Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [200]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618583 [6]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [2]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '21 ISB'22
GPA: 4
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: Verb-ed & Verb-ing CAN BE PARALLEL [#permalink]
Kudos
egmat could you please clarify? I feel like this article hasn't actually clarified anything at all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [2]
Given Kudos: 151
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.95
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
pinkpineapple wrote:
egmat could you please clarify? I feel like this article hasn't actually clarified anything at all.

Here is the official question - Identify which sentence is correct?
Quote:
Australian embryologists have found evidence that ­suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolving as a kind of snorkel.

Quote:
Australian embryologists have found evidence to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [5]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Verb-ed & Verb-ing CAN BE PARALLEL [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
pinkpineapple wrote:

Hi pinkpineapple, to start with, a couple of officially correct examples might help illustrate the point:

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal found in the Philippines and resembling a hummingbird, has shimmering metallic colors on its head; a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and a red eye.

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

The reason present participles and past participles are considered grammatically similar to each other, is because both present participles and past participles are adjectives. On that note, present participles and past participles are also considered grammatically similar to adjectives.

For example, following sentence would be correct:

Just 5 feet 3 inches tall but facing the mighty British empire, Gandhiji prevailed.

In the above sentence, the adjective tall is parallel to the present participle facing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos