Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.62
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
Re: Duke Vs. Darden 2012 [#permalink]
Dc110 wrote:
I think this is how you start a new thread?

Anyway, what is everyone's thoughts? I liked Darden better when I visited, but they are both great programs and there are a lot of factors to consider...

Can you talk more about your background and post MBA career goals? It'll be much easier to provide insights...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
** Moved to the appropriate forum **
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Management of Technology/ General Management
Schools:Berkeley Haas, Stanford, MIT Sloan, INSEADw/$$
 Q48  V44
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Five years in hi-tech in sales/marketing roles
Send PM
Is anyone offering a scholarship?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I got the exact same scholarship offer from both schools. Doesn't make the decision any easier...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Tough break, regarding the two scholarships :wink:

Anyways, here's my two cents.
I think Darden provides a better MBA Experience, at least for what I'm looking to get out of my MBA.
The classroom experience is vastly superior to that of the two other schools I visited, which counts for a lot in my book.
There are also a lot of little things like the Darden Cup, the 100 case party and other Darden traditions, the smaller class size and small town in a warm climate, that add up to a better overall experience.

From a career prep standpoint, I want to go into General Management (not completely sure what area), so recruiting is very similar, but I think Darden's curriculum would prepare me a little better.

Darden's alumni network is probably stronger, but Duke's seems to be great too, and is slightly larger for recent grads due to the larger class size, and is possibly farther reaching, again due to class size.

The area where Duke makes a strong argument (in my mind, at least) is the brand perception. I'm from Michigan, where nobody has an MBA. When I tell people I'm favoring University of Virginia over Duke and Cornell, they just don't get it. I'm not sure whether the people I will encounter in my career (coworkers, partnerships, customers, suppliers, etc) will have any understanding of the comparative strengths of MBA programs. This would make a nice case for Duke. That being said, I really hope I never even have to mention the fact that I have an MBA more than 2 years after I graduate, let alone where I got it from. I hope that my work experience would be the more important factor at that point, but I can't control other people's perceptions and priorities.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Let me clarify - I am extremely grateful to have two offers on the table. It is just the fact that they are equal doesn't swing my vote one way or the other. Again - I am freaking ecstatic to have the two to pick from (especially after months of panicking that I wouldn't get in anywhere). But, I agree with all said and am 99% Darden at this point.

Re: Lions' point on Duke's brand recognition - I guess that is what I'm struggling with and was wondering what other people think. The opportunities are vast after attending either program, and fairly similar, so I'm less concerned with particular interests determining which program to attend and more on why someone prefers one or another on a personal level.

Hope I will see some of you Friday :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi all, this comes a little late but would any of you know how strong each school is for healthcare?

I know Fuqua has an Health Sector Management add on, but Darden has healthcare specialization too. Niche topic. but if anybody can shed some insight on how the 2 compare for:
a) Recruitment into management consulting (healthcare specific)
b) Overall healthcare recruiting
c) Which program has a better reputation for healthcare in the US (or East Coast), that would excellent. I'm applying to both in September most likely, so wanted to get people's insights on the same.
Best
A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Aximili85 wrote:
Hi all, this comes a little late but would any of you know how strong each school is for healthcare?

I know Fuqua has an Health Sector Management add on, but Darden has healthcare specialization too. Niche topic. but if anybody can shed some insight on how the 2 compare for:
a) Recruitment into management consulting (healthcare specific)
b) Overall healthcare recruiting
c) Which program has a better reputation for healthcare in the US (or East Coast), that would excellent. I'm applying to both in September most likely, so wanted to get people's insights on the same.
Best
A.

I can't say anything about recruitment, but Duke is one of the top players in Healthcare specialization.
The main advantage of Fuqua would be its proximity to the RPT. Try visiting both schools and attend their classes.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gmatmba1 wrote:
Aximili85 wrote:
The main advantage of Fuqua would be its proximity to the RPT. Try visiting both schools and attend their classes.

Hi GMATmba, thanks for your response. I'm sorry, what did you mean by RPT? Yes, I'm scheduling class visits in August to find out in person what I'm best suited for.

-A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Aximili85 wrote:
gmatmba1 wrote:
Aximili85 wrote:

Hi GMATmba, thanks for your response. I'm sorry, what did you mean by RPT? Yes, I'm scheduling class visits in August to find out in person what I'm best suited for.

-A.

RTP: Research Triangle Park. I am sure there is a better description on Wiki; RTP houses many many tech, biotech, and pharmaceutical companies. It'll give you a good access to those companies as a Dukie
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gmatmba1 wrote:

RTP: Research Triangle Park. I am sure there is a better description on Wiki; RTP houses many many tech, biotech, and pharmaceutical companies. It'll give you a good access to those companies as a Dukie

Extremely helpful, going to follow up on this. Thanks so much!
GMAT Club Bot