Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats!

Thanks for sharing you experiences.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the kind responses.

Although there are A LOT of good resources out there, I read Richard Montauk's "How To Get Into the Top MBA Programs" before working on my essays and applications, etc. It allowed me to collect my thoughts, get organized, etc.

I made myself complete one entire set of essays (for one school) before doing any others. Also, I forced myself to write the "why do you want your MBA / why now / why our school?" essay first. I made sure I could clearly explain my intentions, need for an MBA, and future goals. This is imperative, IMO.
And quite frankly, the rest of the essays came pretty easily after that.
I wrote approx one essay a week. I chose 3 people to edit my essays - individuals I trusted - w/ good writing skills & know me well. The hardest part for me was making myself STOP editing and making changes!! I had to force myself to say, "I'm done w/ this essay & I'm moving on!" :rotate

Word of advice: don't lose your original voice in your essays. In other words, don't let friends/family change your essay into something entirely different. Carefully pick/choose what changes & suggestions you want to incorporate.

As for the interviews ...
I consulted accepted.com and Motauk's chapter on interviewing for possible questions. I then drafted answers to almost all of them. I practiced out loud w/ a friend. Studied my resume, transcript, and essays. Researched the schools like crazy! Made sure I knew about the best professors, what majors I would select at each school, classes I wanted to take, etc.

As I mentioned, neither of the interviews were intimidating - the interviewers were friendly and warm. They really wanted to know why I want my MBA, why now, why their school, and my future plans/goals. I was asked to "describe a typical work day" - which was a difficult question for me, since I don't have a very routine job! :suspect As I'm sure is the case for most people.
Best advice for the interviews is to be yourself! (Well, don't be yourself if you're a jerk. :lol: ) Smile, ask questions, be friendly, outgoing, enthusiastic!

And make sure you carefully choose and then track the people writing your letters of recommendation. I would even suggest giving them an earlier deadline (vs. the actual application deadline).

Take care. I will let you know where I end up going! :flower
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fantastic post. I really appreciate your inputs Ceg. All the best at Kellogg(or Chicago)!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi there,
Well I got into Chicago GSB, too!

I am totally excited - but what to do?!?!
I always thought Kellogg for sure (my dream school) ....

I intend to study Decision Sciences and Management/Strategy ...

Any suggestions or opinions?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The two schools are pretty even in general reputation, but I would give Northwestern a slight edge in management/strategy.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Because of my stronger interest in finance, Chicago would have been my pick. If you want a broader management school and given that Kellogg is already your dream school, go for it! The fit is definitely important now that you have the gift of choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ceg, congrats on everything. You deserve it. :wink:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
hi there, thanks again for the advice/support.

accepted the kellogg offer ... starting in june! can't wait. :)
thanks again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hello ceg,

Congrats again on those two great admits. Looking at your writing flare makes me think Kellogg will be a better fit for you. Anyway that's not to say that Chicago is ................ :wink:
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]