Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16648 [36]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618726 [18]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16648 [0]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618726 [2]
Send PM
Re: p^a*q^b*r^c*s^d=x, where x is a perfect square. If p, q, r [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
enigma123 wrote:
Thanks Bunuel - I understand everything apart from this in statement 2:

p,q,r,and s are NOT distinct primes. How???

As discussed: if \(p\), \(q\), \(r\), and \(s\) are distinct primes, then \(a\), \(b\), \(c\), and \(d\) MUST be even (all of them).

From (2) we get that NOT all from \(a\), \(b\), \(c\), and \(d\) are even, hence \(p\), \(q\), \(r\), and \(s\) are NOT distinct.

Hope it's clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16648 [0]
Send PM
Got it - thanks. Sorry, bit late in the night at my end :-).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 807 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
Send PM
A silly question! If you loose on such a question, what score one should expect for quant?
(By the way I understood what you explained here, Bunuel, but you would be there on exam day, right!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [2]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
docabuzar wrote:
A silly question! If you loose on such a question, what score one should expect for quant?
(By the way I understood what you explained here, Bunuel, but you would be there on exam day, right!

Or this is a silly post that adds no value. On the GMAT, only the experimental ones are silly. This is a pretty tough question. If you think it is an easy one, you should consider providing your own explanation - you will learn quite a bit when you try to teach someone.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
You mis understood my statement. Or may be I wrote it in a wrong way.

What I meant was that I want to ask a silly question, i.e., if someone looses on such a question in GMAT what score he/she should expect. (Acutally I do understand bunuel's explanation to this Q, but I donot think that I will be able to re-produce the concept if this Q appears with some varaition in GMAT)

As far as this question is concerned, for me, it was very tough. I have always appreciated the knowledge bunuel (& for that matter anyone) expresses here in these forum esp the ease with which bunuel explains so many twists in a single question. I m still learning. Cheers!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618726 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
docabuzar wrote:
You mis understood my statement. Or may be I wrote it in a wrong way.

What I meant was that I want to ask a silly question, ...

Oh, don't worry, no hard feelings whatsoever.

docabuzar wrote:
If someone looses on such a question in GMAT what score he/she should expect. (Acutally I do understand bunuel's explanation to this Q, but I donot think that I will be able to re-produce the concept if this Q appears with some varaition in GMAT)

As far as this question is concerned, for me, it was very tough. I have always appreciated the knowledge bunuel (& for that matter anyone) expresses here in these forum esp the ease with which bunuel explains so many twists in a single question. I m still learning. Cheers!

You are right, it's a quite hard question, probably 700+. So if one answers incorrectly to 1 or 2 of such questions he/she can still expect a pretty decent score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thnx for your reply. I really appreciate.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [0]
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE:Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
\(p^a q^b r^c s^d=x\), where x is a perfect square. If p, q, r, and s are prime integers, are they distinct?
(1) 18 is a factor of ab and cd
(2) 4 is not a factor of ab and cd

Any idea how to solve this question please? I don't have an OA unfortunately.

p^a*q^b*r^c*s^d=x, where x is a perfect square. If p, q, r, and s are prime integers, are they distinct?

First of all: a perfect square always has even powers of its prime factors. So, if \(p\), \(q\), \(r\), and \(s\) ARE distinct primes, then in order \(x\) to be a perfect square \(a\), \(b\), \(c\), and \(d\) MUST be even.

(1) 18 is a factor of ab and cd --> we can not get whether \(a\), \(b\), \(c\), and \(d\) are even or odd. For example we can have following two cases:
\(p^a*q^b*r^c*s^d=2^3*2^6*3^3*3^6\): in this case \(p\), \(q\), \(r\), and \(s\) are NOT distinct primes.
\(p^a*q^b*r^c*s^d=2^2*3^{18}*5^2*7^{18}\): in this case \(p\), \(q\), \(r\), and \(s\) are distinct primes.
Not sufficient.

(2) 4 is not a factor of ab and cd --> which means that at least one from \(a\) and \(b\), and at least one from \(c\) and \(d\) is NOT even (if for example \(a\) and \(b\) were BOTH even then \(ab\) would be a multiple of 4) --> \(p\), \(q\), \(r\), and \(s\) are NOT distinct primes. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunnel

From statement 2 how did you say that P Q R S are distinct primes as we have information only on a,b,c,d???

Thanks in advance
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618726 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kotela wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
\(p^a q^b r^c s^d=x\), where x is a perfect square. If p, q, r, and s are prime integers, are they distinct?

p^a*q^b*r^c*s^d=x, where x is a perfect square. If p, q, r, and s are prime integers, are they distinct?

First of all: a perfect square always has even powers of its prime factors. So, if \(p\), \(q\), \(r\), and \(s\) ARE distinct primes, then in order \(x\) to be a perfect square \(a\), \(b\), \(c\), and \(d\) MUST be even.

(1) 18 is a factor of ab and cd --> we can not get whether \(a\), \(b\), \(c\), and \(d\) are even or odd. For example we can have following two cases:
\(p^a*q^b*r^c*s^d=2^3*2^6*3^3*3^6\): in this case \(p\), \(q\), \(r\), and \(s\) are NOT distinct primes.
\(p^a*q^b*r^c*s^d=2^2*3^{18}*5^2*7^{18}\): in this case \(p\), \(q\), \(r\), and \(s\) are distinct primes.
Not sufficient.

(2) 4 is not a factor of ab and cd --> which means that at least one from \(a\) and \(b\), and at least one from \(c\) and \(d\) is NOT even (if for example \(a\) and \(b\) were BOTH even then \(ab\) would be a multiple of 4) --> \(p\), \(q\), \(r\), and \(s\) are NOT distinct primes. Sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunnel

From statement 2 how did you say that P Q R S are distinct primes as we have information only on a,b,c,d???

Thanks in advance

Well, I'm saying exactly the opposite for (2): \(p\), \(q\), \(r\), and \(s\) are NOT distinct primes.

As for the connection between a, b, c, d and p, q, r, s: if \(p\), \(q\), \(r\), and \(s\) are distinct primes, then \(a\), \(b\), \(c\), and \(d\) MUST be even (all of them).

From (2) we get that NOT all from \(a\), \(b\), \(c\), and \(d\) are even, hence \(p\), \(q\), \(r\), and \(s\) are NOT distinct.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

As discussed: if \(p\), \(q\), \(r\), and \(s\) are distinct primes, then \(a\), \(b\), \(c\), and \(d\) MUST be even (all of them).

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel please advise if a,b,c,d are not even then x cannot be a perfect square because square should have primes raised to even powers

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618726 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
puneetfitness wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel please advise if a,b,c,d are not even then x cannot be a perfect square because square should have primes raised to even powers

Posted from my mobile device

Yes. For example, \(2^4*3^4\) IS a perfect square (the square of an integer): \(2^4*3^4 = (2^2*3^2)^2\) but \(2^7*3^4\) is NOT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

(1) 18 is a factor of ab and cd --> we cannot get whether \(a\), \(b\), \(c\), and \(d\) are even or odd. For example we can have following two cases:
\(p^a*q^b*r^c*s^d=2^3*3^6*2^3*3^6\): in this case \(p\), \(q\), \(r\), and \(s\) are NOT distinct primes.
Not sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

Aren’t we missing the case when either a or b equals 0 and either of c or d equals 0?
In that case, x can be a perfect square without p,q,r,s being distinct
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618726 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vaibhav14 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

(1) 18 is a factor of ab and cd --> we cannot get whether \(a\), \(b\), \(c\), and \(d\) are even or odd. For example we can have following two cases:
\(p^a*q^b*r^c*s^d=2^3*3^6*2^3*3^6\): in this case \(p\), \(q\), \(r\), and \(s\) are NOT distinct primes.
Not sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

Aren’t we missing the case when either a or b equals 0 and either of c or d equals 0?
In that case, x can be a perfect square without p,q,r,s being distinct

For (1) yes, but (1) is not sufficient even without that case, so it's not necessary to consider the case when unknowns are 0. For (2), none of them can be 0 because 4 IS a factor of 0, thus unknowns being 0 would violate the statement.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64892 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
enigma123 wrote:

\(x = p^a*q^b*r^c*s^d\) is a perfect square means that if p, q, r and s are all distinct prime numbers, then a, b, c and d must be EVEN integers.

Check here WHY: https://anaprep.com/number-properties-f ... ct-square/

This doesn't tell us whether a, b, c and d are all even. They may or may not be. 18 is a factor of ab so it is possible that a = 6 and b = 3 and it is also possible that both a and b are 36 each (even). So not sufficient.

Since both a and b need to be even, 4 must be a factor of ab. If 4 is not a factor of ab, it means they are not both even. Then p, q, r and s CANNOT BE all distinct prime numbers. Answer is a definite NO.
Sufficient Alone.

Answer (B)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64892 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
enigma123 wrote:

The same concept is tested in this question that we discussed in our recent webinar too: https://youtu.be/ArveiQ52SrM
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92901 posts