Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]
Hi Matt,

Is it too late to submit an application now?
Are the chances of acceptance for applications submitted at this time lower?

Thanks,
Dina
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi admissions team

Though I know that Adcom will look at the overall application, I was wondering whether a GMAT testing history of 640 (Q40/V36), 640(Q42/V38), 710(Q42/V45), with more or less consistent 60% scores in Quant would be an almost automatic reason for disqualification at Columbia. I'm a healthcare analyst with a large consulting firm, so I have demonstrated quant skills at work, but otherwise my undergrad quant scores are low too.

Again, I realize that the overall application is considered, but does that score history sound like a big deal-breaker?

Regards
A.
Send PM
DGGG wrote:
Hi Matt,

Is it too late to submit an application now?
Are the chances of acceptance for applications submitted at this time lower?

Thanks,
Dina

Hi Dina,

We are still accepting and reviewing applications for the August entry. We are admitting applicants on a rolling basis so there are fewer spots available than there were earlier in the cycle, however applicants can still be admitted if they apply up until the deadline.

Good luck!
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Aximili85 wrote:
Hi admissions team

Though I know that Adcom will look at the overall application, I was wondering whether a GMAT testing history of 640 (Q40/V36), 640(Q42/V38), 710(Q42/V45), with more or less consistent 60% scores in Quant would be an almost automatic reason for disqualification at Columbia. I'm a healthcare analyst with a large consulting firm, so I have demonstrated quant skills at work, but otherwise my undergrad quant scores are low too.

Again, I realize that the overall application is considered, but does that score history sound like a big deal-breaker?

Regards
A.

Hi A.

As you know the application process is holistic and the GMAT is just one aspect of the process. There is never a single reason for admission or denial, so unfortunately there isn't a simple answer to your question. If you have taken your GMAT several times and you feel it will not change, then I suggest focusing on the other parts of your application.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Matt,

Can an applicant who has been denied admission for Fall 2012 apply for J-Term for the term starting January 2013?

Thanks.
Send PM
CBSCBSCBS wrote:
Hi Matt,

Can an applicant who has been denied admission for Fall 2012 apply for J-Term for the term starting January 2013?

Thanks.

Hi CBSCBSCBS,

Yes applicants who applied for the August 2012 can reapply for January 2013. Please visit https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admiss ... plications for information on the reapplication process.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
Send PM
Hi Matt!

Just wanted to check when would the application for Jan 13 intake start? Is it going to be 1st May, or later part of the month. Also, are the essay and recommendation questions expected to change from the current application?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: SAG-AFTRA, AEA
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-20-2013
WE:Performing Arts (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Greetings CBS!

I am planning on applying to CBS this fall for a 2013 matriculation, but before I do I was hoping to garner some info regarding non-traditional applicants. My narrative is a strange and circuitous one. At 40, and as an actor here in NYC and LA, I feel a little trepidatious applying for business school since I come from such a different background compared with most applicants.

A brief synopsis then: I graduated from The Juilliard School ten years ago and have been a professional actor ever since - meaning I have not had any other jobs. I have done everything from Shakespeare in the Park to Broadway to television and film and even commercials and voice overs, and am looking to enter into the business side of the Media/Entertainment industry post b-school. What advice in general would you have for someone like me when applying? For instance, what should I do with regards to my resume and letters of recommendation on my application, etc?

Any information you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

All the best,
Charles
Send PM
fllfthm5 wrote:
Greetings CBS!

I am planning on applying to CBS this fall for a 2013 matriculation, but before I do I was hoping to garner some info regarding non-traditional applicants. My narrative is a strange and circuitous one. At 40, and as an actor here in NYC and LA, I feel a little trepidatious applying for business school since I come from such a different background compared with most applicants.

A brief synopsis then: I graduated from The Juilliard School ten years ago and have been a professional actor ever since - meaning I have not had any other jobs. I have done everything from Shakespeare in the Park to Broadway to television and film and even commercials and voice overs, and am looking to enter into the business side of the Media/Entertainment industry post b-school. What advice in general would you have for someone like me when applying? For instance, what should I do with regards to my resume and letters of recommendation on my application, etc?

Any information you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

All the best,
Charles

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your question. We are not looking for a specific type of work experience for the MBA program. We have had actors and artists in the past apply and be admitted. You will need to submit a resume, but we do not have specific requirements for this. As far as recommendations we want professional recommendations so choose two recommenders who know you well and can speak to your skills and potential as a professional. This is really no different than any other applicant; however if there is anything in your work experience you feel needs to be explained further you can give us more information in the optional essay.

Best of luck,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hello, there are a few of us who applied before the merit deadline (Jan 4) but have not heard anything back, including interview invites or rejections. I understand CBS follows a rolling admissions process, but could you provide any clarity on when we can expect to hear a response considering it has been roughly 3 months since submission? Many thanks for your time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hi Admissions Team,

How many 30+ candidates do you admit? Would a candidate be at a disadvantage due to age?

Thanks.
Send PM
kookie wrote:
Hello, there are a few of us who applied before the merit deadline (Jan 4) but have not heard anything back, including interview invites or rejections. I understand CBS follows a rolling admissions process, but could you provide any clarity on when we can expect to hear a response considering it has been roughly 3 months since submission? Many thanks for your time.

Hi kookie,

Thank you for your question. We try to get applicants decisions between 8-12 weeks from when their application went under review; however this can be extended. If you have specific questions about your application please contact us at apply@gsb.columbia.edu.

Regards,
Send PM
someone79 wrote:
Hi Admissions Team,

How many 30+ candidates do you admit? Would a candidate be at a disadvantage due to age?

Thanks.

Hi someone79

Thank you for your e-mail. We admit several applicants each year who are 30 and over. Age does not put applicants at a disadvantage.

Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
ColumbiaMBA wrote:

Hi A.

As you know the application process is holistic and the GMAT is just one aspect of the process. There is never a single reason for admission or denial, so unfortunately there isn't a simple answer to your question. If you have taken your GMAT several times and you feel it will not change, then I suggest focusing on the other parts of your application.

Good luck,

Hi Matt, my apologies I realized before writing it that it was too generic!
- Let me rephrase, is there any average/median GMAT quant score breakdown for current students there? A range perhaps? Website only lists total avg. GMAT score and median range.

- Alternately, have students who have a low quant score that have been admitted into CBS in the past displayed quantitative abilities in other aspects of their resume to compensate? For example, would taking and excelling in a good online Business stats course demonstrate quant aptitude to an extent (e.g. Cornell)? Again, I realize there's no straight forward answer to this one, but is it a good "öptional essay" topic?

Sorry to press this, but I'm trying my best to gauge whether I'm CBS applicant-worthy material as its currently on my top 3 list for 2013. Thanks for your time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Hi Admissions Team,

I'm colombian and English isn't my native language. I took the TOEFL and got 98/120 which I don't know if its enough to get into Columbia Business School. Should I retake the TOEFL?

Is there any minimum TOEFL score recommended to apply into Columbia.

Many thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I applied for Fall 2012 but got a reject. If I am applying again to CSB for Fall 2013, I will be adding a reapplicant essay, but other essays will remain more or less same. I will be able to show developments in my professional/personal life in my CV/Resume and Extra-curricular activities.

1) Does most of the reapplicants have the same essays they had the previous year?

2) Or do you expect to have fresh essays?

3) Also does an AWA score of 4 automatically makes a reject, or are there people with AWA of 4 being accepted by CSB?

4) Since I am an International Applicant required to submit Toefl/PTE score, I would like to know what is the mean range of PTE score

5)And what score in writing in PTE will negate the effect of AWA score of 4

Regards
Send PM
Aximili85 wrote:
ColumbiaMBA wrote:

Hi A.

Good luck,

Hi Matt, my apologies I realized before writing it that it was too generic!
- Let me rephrase, is there any average/median GMAT quant score breakdown for current students there? A range perhaps? Website only lists total avg. GMAT score and median range.

- Alternately, have students who have a low quant score that have been admitted into CBS in the past displayed quantitative abilities in other aspects of their resume to compensate? For example, would taking and excelling in a good online Business stats course demonstrate quant aptitude to an extent (e.g. Cornell)? Again, I realize there's no straight forward answer to this one, but is it a good "öptional essay" topic?

Sorry to press this, but I'm trying my best to gauge whether I'm CBS applicant-worthy material as its currently on my top 3 list for 2013. Thanks for your time.

Hi Aximili85,

Thank you for following up. We do not have a break out for the quant section of the GMAT. We look at all aspects of the application so if applicants take additional courses we will certainly take those into consideration. We will also look at work experience when we consider an applicant's abilities. If you feel that you want to explain your quant scores and how you have shown quant ability in other aspects of your profile you may do so in the optional essay.

Good Luck,
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts