Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [36]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64902 [13]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 106
Send PM
Re: The sequence a(n) is defined so that, for all n is greater [#permalink]
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
shawndx wrote:
The sequence a(n) is defined so that, for all n is greater than or equal to 3, a(n) is the greater of (a(n-2) +1) and (an-1). (If the two quantities are the same, then an is equal to either of them.) Which of the following values of a1 and a2 will produce a sequence in which no value is repeated?

a) a1=-1, a2=-1.5
b) a1=-1, a2=1
c) a1=1, a2=-1
d) a1=1, a2=1.5
e) a1=1.5, a2=1

I am having trouble understanding what the question is asking and also solving it

Take one line of the question at a time and try to make sense of it. Sequence questions seem daunting due to all the subscripts but they are pretty straight forward, generally.

Given: \(a_n\) = Greater of \((a_{n-2} + 1, a_{n-1})\) (n is 3 or greater)
This means that starting from the third term, every term is the greater of (one more than previous to previous term, the previous term)

If we want that every term in the sequence should be unique, \(a_n\) should not be equal to the previous term. It should be equal to 'one more than previous to previous term'

So what can you deduce about \(a_1\) and \(a_2\)?
1. \(a_1 + 1\) should be greater than \(a_2\) so that \(a_3 \neq a_2\). Reject option (B)

2. To ensure that \(a_4 \neq a_3\), \(a_4 = a_2 + 1\). Therefore, \(a_2 + 1 > a_3\)

Option (A) \(a_3\) = 0 which is greater than \(a_2 + 1 (= -0.5)\) so reject it.
Option (C) \(a_3\) = 2 which is greater than \(a_2 + 1 (= 0)\) so reject it.
Option (E) \(a_3\) = 2.5 which is greater than \(a_2 + 1 (= 2)\) so reject it.

Answer must be option (D). \(a_3\) = 2 which is less than \(a_2 + 1\).

OR if you want to think the logical way, realize that the first term must be smaller than the second term but the difference between them should be less than 1 (so that when 1 is added, it becomes more than the second term). If you understand this, then you can quickly jump to option (D)

@karishma
To be honest what is probability of such questions landing up on your gmat and on what level ...
I think, I would just flip the computer table and walk out rather than solve such types
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64902 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shawndx wrote:
I do not understand the rule though... so if we were to just substitute values, how would one do that... if n were 3 or 4

\(a_3\) depends on \(a_1\) and \(a_2\). Given the values of \(a_1\) and \(a_2\), you can find the values of all other terms.

Say if \(a_1 = 1\) and \(a_2 = 1.5\), then
\(a_3 = Greater (1 + 1, 1.5) = 2\)
\(a_4 = Greater (1.5+ 1, 2) = 2.5\) etc

On the other hand, if \(a_1 = 1\)
\(a_2 = 1.8\), then
\(a_3 = Greater (1 + 1, 1.8) = 2\)
\(a_4 = Greater (1.8+ 1, 2) = 2.8\) etc
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64902 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
utkarshlavania wrote:

@karishma
To be honest what is probability of such questions landing up on your gmat and on what level ...
I think, I would just flip the computer table and walk out rather than solve such types

The question is not tough Utkarsh. I would suggest you to go one step at a time and try to figure it out. Such questions can be a part of actual GMAT and it's just a 700+, not exceptionally over the top. It looks complicated but most of the steps would be kind of intuitive after some practice. GMAT excels at testing simple concepts wrapped in a twisted package.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V43
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
shawndx wrote:
The sequence a(n) is defined so that, for all n is greater than or equal to 3, a(n) is the greater of (a(n-2) +1) and (an-1). (If the two quantities are the same, then an is equal to either of them.) Which of the following values of a1 and a2 will produce a sequence in which no value is repeated?

a) a1=-1, a2=-1.5
b) a1=-1, a2=1
c) a1=1, a2=-1
d) a1=1, a2=1.5
e) a1=1.5, a2=1

I am having trouble understanding what the question is asking and also solving it

Take one line of the question at a time and try to make sense of it. Sequence questions seem daunting due to all the subscripts but they are pretty straight forward, generally.

This means that starting from the third term, every term is the greater of (one more than previous to previous term, the previous term)

If we want that every term in the sequence should be unique, \(a_n\) should not be equal to the previous term. It should be equal to 'one more than previous to previous term'

1. \(a_1 + 1\) should be greater than \(a_2\) so that \(a_3 \neq a_2\). Reject option (B)

2. To ensure that \(a_4 \neq a_3\), \(a_4 = a_2 + 1\). Therefore, \(a_2 + 1 > a_3\)

OR if you want to think the logical way, realize that the first term must be smaller than the second term but the difference between them should be less than 1 (so that when 1 is added, it becomes more than the second term). If you understand this, then you can quickly jump to option (D)

Hi Karishma,

Thanks for your blog...I have been trying to solve every problem without using a pen per your advice and I am getting better at the quant section as a result.

Here is where I am confused about the above problem:

"If we want that every term in the sequence should be unique, \(n\) should not be equal to the previous term. It should be equal to 'one more than previous to previous term'"

I'm reading the rule as \(A(n)\) is greater than \(A(n-2) + 1\). Above, you say they must be equal (at least that is how I'm reading it). Overall, the wording of this problem is awkward to me. I've never seen the phrase "...is the greater of". That just means it is great than, right?
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
egiles wrote:
"If we want that every term in the sequence should be unique, \(n\) should not be equal to the previous term. It should be equal to 'one more than previous to previous term'"

I'm reading the rule as \(A(n)\) is greater than \(A(n-2) + 1\). Above, you say they must be equal (at least that is how I'm reading it). Overall, the wording of this problem is awkward to me. I've never seen the phrase "...is the greater of". That just means it is great than, right?

There are 2 diff things:

1. 'Is greater than'
x is greater than 4 and 5. This means x is a number greater than 5.

2. 'Is greater of'
x is greater of 4 and 5. This means x = 5.
Look at it this way: x = Greater of (4, 5)
First you find that which number is greater out of 4 and 5. x will be equal to that number.

x = Greater of (Last to last term + 1, Last term)
means find which is greater 'Last to last term + 1' or 'Last term'. X will be equal to that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
shawndx wrote:

a) a1=-1, a2=-1.5
b) a1=-1, a2=1
c) a1=1, a2=-1
d) a1=1, a2=1.5
e) a1=1.5, a2=1

KARISHMA (SORRY FOR CAPS JUST TRYING TO HIGHLIGHT WHERE MY QUESTION IS):

WHEN YOU SAY N IS 3 OR GREATER TOWARDS THE BEGINNING OF YOUR ANSWER HOW EXACTLY DID YOU DEDUCE THAT?
SECONDLY WHEN YOU ARE TESTING ANSWER CHOICES HOW EXACTLY DO YOU GET THE VALUE OF A3? FOR EXAMPLE WHEN YOU TEST CHOICE C HOW DID YOU GET A3 = 2?

Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
sagnik2422 wrote:
KARISHMA (SORRY FOR CAPS JUST TRYING TO HIGHLIGHT WHERE MY QUESTION IS):

WHEN YOU SAY N IS 3 OR GREATER TOWARDS THE BEGINNING OF YOUR ANSWER HOW EXACTLY DID YOU DEDUCE THAT?
SECONDLY WHEN YOU ARE TESTING ANSWER CHOICES HOW EXACTLY DO YOU GET THE VALUE OF A3? FOR EXAMPLE WHEN YOU TEST CHOICE C HOW DID YOU GET A3 = 2?

Since all previous quotes have a lighter background, it is easy to see where your question is so don't worry about that.

It is given in the question: "The sequence a(n) is defined so that, for all n is greater than or equal to 3".

We know that An is greater of A(n-2) + 1 and A(n-1). This means An will be either (A(n-2)+ 1) or A(n-1), whichever is greater!
Now use options:

a) a1=-1, a2=-1.5

A3 = Greater of (A(1)+1, A(2))
A3 = Greater of (-1+1, -1.5)
A3 = Greater of (0, -1.5)
A3 = 0

c) a1=1, a2=-1

A3 = Greater of (A(1)+1, A(2))
A3 = Greater of (1+1, -1)
A3 = Greater of (2, -1)
A3 = 2

and so on...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [0]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
shawndx wrote:
The sequence \(a_n\) is defined so that, for all \(n\) is greater than or equal to 3, \(a_n\) is the greater of \(a_{n-2} +1\) and \(a_{n-1}\). (If the two quantities are the same, then \(a_n\) is equal to either of them.) Which of the following values of \(a_1\) and \(a_2\) will produce a sequence in which no value is repeated?

A. \(a_1=-1\), \(a_2=-1.5\)
B. \(a_1=-1\), \(a_2=1\)
C. \(a_1=1\), \(a_2=-1\)
D. \(a_1=1\), \(a_2=1.5\)
E. \(a_1=1.5\), \(a_2=1\)

I solved the first option to get a hang of what kind of series comes out...
Quickly figured out that only in D it is possible \(a_{n-2} +1\) is always greater than \(a_{n-1}\) bcoz both entities are positive and \(a_2=1.5\) > \(a_1=1\)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
shawndx wrote:

a) a1=-1, a2=-1.5
b) a1=-1, a2=1
c) a1=1, a2=-1
d) a1=1, a2=1.5
e) a1=1.5, a2=1

I have noticed that manahattan gmat questions are very time intensive.
i would rather build the series for each of the given options A-E , atleast 2 elements .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 527
Send PM
egiles wrote:

There are 2 diff things:

1. 'Is greater than'

2. 'Is greater of'
First you find that which number is greater out of 4 and 5. x will be equal to that number.

means find which is greater 'Last to last term + 1' or 'Last term'. X will be equal to that.

hi mam

could you please tell me how to solve every problem without using a pen as egiles mentioned you said in your blog ?

thanks in advance, mam
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatcracker2018 wrote:
egiles wrote:

There are 2 diff things:

1. 'Is greater than'

2. 'Is greater of'

hi mam

could you please tell me how to solve every problem without using a pen as egiles mentioned you said in your blog ?

thanks in advance, mam

Most actual GMAT questions can be solved using logic and reasoning and do not require equations, too many calculations etc. Usually when I answer questions on GMAT Club, I sit without pen and paper and get the answer orally. After that I start writing the explanation. Very rarely do I need to get up and get my notepad.
Though it is a skill one learns through practice. There are things that help such as using ratios, knowing multiplication tables etc.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
shawndx
Given: The sequence \(a_n\) is defined so that, for all \(n\) is greater than or equal to 3, \(a_n\) is the greater of \(a_{n-2} +1\) and \(a_{n-1}\). (If the two quantities are the same, then \(a_n\) is equal to either of them.)

Asked: Which of the following values of \(a_1\) and \(a_2\) will produce a sequence in which no value is repeated?
A. \(a_1=-1\), \(a_2=-1.5\)
\(a_1=-1\), \(a_2=-1.5\), \(a_3=0[/m3], [m]a_4=0\) : Repeated : Incorrect
B. \(a_1=-1\), \(a_2=1\)
\(a_1=-1\), \(a_2=1\), \(a_3=1[/m3] Repeated : Incorrect\\
C. [m]a_1=1\), \(a_2=-1\)
\(a_1=1\), \(a_2=-1\), \(a_3=2[/m3], [m]a_4=2\) : Repeated : Incorrect
D. \(a_1=1\), \(a_2=1.5\)
\(a_1=1\), \(a_2=1.5\), \(a_3=2[/m3], [m]a_4=2.5\), \(a_3=3[/m3], [m]a_4=3.5\), Every term is .5 greater than previous term: repetition: Correct
E. \(a_1=1.5\), \(a_2=1\)
\(a_1=1.5\), \(a_2=1\), \(a_3=2.5[/m3], [m]a_4=2.5\) : Repeated : Incorrect

IMO D
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts