Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball [#permalink]
MBACrystalBall wrote:
ssmba wrote:
Hello Sameer,

Please evaluate my profile and let me know what is the probability for getting selected in the institutes mentioned.

GMAT (on Nov 19, 2011) - 710 (Q50, V36)

Total Work Exp: 5.5 yrs ( IT )

At Present working in Canada (Toronto) for a major Human Resource Outsourcing firm - AON Hewitt

:
I work in Peoplesoft (ERP) Technology. Supported Major Bank of Canada in their Funds Transfer Pricing, management allocation and HR modules.
:
------
Somu

Somu sir,

After reading some of the earlier posts on this thread (not sure if you did), I guess we both know what isn't working for you here.

The Asian schools, and specially the two in India are flooded with similar profiles. Your best bet would be to go beyond the ERP Tech part and talk about the Transfer Pricing knowledge you've gained. Transfer Pricing can be a very complex subject and there are consultants who have made a career focussing purely on this 1 area.

Link that to your post-MBA goal that might somehow be linked to the non-technical wisdom you've gained in the earlier roles.

Then you've basically got a story that few others will be talking about.

Hi Sameer,

I got interview call from ISB Hyd. Any suggestions.. what is an ISB interview like? Normally what kind of questions do they ask?

Thanks
Somu
Director
Director
Send PM
How to network and build relationships for corporate success

If you learn how to build and nurture relationships in the corporate world, you can get a lot accomplished that your purely technically focussed colleagues would never be able to match. Get this apsect right and it’ll be worth more than all the technical skills you’ve picked up in your undergrad and MBA classrooms.

Ipseeta Aruni is a graduate of the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee with a keen interest in the arena of soft skills in business. If you stare hard enough, you might also see a highly talented hip-hop dancer who can amaze you with her electrifying moves on the dance floor. For now, she shares a few easier moves that you could practice in your career and take it on accelerated growth path…without an MBA...Read More
Director
Director
Send PM
ssmba wrote:
Hi Sameer,

I got interview call from ISB Hyd. Any suggestions.. what is an ISB interview like? Normally what kind of questions do they ask?

Thanks
Somu

Congrats, Somu.

The basic rules apply to almost all interviews - know your application inside out, identify weak areas and pre-empt questions (this applies to your pre-MBA career, why MBA or what after MBA). ISB tends to be a little less predictable compared to many international schools. Depends on who is there in the interview panel.

I spoke to another candidate y'day who got a case study (though it's become a little less frequent now). But this also had to do with the industry that he came from, so we had covered it much earlier (in the MBA MAP). Some general knowledge brushing up (on current affairs, important milestones from the past etc) will also be good.

We offer an ISB interview preparation service too and our conversion rate so far has been pretty good. But in your case I'm not sure if there'd be enough time to squeeze it in.

If you can't practice with an expert, get a few friends to do a mock-interview for you. Getting all the answers right in your head is very different from verbalising them. So practice a few times before you go for the actual one.

Here's an earlier post from our blog that you might find useful:
- How to prepare for interviews for free

Good luck buddy. Come back and share your experience.
Director
Director
Send PM
MBA Essay Tips: Dealing with silly mistakes after submitting applications

Hope you never have to experience how frustrating it can be. After spending days on your MBA essays and ensuring all the answers to the why mba, why now, why this bschool have been addressed, you hit the ‘Submit Application’ button. And suddenly it feels like a big load has been taken off the shoulders.

But then something draws you back to the MS Word document that you had used to prepare the drafts. Maybe it’s the desire to go back and appreciate the wonderful product that you’ve created. ‘I’d love to be part of the vibrant Kellogg community…’. Just a little problem, though. The application that you just submitted was for London Business School...Read More
Director
Director
Send PM
JD-MBA Program – Kellogg School of Management : Dual degree FAQ

Dual degrees like the JD-MBA offered by the Kellogg School of Management and Northwestern University’s School of Law can be a great way to learn about two disciplines that have more overlap that we generally assume. However, compared to the regular 2-year MBA programs, these longer and more expensive joint degree options can seem more mysterious than they are. Apart from the data available on the school websites, there’s not much information about JD-MBA programs.

Jeremy Wilson had a very eclectic background – engineering, politics, consulting, startups, archaeology – before he decided to attend the JD-MBA program at Kellogg. In this interview he answers many of the frequently asked questions about the program...Read More
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Sameer
I wanted to take this opportunity and discuss my profile with you to get a fair idea of what colleges I would get thru for MBA in USA.

My background:

1) Graduated from top 5 Engg colleges in Mumbai university in Electronics and Telecom with first class in 2005
2) Worked in Accenture for 1 yr in IT
3) Did my MS in EE in NJIT in USA & graduated in 2007 with GPA 3.6
4) Did my internship @ ESSIT Inc where I was trained to work on Business Process evaluation and Development in SAP. Worked with them from March 2007 to Sept 2008 for their clients.
5) Implemented SAP in 7 months for 3 subunits of Mars Inc for SAP SD from Sept 2008 to July 2009
6) Due to recession - other consultants were rolled off & I continued to work on support and new developments on the same project now handling SAP SD, MM, PP & WM .. from Aug 2009 to current. (Also took up the load of SAP CRM since July 2010)

This might sound a bit unconventional for 1 person to do everything, but since the units are small - they hv limited budget.
My role involves interacting with the Business users & Leadership teams to discuss their upcoming requirements & implementing end to end developments along with a SAP FI consultant who does his part for that development.

Also interacting with Offshore developers to get the technical work is a part of the work.
I have immense knowledge of the Business Processes in all the modules which I have listed & consider myself to be amongst the very few SAP consultants who have so much visibility.

7) I have also been actively involved in a NGO and volunteering in counseling Mental Health Patients to overcome their mental issues and get them back to normal & reintroduce them in to the society. I have been doing this for a year now.

I haven't given my GMAT yet .. planning to give it before June 5th 2012 when the format will change.
I believe I should be able to get 750+

My desires:
After thinking a lot - I think I would like to get into Management Consulting in Strategy in the top 10 colleges if possible.
And then I hv dreams to get into the top 3 firms M/B/B if possible.

I plan to do by MBA in 2014 as currently I hv filed my Green Card and hope to get it by early 2013 and then plan to work for my employer for a while.
Also plan to get married during this period and hence want to go for an MBA in 2014 fall ( age = 30 & 1/2 and the WE = 8+)

Let me know your evaluation and what you think about the colleges I can get into for Management Consulting (At this point, I dont know which are the good colleges for Consulting).
Also since I have some time for applying - if you feel I can improve on certain aspect of my application, Please suggest the same.

Thanks for your time & patience
Vin
Director
Director
Send PM
Choosing a Bschool: Is Harvard the best MBA program in the world?

While selecting bschools, variations of this question pop up in the minds of MBA applicants. Other queries falling in a similar category are as follows.

- Which is the best 2 year (or 1 year) MBA program?
- Are US universities better than those in the UK or Europe?
- Should I choose international business schools over Indian MBA colleges?

All of these questions are natural to have and justified, considering how much you would be investing in the program. Ask most Indian applicants and most would have a standard answer...Read More
Director
Director
Send PM
Simon MBA Rochester admit with scholarship

MBA scholarships are tough to come by at the good business schools. Convert $20,000 into Indian Rupees (what would you do with the extra 10 lakhs that you save?) and the MBA success story sounds so much better.
For Ankit Chopra, all this came after he had put in more than the usual share of MBA application effort. Starting from his GMAT preparation to the time it took to write the best possible MBA essays.
The end result was that the helpful Associate Dean from the Simon MBA program was advising Ankit on the electives he should be taking in the course that would be aligned with his career interests...Read More
Director
Director
Send PM
Smeal MBA Penn State Full-tuition scholarship plus stipend

When MBA education costs are spiralling out of control, a full-tuition scholarship can mean a lot to Indian candidates with pockets that aren’t as deep as their other MBA classmates.

Smeal MBA granted a full-ride (100% tuition waiver) and more, in terms of a steady income (stipend) to Kumar Pushkal.

He stands tall and confident today, as the entrepreneur in him knows very well that he’s already got his RoI even before he starts his MBA program at a top school known for its Supply Chain specialization.

In this guest post, he describes how and what he did to get not only an admit but also a whole lot of free money from one of his top choice business schools...Read more
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
I am planning to apply for INSEAD R1 for Jan 2013 intake. I request you to go through my profile given below and give me your feedback.

Indian M 27
GMAT 650 (Dec 31 2011 AWA 5), 730(Feb 6 2012 AWA 4)
WE: 4yrs 7 Months
International Work Experience: Nil
Employer: L&T ECC Division
Good academics with above 90% in 10th and 12th. 8.1 CGPA in B.Tech
Adjudged Best Outgoing Student in UG course
Decent extracurricular (Organisation of events, Magazine Editor for company magazine)
Director
Director
Send PM
It’s time to revisit MBA entrance processes

My article in Firstpost.com focussing on the lopsided weightage given to standardised entrance tests in Indian Bschools.

Got an opinion about it? Please share it as a comment below that article...Read more
Director
Director
Send PM
Vanderbilt MBA in HR – Human Resource Management

Sonal Yadav thinks of the Vanderbilt MBA program as the ‘Harvard in HR’. She had a bit of a rough ride with her GMAT score and she was pretty clear about the schools that she wanted to apply to.

And many of her advisors and well-wishers painted a bleak scenario for an international candidate trying to get into a Human Resources role in an American company.

But she went ahead and applied to the Vandy MBA. Minutes after she had wrapped up a fantastic interview with the Vanderbilt admissions officer, she got a shock. And then soon after, a pleasant surprise. Sonal has written interesting articles for a US-based newspaper. See if her flair for journalism comes across in her writing....Read More
Director
Director
Send PM
Management Consulting Jobs: 1. Why consulting?

Our last post on strategy consulting jobs got a lot of interest (check out the comments to that post vis-a-vis the others). But due to our focus on MBA essays, we couldn’t write more about the topic. Then we got to know about Jaineel Aga, a management consultant turned private equity professional who’s been active in the field for many years. In fact, he has also written a book that explains how Indian professionals can get consulting jobs...Read More
Director
Director
Send PM
Story of an MBA dropout – An IITian goes Beyond The MBA Hype

This wasn’t meant to be a promotional post for the MBA book. In fact, many of the events in this story happened many years back, before the book was published. I had almost forgotten about the interactions with our friend, Amit (name changed).

But he got in touch again after reading the book and mentioned that the content and advice in the book resonated with the discussions we had many moons back. I asked if he’d be willing to share his story with others who might be thinking a lot of what’s mentioned in the book is pure fiction.
Several names (including the narrator, bschools and his employers) have not been revealed, for reasons that will become apparent once you read his story. And trust us, this post isn’t made up...Read More
Director
Director
Send PM
vin1984 wrote:
Hi Sameer
I wanted to take this opportunity and discuss my profile with you to get a fair idea of what colleges I would get thru for MBA in USA.
:
Thanks for your time & patience
Vin
Hi Vin,

Not sure if I've answered your query on another forum. Let me know if you are still waiting for a response.
Director
Director
Send PM
jaisraju wrote:
I am planning to apply for INSEAD R1 for Jan 2013 intake. I request you to go through my profile given below and give me your feedback.

Indian M 27
GMAT 650 (Dec 31 2011 AWA 5), 730(Feb 6 2012 AWA 4)
WE: 4yrs 7 Months
International Work Experience: Nil
Employer: L&T ECC Division
Good academics with above 90% in 10th and 12th. 8.1 CGPA in B.Tech
Adjudged Best Outgoing Student in UG course
Decent extracurricular (Organisation of events, Magazine Editor for company magazine)

Raju,

Normally folks assume INSEAD rejects candidates outright if they don't have international experience. From our experience that's untrue. We have worked with someone who joined INSEAD with zero overseas exposure.

But he did bring a lot of unique qualities to the table, starting with an unconventional background. And a compelling storyline. You have the unconventional background (that's a good start). Beyond that there's very little you've shared about your post MBA careers plans, so can't provide any specific suggestions on what you could do.
Director
Director
Send PM
Does your designation really matter?

Beyond setting an internal pecking order within the organisation, from an employee's perspective, what is the utility of this tag? Read more
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20  ...  41