Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [104]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618921 [32]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64908 [22]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Car B starts at point X and moves clockwise around [#permalink]
i don't know where i am making the mistake ...

Car B has already traveled (2 mph)(10 hours) = 20 miles in a clockwise direction by the time Car A starts moving 10 hours later in a counterclockwise direction (and from the same starting point).

let x distance from Car A starting point the two cars meet

then distance covered by car B=2pi*10-20-x
time taken by car B=(2pi*10-20-x)/2
distance covered by car A=x
time taken by car A=x/3

equating the two,
x/3=(2pi*10-20-x)/2
2x=60*pi-60-3x
x=(60*pi-60)/5
x=12(pi-1)
car B has to travel another 12 miles,therefore time taken by car B=(2pi*10-20-x+12)/2

or (20*pi-8-12*pi+12)/2=4*pi+2
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618921 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
mrinal2100 wrote:

Car B has already traveled (2 mph)(10 hours) = 20 miles in a clockwise direction by the time Car A starts moving 10 hours later in a counterclockwise direction (and from the same starting point).

time taken by car A=x/3

equating the two,
x/3=(2pi*10-20-x)/2
2x=60*pi-60-3x
x=(60*pi-60)/5
x=12(pi-1)
car B has to travel another 12 miles,therefore time taken by car B=(2pi*10-20-x+12)/2

or (20*pi-8-12*pi+12)/2=4*pi+2

What does the red part even mean? If it means the distance between B and A by the time, A starts to travel then we know exactly what it is. It equal to: \(20*\pi-20\) (car-b-starts-at-point-x-and-moves-clockwise-around-128215.html#p1050349).
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64908 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
mrinal2100 wrote:

time taken by car A=x/3

equating the two,
x/3=(2pi*10-20-x)/2
2x=60*pi-60-3x
x=(60*pi-60)/5
x=12(pi-1)

Everything is correct till here. Now, x is the distance traveled by A so time taken = x/3 = 12(pi-1)/3 = 4(pi-1)

Now notice that they have to together put 12 miles distance between them. They are moving in opposite directions so time taken to cover 12 miles together = 12/(2+3) = 2.4 hrs (relative speed concepts)

Total time taken = 4(pi-1) + 2.4 = 4*pi - 1.6 hrs
Car B has traveled 10 hrs extra so it must have been traveling for 4*pi - 1.6 + 10 = 4*pi + 8.4 hrs
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V38
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Hi Karishma,

I have been fan of your logical approach, which I keep applying wherever possible. More so when I am not very comfortable with algebra part of word problems. I am attempting to solve this question based on logic.

I will consider Pi as 3. So the distance round the circle is 20pi or 60 mi approx.
Out of this Car B has already traveled 20 mi in 10 hours. Thus we are left with 40 mi to be covered by A and B together but driving in opposite direction @ 3km/hr and 2km/hr respectively. Thus to cover balance distance plus 12km i.e. 52miles, I need 52/5=10.4 hours.

Thus answer is 10hours plus 10.4 hours i.e. 20.4 hours and answer choice B (4pi+8.4) is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
I think there is a flaw in this question...

moving on a circular track could not be CONSTANT RATE! it has variable velocity So you could not solve the problem with Rate= Distance/ time Formula. Because this formulation is just for straight distances not for circular ones...
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
manjeet1972 wrote:
Hi Karishma,

I have been fan of your logical approach, which I keep applying wherever possible. More so when I am not very comfortable with algebra part of word problems. I am attempting to solve this question based on logic.

I will consider Pi as 3. So the distance round the circle is 20pi or 60 mi approx.
Out of this Car B has already traveled 20 mi in 10 hours. Thus we are left with 40 mi to be covered by A and B together but driving in opposite direction @ 3km/hr and 2km/hr respectively. Thus to cover balance distance plus 12km i.e. 52miles, I need 52/5=10.4 hours.

Thus answer is 10hours plus 10.4 hours i.e. 20.4 hours and answer choice B (4pi+8.4) is correct.

Yes, that's absolutely fine. I followed the exact same approach above (but with pi). I hope you understand that the approximation of pi worked because the answer was also in terms of pi. If you had a pure numerical answer, you would not have assumed pi = 3. Here, pi acted like a variable. Say, if you put pi = 10, you will still get the answer (of course you will need to substitute pi = 10 in the options too)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64908 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
omidsa wrote:
I think there is a flaw in this question...

moving on a circular track could not be CONSTANT RATE! it has variable velocity So you could not solve the problem with Rate= Distance/ time Formula. Because this formulation is just for straight distances not for circular ones...

Velocity has two components - speed and direction. Velocity is variable here only because of changing direction.

Speed = Distance/Time is applicable for circular distances as well since speed is not a vector.

GMAT only deals with speed, not with velocity. Constant rate implies a constant speed.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
"for how many hours will Car B have been traveling when the cars have passed each other for the first time and put another 12 miles between them"
i have a little problem with the language of the question stem ..isint the question asking that we have to calculate the time of travel since they met for the first time and to the point when the distance between them is 12 miles .in that case the answer wud have been straight 12 /5 hrs . i feel the language is little faulty .karisma ,buneul plz claify
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
aditya8062 wrote:
"for how many hours will Car B have been traveling when the cars have passed each other for the first time and put another 12 miles between them"
i have a little problem with the language of the question stem ..isint the question asking that we have to calculate the time of travel since they met for the first time and to the point when the distance between them is 12 miles .in that case the answer wud have been straight 12 /5 hrs . i feel the language is little faulty .karisma ,buneul plz claify

The language of the question isn't very good. This does lead to different interpretations by different people sometimes. But most people will interpret it as 'from the starting point to right now (which is the point when the cars have passed each other for the first time and put another 12 miles between them)'

In GMAT, the language is always very clear. e.g. you could be given "After some time, the cars had put a distance of 12 miles between them after meeting for the first time. For how many total hrs did car B travel till this time?" - In this case, your answer is the one given above.

or you could have "After meeting for the first time, the cars continued on their respective paths and put a distance of 12 miles between them (they have met only once). How long has car B been traveling since meeting car A for the first time?" - In this case, your answer is 12/5
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
NYCAnalyst wrote:
Car B starts at point X and moves clockwise around a circular track at a constant rate of 2 mph. Ten hours later, Car A leaves from point X and travels counter-clockwise around the same circular track at a constant rate of 3 mph. If the radius of the track is 10 miles, for how many hours will Car B have been traveling when the cars have passed each other for the first time and put another 12 miles between them (measured around the curve of the track)?

A. 4pi – 1.6
B. 4pi + 8.4
C. 4pi + 10.4
D. 2pi – 1.6
E. 2pi – 0.8

It is easier to understand the question using a drawing:

\(A_1\) and \(B_1\)
are the points A and B are respectively after their first time pass. If we denote by T the time B travels from X to \(B_1\), then the total distance the two cars travel until the situation depicted in the figure is one whole circumference of the circle plus the overlap of 12 miles. Car A travels \(T-10\) hours.
We can write the following equation:
\(2T+3(T-10)=2\pi10+12\)
or \(5T=20\pi+42\),
from which we get \(T=4\pi+8.4\).

Answer: B
Attachments

CircleMotion-4GC.jpg
CircleMotion-4GC.jpg [ 12.14 KiB | Viewed 46167 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [1]
Given Kudos: 134