Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2555 [271]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618749 [120]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618749 [43]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [4]
Given Kudos: 12
GPA: 3.97
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel,

What if line p has a negative y intercept but line n has a positive intercept? Wouldn't that give the oposite answer?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618749 [8]
Send PM
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
nglekel wrote:
Bunuel,

What if line p has a negative y intercept but line n has a positive intercept? Wouldn't that give the oposite answer?

If line p has a negative y-intercept then its slope is positive and it will still be more than the slope of n, with positive y-intercept (if the slope of n will be positive than p will still be steeper than n, and if the slope of n is negative it obviously will be less than positive slope of p). Consider first image and rotate line n (blue) so that it to have positive y-intercept and you'll easily see the answer.

Check the following links for similar questions, where different scenarios are considered:
in-the-xy-plane-is-the-slope-of-line-l-greater-than-the-126941.html
if-the-slopes-of-the-line-l1-and-l2-are-of-the-same-sign-is-126759.html
slopes-of-m-and-n-124025.html

Also check Coordinate Geometry chapter of Math Book for theory on this subject: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
BANON wrote:
Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than the slope of line p ?

(1) Lines n and p intersect at the point (5 , 1).
(2) The y-intercept of line n is greater than the y-intercept of line p.

Algebraic approach:

Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than the slope of line p?

We have two lines: \(y_n=m_1x+b_1\) and \(y_p=m_2x+b_2\). Q: \(m_1<m_2\) true?

(1) Lines n and p intersect at the point (5,1) --> \(1=5m_1+b_1=5m_2+b_2\) --> \(5(m_1-m_2)=b_2-b_1\). Not sufficient.
(2) The y-intercept of line \(n\) is greater than the y-intercept of line \(p\) --> y-intercept is value of \(y\) for \(x=0\), so it's the value of \(b\) --> \(b_1>b_2\) or \(b_2-b_1<0\). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) \(5(m_1-m_2)=b_2-b_1\), as from (2) \(b_2-b_1<0\) (RHS), then LHS (left hand side) also is less than zero \(5(m_1-m_2)<0\) --> \(m_1-m_2<0\) --> \(m_1<m_2\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it helps.

Bunuel,

In here - \(y_n=m_1x+b_1\) and \(y_p=m_2x+b_2\). Q: \(m_1<m_2\) true?

Why have you chosen different variables for the y?

Shouldnt the two equations be y=m1x+b1 and y=m2x+b2? We always form the equation from the basic form of y=mx+c wherein we substitute the values of m and c. And if that is the case, we can get the answer from statement II only.

I know I am missing something but I am not clear as to why you have picked different variables for y but not for x.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618749 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
keenys wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
BANON wrote:
Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than the slope of line p ?

(1) Lines n and p intersect at the point (5 , 1).
(2) The y-intercept of line n is greater than the y-intercept of line p.

Algebraic approach:

Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than the slope of line p?

(1) Lines n and p intersect at the point (5,1) --> \(1=5m_1+b_1=5m_2+b_2\) --> \(5(m_1-m_2)=b_2-b_1\). Not sufficient.
(2) The y-intercept of line \(n\) is greater than the y-intercept of line \(p\) --> y-intercept is value of \(y\) for \(x=0\), so it's the value of \(b\) --> \(b_1>b_2\) or \(b_2-b_1<0\). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) \(5(m_1-m_2)=b_2-b_1\), as from (2) \(b_2-b_1<0\) (RHS), then LHS (left hand side) also is less than zero \(5(m_1-m_2)<0\) --> \(m_1-m_2<0\) --> \(m_1<m_2\). Sufficient.

Hope it helps.

Bunuel,

Shouldnt the two equations be y=m1x+b1 and y=m2x+b2? We always form the equation from the basic form of y=mx+c wherein we substitute the values of m and c. And if that is the case, we can get the answer from statement II only.

I know I am missing something but I am not clear as to why you have picked different variables for y but not for x.

n and p are subscripts of y's, not variables.

\(y=m_1x+b_1\) is equation of line n.
\(y=m_2x+b_2\) is equation of line p.

I used subscripts simply to distinguish one equation from another.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
keenys wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Algebraic approach:

Hope it helps.

Bunuel,

If that is the case then, from the above equations

we get b1=y-m1x and b2=y-m2x

Now from statement 2 we know that b1>b2...

therefore, y-m1x >y-m2x

which gives (m1-m2)x>0

So it can be proved from statement 2 only that m1>m2

Where am I going wrong?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618749 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
keenys wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
keenys wrote:
Bunuel,

If that is the case then, from the above equations

we get b1=y-m1x and b2=y-m2x

Now from statement 2 we know that b1>b2...

therefore, y-m1x >y-m2x

which gives (m1-m2)x>0

So it can be proved from statement 2 only that m1>m2

Where am I going wrong?

The y-intercept is the value of \(y\) for \(x=0\). You should substitute x=0 into both equations.

So, the y-intercept of line n is b1 and the y-intercept of line p is b2, from (2) we only have that b1>b2.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 860 [3]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
nglekel wrote:
Bunuel,

If line p has a negative y-intercept then its slope is positive and it will still be more than the slope of n, with positive y-intercept (if the slope of n will be positive than p will still be steeper than n, and if the slope of n is negative it obviously will be less than positive slope of p). Consider first image and rotate line n (blue) so that it to have positive y-intercept and you'll easily see the answer.

Hope it helps.

Experts

Please reply for my doubt.....
for below attached fig ...getting 2 diff.. answers.....
Attachments

coordinate.png
coordinate.png [ 17.92 KiB | Viewed 60269 times ]

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
rohit8865 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
nglekel wrote:
Bunuel,

Hope it helps.

Experts

Please reply for my doubt.....
for below attached fig ...getting 2 diff.. answers.....

Responding to a pm:

I am not sure I understand why you say you are getting two different answers. In both diagrams, the slope of n is less than the slope of p. We are comparing actual values of the slopes, not just the absolute values.
So say slope of n is -2 in both cases. Slope of p in the first diagram will be -1/2 and slope of p in the second diagram would be about 1.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13386 [3]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM