Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3525 [60]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618845 [27]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT Date: 05-28-2013
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Robots X, Y, and Z each assemble components at their [#permalink]
laythesmack23 wrote:
Does this equation work when plugging in numbers, opposed to looking at pure variables?

Sure. Lets say the rates are X = 5, Y = 6 and Z = 7.

Y/Z = 6/7 -> as stated in II

X/Y = 5/6 and Y/Z = 6/7 -> 5/6< 6/7 as stated in I

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1210 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: LBS MIF '15
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Robots X, Y, and Z each assemble components at their respective constant rates. If r(x) is the ratio of robot X's constant rate to robot Z's constant rate and r(y) is the ratio of robot Y's constant rate to robot Z's constant rate, is robot Z's constant rate the greatest of the three?

Let the rates of robots X, Y, and Z be x, y, and z respectively. Given: \(r_x=\frac{x}{z}\) and \(r_y=\frac{y}{z}\). Question is \(z>x\) and \(z>y\)?

(1) \(r_x<r_y\) --> \(\frac{x}{z}<\frac{y}{z}\) --> \(x<y\). Not sufficient.

(2) \(r_y<1\) --> \(\frac{y}{z}<1\) --> \(y<z\). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) As \(x<y\) and \(y<z\) then \(x<y<z\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Bunuel,

Please help me clarify. The question says "Robots X, Y, and Z each assemble components at their respective constant rates. If r(x) is the ratio of robot X's constant rate to robot Z's constant rate", so if it is rates, why is X's constant rate not 1/X (which is the rate of completing one unit of work, and Z's rate would therefore be 1/Z. Thus r(x) would be 1/X : 1/Z? What am I misunderstanding here?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618845 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
bulletpoint wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Robots X, Y, and Z each assemble components at their respective constant rates. If r(x) is the ratio of robot X's constant rate to robot Z's constant rate and r(y) is the ratio of robot Y's constant rate to robot Z's constant rate, is robot Z's constant rate the greatest of the three?

Let the rates of robots X, Y, and Z be x, y, and z respectively. Given: \(r_x=\frac{x}{z}\) and \(r_y=\frac{y}{z}\). Question is \(z>x\) and \(z>y\)?

Bunuel,

Please help me clarify. The question says "Robots X, Y, and Z each assemble components at their respective constant rates. If r(x) is the ratio of robot X's constant rate to robot Z's constant rate", so if it is rates, why is X's constant rate not 1/X (which is the rate of completing one unit of work, and Z's rate would therefore be 1/Z. Thus r(x) would be 1/X : 1/Z? What am I misunderstanding here?

Because we denoted rates by x , y, and z: let the rates of robots X, Y, and Z be x, y, and z respectively.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Hello Everyone,
In OG 13, the question uses "rx" and "ry" in the question stem but "r_x (x in suffix)" and "r_y(y in suffix)".
Are these typos?
Or am I supposed to guess that rx and ry of question stem has been converted to r_x and r_y in the two given options?
TIA,
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618845 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
drebellion wrote:
Hello Everyone,
In OG 13, the question uses "rx" and "ry" in the question stem but "r_x (x in suffix)" and "r_y(y in suffix)".
Are these typos?
Or am I supposed to guess that rx and ry of question stem has been converted to r_x and r_y in the two given options?
TIA,

It's a typo. x and y must be indexes in both stem and the statements.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you for your reply Bunuel.
Also thank you for pointing out the error/typo in Diagnostic Test Q 5 (Cylindrical tank contains 36PI f3 of water...)

At lest for the second question (Cylindrical Tank...) we will never know if its a typo or the guys who had this question in their real GMAT were unfortunate! :(

Thanks Anyway!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
Assume the individual rates be X, Y and Z respectively for the robots.
Given: X/Z = \(r_x\) and Y/Z = \(r_y\)
Required: Is Z the greatest?

Statement 1: \(r_x < r_y\)
Hence X/Z < Y/Z
Or, X < Y - (i)
We do not have any information about Z.
INSUFFICIENT

Statement 2: \(r_y < 1\)
Or Y/Z < 1
Hence Y < Z - (ii)
We do not know anything about X.
INSUFFICIENT

Combining both statements:
From (i) and (ii), we know that
X < Y and Y < Z
Hence X < Y < Z

SUFFICIENT

Correct Option: C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2334 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ajit257 wrote:

(1) \(r_x<r_y\)
(2) \(r_y<1\)

Can some explain the reasoning behind this ques.

Fist of all we need to remember that rate can never be negative.
this makes the question super easy to deal

(1) \(r_x<r_y\)

meaning

\(\frac{x}{z}<\frac{y}{z}\) {since neither x,y,z are rates and rate cannot be negative; therefore we can remove z from both side it easily without worrying about the sign}

so

\(x<y\)

NO info about z

INSUFFICINET

(2) \(r_y<1\)

meaning\(\frac{y}{z}\) is less than 1

No info about rate of x or rate of z

INSUFFICIENT

merge both statements

\(\frac{x}{z}<\frac{y}{z}<1\)

multiply each term with z

\(z*\frac{x}{z}<z*\frac{y}{z}<z*1\)

x<y<z

Therefore Z is greatest

SUFFICIENT
ANSWER IS C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Hi Bunuel, I prefectly understad your solution, but why I can't reach the same conclusion if I use the notation 1/x, 1/y, 1/z to denote the 3 rates? After all the rate is output/time, therfore it should work also in this way...

Thanks

EDIT: sorry I wrote something stuopid, it works fine also using the notation 1/x etc
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Bunuel, why are we not taking the 1/x, 1/y format? shouldnt r(x) be (1/x)/1/z = z/x? and r(y) in the same manner? Thank you.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618845 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheLordCommander wrote:
Bunuel, why are we not taking the 1/x, 1/y format? shouldnt r(x) be (1/x)/1/z = z/x? and r(y) in the same manner? Thank you.

In the solution I denoted rates by x , y, and z because we need to find the ratio of rates and it makes more sense to do this way. We could denoted the times of robots X, Y, and Z by x , y, and z and in this case, since the rate is reciprocal of time, the rates would be 1/x. 1/y, and 1/z but the way I did is better for this problem.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
TheLordCommander wrote:

In the solution I denoted rates by x , y, and z because we need to find the ratio of rates and it makes more sense to do this way. We could denoted the times of robots X, Y, and Z by x , y, and z and in this case, since the rate is reciprocal of time, the rates would be 1/x. 1/y, and 1/z but the way I did is better for this problem.

I understand Bunuel, thank you. Please review if the following solution is correct too -

If we use 1/x, 1/y and 1/z, we get rx = z/x and ry as z/y. To have the greatest rate, the denominator should be lowest; so z will have to be lower than x and y.

Statement 1 - rx<ry that means z/x<z/y => y<x. Not sufficieent.

Statement 2 - ry<1=> z/y<1 =>z<y => z<y. Not sufficient.

Statement 1+2 - z<y<x - sufficient. C.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6272 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Expert Reply
ajit257 wrote:

(1) \(r_x<r_y\)
(2) \(r_y<1\)

We are given that rx = the ratio of robot X’s constant rate to robot Z’s constant rate.

If we let A = the rate of robot X and C = the rate of robot Z, we can say:

A/C = rx

We are also given that ry = the ratio of robot Y’s constant rate to robot Z’s constant rate. If we let B = the rate of robot Y, we can say:

B/C = ry

We need to determine whether C is greater than both A and B.

Statement One Alone:

rx < ry

Statement one tells us that A/C < B/C. We can multiply both sides by C and obtain:

A < B

Thus, the rate of robot X is less than the rate of robot Y. However, we still do not know whether the rate of robot Z is greater than the rate of either robot X or robot Y. Statement one is not sufficient to answer the question.

Statement Two Alone:

ry < 1

Since ry < 1, B/C < 1 or B < C.

Thus, the rate of robot Z is greater than the rate of robot Y. However, we still do not know whether the rate of robot Z is greater than the rate of robot X. Statement two is not sufficient to answer the question.

Statements One and Two Together:

From statements one and two we know that the rate of robot X is less than the rate of robot Y and that the rate of robot Z is greater than the rate of robot Y. Thus, if the rate of robot Y is less than the rate of robot Z, then the rate of robot X must also be less than the rate of robot Z. Therefore, the rate of robot Z must be the greatest.

Answer: C
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts