Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:29 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16643 [155]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618583 [69]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [30]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2135 [22]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk away from [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
siddharthasingh wrote:
Can you please let me know where am I committing mistake?
Alex already covered 4 miles. In the next t hours the total distance covered by Alex will be 4+4t.
Similarly Brenda covers Rt miles in the next t hours.
Therefore, Rt=2(4+4t)t
t=8/(R-8)

The question is "which of the following represents the amount of time, in terms of R, that Alex will have been walking when Brenda has covered twice as much distance as Alex?"

Your t is the time Brenda rode her bicycle and t + 1 is the time Alex walked.

So, you just have to add 1 to your result to get the correct answer:
8 / (R - 8) +1 = (8 + R - 8) / (R - 8) = R / ( R - 8).
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2803 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk away from [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk away from Brenda in a straight line at a rate of 4 miles per hour. One hour later, Brenda begins to ride a bicycle in a straight line in the opposite direction at a rate of R miles per hour. If R > 8, which of the following represents the amount of time, in terms of R, that Alex will have been walking when Brenda has covered twice as much distance as Alex?

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Guys - I don't have an OA for this. Can you please help in terms of how this can be solved?

Let T be the time that Alex will have been walking when Brenda has covered twice as much distance as Alex.

In T hours Alex will cover 4T miles;
Since Brenda begins her journey 1 hour later than Alex then total time for her will be T-1 hours, and the distance covered in that time will be R(T-1);

We want the distance covered by Brenda to be twice as much as that of Alex: 2*4T=R(T-1) --> 8T=RT-R --> T=R/(R-8).

Answer: C.

Hi Bunuel,

I tried with a different method but my answer is different .. I am sure I am doing some error but i am not able to find where my folly is:

Let X be the distance Alex covers:
Time taken by Alex: X/4
Brenda's distance should be 2X
Time taken by Brenda: 2X/R

Given: Time taken by Alex + 1 = Time taken by Brenda
X/4 + 1 = 2X/R
X = 4R/8-R :(
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618583 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rohitgoel15 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk away from Brenda in a straight line at a rate of 4 miles per hour. One hour later, Brenda begins to ride a bicycle in a straight line in the opposite direction at a rate of R miles per hour. If R > 8, which of the following represents the amount of time, in terms of R, that Alex will have been walking when Brenda has covered twice as much distance as Alex?

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Guys - I don't have an OA for this. Can you please help in terms of how this can be solved?

Let T be the time that Alex will have been walking when Brenda has covered twice as much distance as Alex.

Since Brenda begins her journey 1 hour later than Alex then total time for her will be T-1 hours, and the distance covered in that time will be R(T-1);

We want the distance covered by Brenda to be twice as much as that of Alex: 2*4T=R(T-1) --> 8T=RT-R --> T=R/(R-8).

Hi Bunuel,

I tried with a different method but my answer is different .. I am sure I am doing some error but i am not able to find where my folly is:

Let X be the distance Alex covers:
Time taken by Alex: X/4
Brenda's distance should be 2X
Time taken by Brenda: 2X/R

Given: Time taken by Alex + 1 = Time taken by Brenda
X/4 + 1 = 2X/R
X = 4R/8-R :(

We are asked to find the time that Alex will have been walking and you found X, which is the distance that Alex have covered.

So, you need to take the last step: Time=Distance/Rate=(4R/(8-R))/4=R/(8-R).

Hope it's clear.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4467 [2]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Can you please let me know where am I committing mistake?
Alex already covered 4 miles. In the next t hours the total distance covered by Alex will be 4+4t.
Similarly Brenda covers Rt miles in the next t hours.
Therefore, Rt=2(4+4t)t
t=8/(R-8)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V43
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Hi Bunuel,

I worked the problem until I got to 8T = RT - R but I started struggling with the algebra. Can you show me how you manipulated the equation to get T = R/(R-8)?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2135 [2]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
egiles wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Hi Bunuel,

I worked the problem until I got to 8T = RT - R but I started struggling with the algebra. Can you show me how you manipulated the equation to get T = R/(R-8)?

8T = RT - R ----> R = RT - 8T (added R and subtracted 8T from both sides) ----> R = T(R - 8) ----> T = R/(R - 8)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618583 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
egiles wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Hi Bunuel,

Sure:

8T=RT-R --> rearrange: R=RT-8T --> factor out T: R=T(R-8) --> T=R/(R-8).

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Since your answer is in terms of R, you have the flexibility of putting in any value for R.Say R = 16
Alex has already covered 4 miles in the first hour. In the next hour, Alex covers another 4 miles while Brenda covers 16, thereby covering twice the distance covered by Alex. (I chose R = 16 because it is twice of 8) Alex has been walking for 2 hrs so that's the answer we are looking for.
Plug R = 16 in the options. Only option C gives you 2. Answer (C)

Hi Karishma,

Suppose i assume R=32,
then alex = 4m/hr. In next hr, Alex covers 4 and brenda covers 2*16
In next hr, Alex covers 8 and brenda covers 2*32 and so on.. but acc to the series i cannot be that when Brenda wud be covering 2(Alex) ?
Can you please have a look on this ?

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
154238 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Since your answer is in terms of R, you have the flexibility of putting in any value for R.Say R = 16
Alex has already covered 4 miles in the first hour. In the next hour, Alex covers another 4 miles while Brenda covers 16, thereby covering twice the distance covered by Alex. (I chose R = 16 because it is twice of 8) Alex has been walking for 2 hrs so that's the answer we are looking for.
Plug R = 16 in the options. Only option C gives you 2. Answer (C)

Hi Karishma,

Suppose i assume R=32,
then alex = 4m/hr. In next hr, Alex covers 4 and brenda covers 2*16
In next hr, Alex covers 8 and brenda covers 2*32 and so on.. but acc to the series i cannot be that when Brenda wud be covering 2(Alex) ?
Can you please have a look on this ?

If you assume R = 32, in 2 hrs, Alex covers 8 miles and Brenda covers 32 miles. Brenda has already covered more than twice of Alex. Hence, somewhere within the second hour, Brenda had covered twice the distance covered by Alex. To find it, you will anyway need to make equations.
Say t is the time for which they travel after Alex's initial 4 miles.
2(4 + 4t) = 32t
t = 1/3
So total time for which Alex walked = 1 + 1/3 = 4/3

Now put R = 32 in the options and you get t = 4/3 in case of option (C)

The point is, it's too much work in this case. If you assume the value smartly, your work reduces significantly else you might as well use algebra.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-07-2012
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Very clear and concise explanation, thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos