Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
WE:Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Rice University Jones 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
ashtreeliu wrote:
rays wrote:
If you go to the bottom of the page it should show a link to the decision..

Mine did and I'm rejected :(

Posted from my mobile device

I was rejected, the same~

anyway, let me know the result~

fight for the next year

I see my link now, and I was rejected. Looks like I'm going to Tulane on a full ride!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA
GMAT Date: 11-18-2011
GPA: 3.09
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Just checked and was waitlisted. Looks like the waiting game continues.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Rejected. Better luck next time.

Congrats to all those accepted.

For those who didn´t, i feel you.
Intern
Intern
WE:Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
thrice wrote:
Rejected. Better luck next time.

Congrats to all those accepted.

For those who didn´t, i feel you.

thx~ I guess my WE is the problem~anyway, Better luck next time!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
waitlisted :( .. anyone from R1 who was waitlisted on this forum ? could you please share your experience ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
On hitting the link, a blank page pops up.Dropped a mail to tech Support. I guess I am dinged! :cry:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys...I also got a blank screen so I switch browers, to Firefox and was able to see the screen. Waitlisted.

Anyway...I guess there is still a chance. Congrats to all who were admitted!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Rejected. My interview didn't go the greatest. Oh well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Rice University (Jones) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Sorry to those that have been rejected. Never feels good. Hopefully, your other schools will work out, and if not, consider the opportunity for Plan B can be a blessing. I had spent so much time thinking about my Plan B, I was ready to say no to school before the decision came in. As for the waitlist, be hopeful, but be active. Visit the campus again if you have time, but also network with current students and alumni as well as updating the adcom about professional/volunteer activities.

If you are curious about my decision timing - - - Tuesday morning CST I had "under review" still in the system (and had resolved myself not to hear until Friday). Late Tuesday night CST I got an email with a decision. No phone call, I think the international calling got messed up, and probably my fault (US citizen living abroad, so kind of international?). Then after receiving the email I logged into the system, "decision rendered" with a link at the bottom to extra info.

As the for women-men debate, who knows? Rule of thumb advice is to make sure you apply in the first round, especially if you are an over-represented minority. Unfortunately every adcom needs to play the numbers game.

Also, on my earlier post, after a couple days of thought, I realized that indeed, yes, I would be an idiot not to go to Rice. I realistically weighed my options, reminded why I was excited about the school in the first place, and got an ego-check after meeting other accepted students on facebook. Quite a talented and accomplished group of people. Two months ago after hitting "submit" on my application, the rankings and naysayers started to fester doubts in my mind. But it would be a terrible idea to let others dictate major career decisions.

Besides, I love Houston and Rice university is in the best part of it. Rice Village, the Med Center, Upper Kirby and Herman Park are absolutely awesome.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Other
GPA: 3.87
WE:Architecture (Other)
Send PM
Quote:
Also, on my earlier post, after a couple days of thought, I realized that indeed, yes, I would be an idiot not to go to Rice. I realistically weighed my options, reminded why I was excited about the school in the first place, and got an ego-check after meeting other accepted students on facebook. Quite a talented and accomplished group of people. Two months ago after hitting "submit" on my application, the rankings and naysayers started to fester doubts in my mind. But it would be a terrible idea to let others dictate major career decisions.

Besides, I love Houston and Rice university is in the best part of it. Rice Village, the Med Center, Upper Kirby and Herman Park are absolutely awesome.

Rice is a very up and coming school. The rankings are not a good indication of the strength of the program for several reasons. For energy, I cannot imagine a better school. Good choice. I look forward to meeting you in the fall along with the other admits!
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Was anybody else surprised by the enrollment deposit date of March 16? That is before I will have heard from a lot of the other programs I applied to.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi,

I have applied to Rice Jones School of Business in the third round and i have got a interview call. Can anybody tell that in 3 rd round does Rice still send a lot of interview calls or is it conservative? It would be great if somebody gives me some insight on the interview preparation for Jones especially. What are the chances of getting a scholarship in the R3 ? I am an international student and without scholarship it would be very difficult for me to do my MBA.

Mona
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mlsaha wrote:
Hi,

I have applied to Rice Jones School of Business in the third round and i have got a interview call. Can anybody tell that in 3 rd round does Rice still send a lot of interview calls or is it conservative? It would be great if somebody gives me some insight on the interview preparation for Jones especially. What are the chances of getting a scholarship in the R3 ? I am an international student and without scholarship it would be very difficult for me to do my MBA.

Mona

No idea how many people they call to interview. My bet is that if they call you for an interview they're pretty serious about taking you because the interview is fairly relaxed and is another shot at selling the school to you.

For interview prep, I would have a few good answers to the standard b-school questions Why MBA? Why Rice? but make sure you have some specific questions for them (for example, the ALP, Business Plan competition, partios). Also, make sure you have a strong story to explain your resume and background. Lastly, don't freak out if your interviewer is distracted or the meeting gets cut short. My interviewer had just gone through several calls and left my interview a few minutes early to run to a meeting.

No idea on the scholarships, Rice has been really proactive with their scholarships in recent years as they're trying to attract better candidates. At best by the time you get your offer, everyone from R2 has accepted/rejected so if there's money still left to give...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: branding
Schools:Kellogg, Ross, Rice, Carlson,Austin
 Q51  V38
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 6 years in telecom industry
WE 2: o.5 year in trade
Send PM
Hello all,

I have gotten an offer from Rice with 30,000 per year. At the same time, I have also gotten an offer from Carlson with full-ride scholarship. Anyone can give me some advice about which school to go? I am going to join a consultancy after graduation.

Thanks a lot !
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello mudiduange,

Did you apply in R2 to Rice Jones? I have applied in R3 and tomorrow is my interview. Can you give me some pointers in cracking the interview? Also is it correct to talk about Scholarships in the interview. I am from India and without substantial financial aid i would not be able to pursue my MBA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mudiduange wrote:
Hello all,

I have gotten an offer from Rice with 30,000 per year. At the same time, I have also gotten an offer from Carlson with full-ride scholarship. Anyone can give me some advice about which school to go? I am going to join a consultancy after graduation.

Thanks a lot !

After a quick google search since I didn't know Carlson....

Whoa, quite different situations. Minnesota vs. Texas... State school vs. Private... Similar class sizes I guess.

For consulting... Every year there are plenty of Rice MBAs that work at Ernst and Young, a few at Deloitte, and a handful that go Bain/McKinsey/etc...

I couldn't even find the employment report on the Carlson website (but I didn't look that hard). I'd talk to Alumni, and make the decision there. With only a little research, you can figure out which school will be a better career move.

If it was Rice with no scholarship verses a full-ride, the decision would be harder. But the scholarship tips it so I think your decision should be heavily weighed on career-benefit, not money. So much of the Rice benefit is harder to quantify. The networking opportunities in Houston are endless. The reason so many Rice grads stay in Texas is not because they can't go elsewhere, but it's that they don't want to.

In the end, Carlson and Rice are both stronger regionally. Consider where you'd like to live. If you are dead-set on the Midwest, go to Carlson. If you are interested in the South, go to Rice. If you really want to work in one of those top consulting firms out East, you'll be facing an uphill battle either way (though nothing's impossible).

Personally, you couldn't pay me to live in the fridged north. I have family all over the Midwest including Minnesota, but after living in Texas, I couldn't go back. Not just the weather. The difference in the economic situation in Texas vs. Midwest is blatant when you've lived in both.

@ mlsaha - don't talk about money in your interview.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: branding
Schools:Kellogg, Ross, Rice, Carlson,Austin
 Q51  V38
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 6 years in telecom industry
WE 2: o.5 year in trade
Send PM
histgirl wrote:
mudiduange wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks a lot !

After a quick google search since I didn't know Carlson....

Whoa, quite different situations. Minnesota vs. Texas... State school vs. Private... Similar class sizes I guess.

For consulting... Every year there are plenty of Rice MBAs that work at Ernst and Young, a few at Deloitte, and a handful that go Bain/McKinsey/etc...

I couldn't even find the employment report on the Carlson website (but I didn't look that hard). I'd talk to Alumni, and make the decision there. With only a little research, you can figure out which school will be a better career move.

If it was Rice with no scholarship verses a full-ride, the decision would be harder. But the scholarship tips it so I think your decision should be heavily weighed on career-benefit, not money. So much of the Rice benefit is harder to quantify. The networking opportunities in Houston are endless. The reason so many Rice grads stay in Texas is not because they can't go elsewhere, but it's that they don't want to.

In the end, Carlson and Rice are both stronger regionally. Consider where you'd like to live. If you are dead-set on the Midwest, go to Carlson. If you are interested in the South, go to Rice. If you really want to work in one of those top consulting firms out East, you'll be facing an uphill battle either way (though nothing's impossible).

Personally, you couldn't pay me to live in the fridged north. I have family all over the Midwest including Minnesota, but after living in Texas, I couldn't go back. Not just the weather. The difference in the economic situation in Texas vs. Midwest is blatant when you've lived in both.

@ mlsaha - don't talk about money in your interview.

Hey, thank you so much.

I also checked from both websites about the employment opportunity, and I think Rice sounds better.

In terms of living environment, I also like Rice very much. I like to live in a warm environment, and I think Rice is just the choice.

However, the full-ride scholarship is so much that I cannot easily pass it. In addition, I have contactedd with many staff in Carlson, and they are all very friendly. I am impressed by their willing to provide help at any situation. I think that's the main reason that makes me hard to get the final decision.

Anyway, thank you very much.

Chris
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts