for recommendation letters?

Thank you,
Gabi
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Hi Matthew.

Thank you for helping us with the application questions.

I have few questions to you:

1. As you see I was rejected by CBS. Is it possible to have a formal/informal feedback in any form of what could I improve in my application to be a stronger candidate.

2.What is the tuition cost of J-term program?

3. What is the admision rate for students applying for J-term and why you dont post a separate statistics, including that of post MBA-employment and average saalries.

4. Do you generally encourage reapplicants? and if yes, why?, if previously the candidate was rejected and he/she does not know the reason for rejection?

thank you a lot.

regards,
your rejected applicant,
PTK
Send PM
charu115 wrote:
Hi

I am an international applicant and wanted to know whether submitting the application by January end is considered too late for international applicants?

Thanks
Charu

Hi Charu - Thank you for your question! This is not too late to be considered. It is always in the applicants best interest to apply as early as possible with rolling decision, but our class will not be closed at the end of this month.

Good luck!
Send PM
gabypaun wrote:
Hi Matt,

I am an international applicant and I would like to know, if having my own business for almost ten years can be considered as work experience? After graduating Computer Engineering(5 years), I start my own company(international road transport and forwarding goods).

Taking this in consideration from who should I ask for recommendation letters?

Thank you,
Gabi

Hi Gabi,

Thank you for posting. We consider all types of work experience. As for recommendation letters a client or a partner at your firm could be used as a recommender.

Best of luck!
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
PTK wrote:
Hi Matthew.

Thank you for helping us with the application questions.

I have few questions to you:

1. As you see I was rejected by CBS. Is it possible to have a formal/informal feedback in any form of what could I improve in my application to be a stronger candidate.

2.What is the tuition cost of J-term program?

3. What is the admision rate for students applying for J-term and why you dont post a separate statistics, including that of post MBA-employment and average saalries.

4. Do you generally encourage reapplicants? and if yes, why?, if previously the candidate was rejected and he/she does not know the reason for rejection?

thank you a lot.

regards,
your rejected applicant,
PTK

Hi PTK,

I am sorry to hear about your decision. Unfortunately it is not possible to to receive feedback on your application. The Admissions Office understands well the enormous commitment of time and energy that applying to business school represents, but we simply do not have the resources to provide feedback to all of our denied applicants. Every year we have many reapplicants who are admitted to the program. All of the January stats are included in our posted statistics. The tuition rate is the same as well.

I hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
charu115 wrote:
Hi

Thanks
Charu

Hi Charu - Thank you for your question! This is not too late to be considered. It is always in the applicants best interest to apply as early as possible with rolling decision, but our class will not be closed at the end of this month.

Good luck!

Hi Matthew,
I will apply by mid February. Based on the deadline for regular decision I think my application will still be considered for the August 2012 entry, right? Does the admission committee have different criteria for applicants applying at this time? Do the applicants need to explain why they apply late in the process?

Thank you for your time to answer our questions.
Send PM
Chaolien wrote:
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
charu115 wrote:
Hi

Thanks
Charu

Good luck!

Hi Matthew,
I will apply by mid February. Based on the deadline for regular decision I think my application will still be considered for the August 2012 entry, right? Does the admission committee have different criteria for applicants applying at this time? Do the applicants need to explain why they apply late in the process?

Thank you for your time to answer our questions.

The criteria does not change for applicants. If you want to explain why you applied at this point in the process feel free!

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Matt,

Thank you for your time on this thread. I am looking to apply next cycle. My background is research-centric. Moreover, I've worked exclusively for the public sector (Fed and then the Treasury). Even though the subject matter of my work experience might be of interest to those in the private sector, I do not have direct exposure to businesses and thus am not familiar with decision making at the firm level (with the exception of reading about it in economic literature).

I wish to transition from a research career to one that is more action oriented. I believe going through an MBA program is a very good path. I am thinking about ways to promote my previous experience such that it would be relevant to business schools. How should I go about this? What are some natural questions that you would ask a candidate with my background?

Thanks again for your time.

Peter
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts