Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:GWSB
GMAT 2: 610
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Smith(university of maryland) vs McDonough(Georgetown) [#permalink]
That's exactly what I meant, by saying it's only what is better for you. We all have different preferences, goals, inclinations. Last year I got admitted to Smith and GW part-time programs. It was not easy to choose, just like you feel it now, but ultimately I decided GW was a better fit for me. And you will choose what fits you best.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
And you will choose what fits you best.

yes no one can argue that. may be indirectly i am looking for someone to validate my decision and reassure that "YES you have taken the right decision". why i need the validation is i am spending lot of money and the stakes are high.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
skpMatcha wrote:
Smith : the program is matured and is leader in the MBA Programs in DC area.
McDonough : Is new in this field and is trying to catch up with Smith and as you said drawing reputation from the parent univeristy.

It's an old thread, but I thought it needs update in the light of the latest BW BSchools ranking.
McDonough has moved from Second Tier in 2008 to 33-d place in 2010, while Smith slid from 26 to 42. Even before this happened I felt that GT MBA is a better brand than Smith. Now it is confirmed by BW rankings too. Some other rankings have been placing GT higher even earlier than BW.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
gmatvit wrote:
skpMatcha wrote:
Smith : the program is matured and is leader in the MBA Programs in DC area.
McDonough : Is new in this field and is trying to catch up with Smith and as you said drawing reputation from the parent univeristy.

It's an old thread, but I thought it needs update in the light of the latest BW BSchools ranking.
McDonough has moved from Second Tier in 2008 to 33-d place in 2010, while Smith slid from 26 to 42. Even before this happened I felt that GT MBA is a better brand than Smith. Now it is confirmed by BW rankings too. Some other rankings have been placing GT higher even earlier than BW.

Updating it again. US News has UMD at 17th, Georgetown at 21st. Given that Maryland still has the most mature rep, I'd imagine that this is why they still are higher up than G-Town. In BusinessWeek, G-Town is 26th, UMD 54th, but Elon is ranked #1 for Part Time MBA, and most people probably don't think Elon is of the likes of a Booth or Kellogg.
GMAT Club Bot