Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
WE:Editorial and Writing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Re: 100 points difference between MGMAT and Knewton? [#permalink]
I am also in the same boat.

I have taken four mgmat tests , my split has been - 43/44 in Quant and 28-32 in Verbal, so the scored in four test varied from 600-640.

Now, in case of knewton, my quant was 42/43 , but my verbal went down to 26/25 even.

I really feel very demotivated after seeing score of knewton, i thought mgmat is the best ( among all available prep companies ) , so the algorithm of mgmat must be able to mimic the score as close as possible.

given the comments on this post , does it mean that if my quant in mgmat is 44 consistently for four tests , i would ideally score higher than 44 in the real test considering that quant of mgmat is tougher than real gmat ?

same time, if my verbal in mgmat has been in the range of 28-32, do you think my real time gmat would be lower than the given range considering mgmat verbal is a bit easy.

I know that scores can not be predicted accurately and all, but just want to have idea as to where do i stand realistically.. and where can i allocate more time for my prep , i have only 15 days left in exam now.

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I posted a full reply, but GMAT Club deleted it. In summary:

-Don't be discouraged by low Knewton quant scores; algorithm is a bit tougher than real exam. Highest quant score was 45, real quant score was 48

-Verbal score is a bit more accurate; although I couldn't crack 39 until my last practice exam (43), I scored a 42 on the real thing.

-Official GMAT practice exam from official gmat website is most accurate as far as scoring, but you have to take it when your mind is fresh. On the last official practice exam I took a few days before taking the real thing, I scored Q44 V41. Upon further inspection, I made many careless errors on quant due to mental fatigue (worked a full day beforehand) On the real thing, I scored a Q48.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Oddly enough, I am stronger at verbal, generally, but have done significantly better on the MGMAT quant than on Knewton's quant.

Here are my score breakdowns (in the order in which I took the tests)
Knewton diagnostic- 34Q, 38V (580)
Knewton #1- 36Q, 44V (640)
Knewton #2- 31Q, 37V (560)
MGMAT #1-46Q, 35V (670)
Knewton #3- 39Q, 33V (590)
MGMAT #2- 44Q, 38V (680)
Knewton #4- 33Q, 42V (610)
Knewton #5-33Q, 37V (570)
MGMAT #3- 44Q, 42V (710)

Any thoughts?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
That's quite strange... i am puzzled at this very consistent difference.... I know MGMAT has a pretty good co-relation with the real GMAT. At the same time Knewton is supposed to be very well tuned as well, so what's missing?

I guess we need a GMAT Prep to resolve the controversy :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Very interesting. From what I remember with MGMAT math, it was very algebra heavy, which may be one of your strengths. Unfortunately for you, GMAT quant is much more broad, with lots of tricks involved. Knewton questions are much more like official questions than MGMAT questions are, with some of them actually taken verbatim from the OG (numbers changed, obviously).

My advice would be to take an official practice exam and see what the score breakdown is. Be sure to remember the breakdown, because the software does not store that information anywhere once you click past that screen. From there, depending on your results, practice relevant information like crazy with Official Guide and Knewton questions. Don't even bother with MGMAT. I used MGMAT exclusively for my first test (660), then Knewton exclusively for my second test (730). The results speak for themselves. MGMAT did a wonderful job with helping me brush up my fundamentals, but Knewton took me to the next level.

And no, I am definitely not an employee of Knewton!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I can at least say that I did 40-50 points better on the actual GMAT than I did on the first two MGMAT tests. So I think that could be a good sign for you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Hi.

I took gmatprep today, i scored 590 ( V - 26, Q - 44 ) , although i had to take it early morning immediately after waking up, i believe i could not focus on the test as i could otherwise, but did not have an option.

I need inputs for my prep for the next 8 days.

1) My accuracy at OG - SC 70%, CR - 70% and RC - 55%
2) Scores at Mgmat 600-640 ( Q - 43/44 and verbal 28-32 )
3) Knewton - 580 - ( Q - 42 , V - 26 )

I started my prep around dec 15th, so i have done OG only once till now.

I believe my strenths are SC and CR ( but only when i take them in slots of 15/20 problems :( , when i take all of them together, i make a lot of mistakes )

My strategy for next seven days ( considering that i need 650 )

1) To take 3 practice tests ( no test in last two days from the date of test )
2) Review of manhattan advanced quant ( for strategy ) ==== am not sure this is right move or not :(
3) dedicate maximum time for SC, CR and RC ( in the order from hightest to lowest )

Doubt :

Recently i did verbal 2 - sc, rc and cr , my accuracy was as high as 75% ( combining all qs - not only first few of the guide ), so do you guys think i have the problem of pacing here ????

I really feel drained after 10/15 Qs of verbal , with quant i dont face this problem though.

Please suggest me strategy for the next 7 days.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Well, I took a GMATPrep exam and got a 690 (40Q, 44V), so I guess this means I fall somewhere in the middle, but MGMAT is a little more accurate.
GMAT Club Bot