Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [4]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [4]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Re: Help me to not be bad at abs value and inequalities... [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
It will take a lot of time to answer all your queries and I am a little short so I will start right now and take them one by one through the day as and when I can steal some time...

alphastrike wrote:
Problem 1: |1/(x-2)| >= 4

Question 1: So the two cases to evaluate are whether the bracketed portion is positive or negative right? I get confused as to where 0 should go. Do I need to evaluate the critical point cases (x<2 and x>=2) instead of just distributing for the two answers, or do I evaluate and then work the critical point into the constraint? I guess I don’t understand the “positive” and “negative” case.

Question 2: Some of the quant masters change the equation to this |x-2| =< ¼. I don’t understand

I will answer Question 2 first:

\(\frac{1}{|x-2|} >= 4\)

[highlight]Inequalities are similar to equations - you can add/subtract something on both sides and the inequality doesn't change. You can multiply/divide both sides by a positive number and the inequality doesn't change.
But if you multiply/divide both sides by a negative number, you have to flip the sign.[/highlight]

|x-2| is positive since mod is always non negative (it cannot be 0 i.e. x cannot be 2 because it is in the denominator and 0 cannot be in the denominator). You can multiply both sides of the inequality by |x-2| and the inequality will not change.

You get \(\frac{1}{|x-2|}* |x-2| >= 4|x-2|\)

Now you can divide both sides by 4 and the inequality will not change since 4 is positive

You get \(\frac{1}{4} >= |x-2|\) OR \(|x-2| <= \frac{1}{4}\)

Define Mod: |x| = x if x is positive or 0
|x| = -x if x is negative

You cannot solve an equation/inequality if you have something like |x| in it. You need to have a simple x or -x etc. So how do you get rid of the mod? You use the definition to replace |x| by x/-x. If x is positive, you simply replace |x| by x. If x is negative, you replace |x| by -x. That is the reason you need to take two cases. You can put the equal sign anywhere with '>' or '<'. It doesn't matter. We generally put it with the '>' sign. Here, you will be given that x cannot be 2 since x-2 is in the denominator so 'where to put the equal to sign' problem doesn't arise!

\(|x-2| <= \frac{1}{4}\)
To solve this inequality, you can take two cases:

So you get 2 ranges for x: 2 < x < 9/4 or 7/4 < x < 2

Short Cut: There is a 10 sec solution where you don't have to make the two cases but for that you need to understand how to interpret mods. Check out this link for that:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/01 ... edore-did/

Thanks, this all makes perfect sense. I know the shortcut well and have been using it. The trick to solving the long way is to adjust the resulting range by adding the value that x needs to be to make the equation positive or negative.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It will take a lot of time to answer all your queries and I am a little short so I will start right now and take them one by one through the day as and when I can steal some time...

alphastrike wrote:
Speaking of him, I’ve never been so appreciative towards somebody who destroys my confidence on a daily basis :)

:)

alphastrike wrote:
Problem 1: |1/(x-2)| >= 4

Question 1: So the two cases to evaluate are whether the bracketed portion is positive or negative right? I get confused as to where 0 should go. Do I need to evaluate the critical point cases (x<2 and x>=2) instead of just distributing for the two answers, or do I evaluate and then work the critical point into the constraint? I guess I don’t understand the “positive” and “negative” case.

Question 2: Some of the quant masters change the equation to this |x-2| =< ¼. I don’t understand

I will answer Question 2 first:

\(\frac{1}{|x-2|} >= 4\)

[highlight]Inequalities are similar to equations - you can add/subtract something on both sides and the inequality doesn't change. You can multiply/divide both sides by a positive number and the inequality doesn't change.
But if you multiply/divide both sides by a negative number, you have to flip the sign.[/highlight]

|x-2| is positive since mod is always non negative (it cannot be 0 i.e. x cannot be 2 because it is in the denominator and 0 cannot be in the denominator). You can multiply both sides of the inequality by |x-2| and the inequality will not change.

You get \(\frac{1}{|x-2|}* |x-2| >= 4|x-2|\)

Now you can divide both sides by 4 and the inequality will not change since 4 is positive

You get \(\frac{1}{4} >= |x-2|\) OR \(|x-2| <= \frac{1}{4}\)

Define Mod: |x| = x if x is positive or 0
|x| = -x if x is negative

You cannot solve an equation/inequality if you have something like |x| in it. You need to have a simple x or -x etc. So how do you get rid of the mod? You use the definition to replace |x| by x/-x. If x is positive, you simply replace |x| by x. If x is negative, you replace |x| by -x. That is the reason you need to take two cases. You can put the equal sign anywhere with '>' or '<'. It doesn't matter. We generally put it with the '>' sign. Here, you will be given that x cannot be 2 since x-2 is in the denominator so 'where to put the equal to sign' problem doesn't arise!

\(|x-2| <= \frac{1}{4}\)
To solve this inequality, you can take two cases:

Case 1: x-2 is positive i.e. x > 2. You can replace |x-2| by (x-2)

x - 2 <= 1/4
x <= 9/4
Since x must be greater than 2, you get 2 < x < 9/4

Case 2: x-2 is negative i.e. x < 2. You can replace |x-2| by -(x-2)

-(x-2) <= 1/4
x-2 >= -1/4 (We multiplied the inequality by -1 so we flipped the sign)
x >= 7/4
Since x is less than 2, you get 7/4 < x < 2

So you get 2 ranges for x: 2 < x < 9/4 or 7/4 < x < 2

Short Cut: There is a 10 sec solution where you don't have to make the two cases but for that you need to understand how to interpret mods. Check out this link for that:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/01 ... edore-did/

Thanks again. I understand all of this well now. For some reason I didnt get that concept from the books, but your explanation cleared things up nicely :)

To clarify my question on the negative case in complex abs value equations, if i have say, |1/(x-2)|, do I make everything negative? -1/(-x+2)?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
alphastrike wrote:
Problem 4: |x-1| < 1

Question: I can get to “is 0<x<2 true?” but then I get confused by the “<1” is that supposed to be a critical point? Lower bound for the positive case? Going crazy on these…

Right. |x-1| < 1 gives us the following range for x: 0 < x < 2 which you can get in 10 secs using the diagrammatic approach I explained in my post. Now what is this about < 1? x should lie between 0 to 2 and it can take any value between these 2 values but it cannot take the values 0 and 2 since the sign of the inequality is not "<=". It is only "<".
x can definitely take the value 1 too. If you get such doubts, just plug in the value and see if it works. e.g.
x = 1, |1-1| < 1 which gives 0 < 1 True so it works
x = 2, |2-1| < 1 which gives 1 < 1 Not true so it doesn't work
x = 0, |0-1| < 1 which gives 1 < 1 Not true so it doesn't work

As for questions with 2 variables, I will try and get to them too today but it is not very likely for you to see them on actual GMAT so I would instead spend more time with questions using a single variable only.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
alphastrike wrote:
To clarify my question on the negative case in complex abs value equations, if i have say, |1/(x-2)|, do I make everything negative? -1/(-x+2)?

No.

|1/(x-2)| = -1/(x-2) OR 1/(2-x)

If you make both the terms negative, -1/(2-x), isn't this equal to 1/(x-2)? In that case, you haven't considered the negative term at all.
You put a single negative sign. You can stick it to the numerator or denominator depending on your convenience but definitely not both.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Ugrad: Indiana University Kelley School of Business
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Thanks for your explanations! This was my first exposure to your Quarter Wit, Quarter Wisdom blog and I'm so impressed with the explanations that have already provided me with several revolations this morning.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
alphastrike wrote:

No.

|1/(x-2)| = -1/(x-2) OR 1/(2-x)

If you make both the terms negative, -1/(2-x), isn't this equal to 1/(x-2)? In that case, you haven't considered the negative term at all.
You put a single negative sign. You can stick it to the numerator or denominator depending on your convenience but definitely not both.

Great explanation once again. Thanks. So lets say |1/(x-2)| = x. How would this work? I now know how to distribute the negative (chose either numerator or denominator) but how to i multiply it out? Am I assuming the "x" i negative, or that the whole expression in the bracket is negative? If i attribute the negative like this -1/(x-2) do i just multiply x by (x-2) without flipping the sign because i put the negative sign with the 1, whereas if I attribute the negative to the bottom i need to flip? Also, in the positive case i just multiply (x-2)x, right?

Thanks again Karishma. I'm using up my whole box of kudos on you :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
alphastrike wrote:

Great explanation once again. Thanks. So lets say |1/(x-2)| = x. How would this work? I now know how to distribute the negative (chose either numerator or denominator) but how to i multiply it out? Am I assuming the "x" i negative, or that the whole expression in the bracket is negative? If i attribute the negative like this -1/(x-2) do i just multiply x by (x-2) without flipping the sign because i put the negative sign with the 1, whereas if I attribute the negative to the bottom i need to flip? Also, in the positive case i just multiply (x-2)x, right?

Thanks again Karishma. I'm using up my whole box of kudos on you :)

|1/(x-2)| < x (Note: There should be an inequality for you to worry about how to multiply so I am putting '<' here instead of '=' that you used)

Focus on the mod. You need to remove the mod sign since you can't work with it in your equation.
Notice that 1 is also in the mod but it can be taken out since mod 1 is 1.

1/|x-2| < x
I would suggest you to multiply the inequality by |x-2| on both sides right away so that you don't have to worry about it later. Since |x-2| is positive, you can multiply it without worrying about changing signs. Still, if you do not do that, following is how you can do it later.

You have to consider the case where x-2 is positive/negative. That's all.

Case 1: x-2 is positive i.e. x > 2
1/(x-2) < x
Since (x-2) is positive, you can multiply the inequality by x-2 without changing it.
1 < x(x-2)
x^2 - 2x - 1 > 0
solve it in the usual way and accept values greater than 2. In GMAT, you will be able to make factors here.

Case 2: x-2 is negative i.e. x < 2
1/-(x-2) < x (you have to change the sign of only the mod term)
Now you can do many things here:
Method 1:
-1/(x-2) < x
-1 > x(x-2) Multiply both sides by (x-2). Since (x-2) is negative, you need to flip the sign.
(x-1)^2 < 0
A square cannot be less than 0 so not true for any values of x.

Method 2:
1/-(x-2) < x
1/(x-2) > -x (Multiply both sides by -1 so flip the sign)
1 < -x(x-2) Multiply both sides by (x-2). Since (x-2) is negative, you need to flip the sign.
x(x-2) + 1 < 0
(x-1)^2 < 0

Method 3:
1/-(x-2) < x
1 < -(x-2)x
(x-2) is negative so -(x-2) is positive so when you multiply both sides by it, the inequality doesn't change.
(x-1)^2 < 0
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 444
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Hi,

I have tried solving the problems posed by alphastrike. Among the 5 problems, Karishma already addressed three. I'd like to make sure that I solve the remaining two correctly.

Problem 2:
|x+y|>|x-y|
Case 1: (x+y)>(x-y)
We get y>0.
Case 2: (-x-y)>(x-y)
We get x>0.
So, y>0 or x>0 for the inequality to hold.

Problem 4:
|x-y|<|x|
-x<(x-y)<x
So, y>0 or x>(y/2) for the inequality to hold.

Did I solve the two problems correctly?
Thanks!
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
truongynhi wrote:
Hi,

I have tried solving the problems posed by alphastrike. Among the 5 problems, Karishma already addressed three. I'd like to make sure that I solve the remaining two correctly.

Problem 2:
|x+y|>|x-y|
We get y>0.
We get x>0.

Problem 4:
|x-y|<|x|
-x<(x-y)<x

Thanks!

When there are two absolute value signs, you need to consider each individually.

Problem 2:
|x+y|>|x-y|

Case 1: x+y is positive and x-y is positive
If you replace |x+y| with x + y, you have to ensure that x+ y >= 0. So x >= -y
If you replace |x-y| with x - y, you have to ensure that x - y >= 0. So x >= y
x+y > x-y
y > 0
This means -y < 0 < y < x

Case 2: x+y is positive and x-y is negative
If you replace |x+y| with x + y, you have to ensure that x+ y >= 0. So x >= -y
If you replace |x-y| with -(x - y), you have to ensure that x - y < 0. So x < y
x+y > -(x-y)
x > 0
-y < 0 < x < y

These two cases imply that if x and y both are positive, the inequality will hold.

Case 3: x+y is negative and x-y is positive
If you replace |x+y| with -(x + y), you have to ensure that x+ y < 0. So x < -y
If you replace |x-y| with x - y, you have to ensure that x - y >= 0. So x >= y
-(x+y) > x-y
x < 0
y < x < 0 < -y

Case 4: x+y is negative and x-y is negative
If you replace |x+y| with -(x + y), you have to ensure that x+ y < 0. So x < -y
If you replace |x-y| with -(x - y), you have to ensure that x - y < 0. So x < y
-(x+y) > -(x-y)
y < 0

x < y < 0 < -y

These two cases imply that if x and y both are negative, the inequality will hold.

So either x and y both are positive or both are negative.

This property of absolute values is discussed in this post:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2014/02 ... t-part-ii/

If x and y have the same signs, | x + y | >| x – y |.

If x and y have opposite signs, | x + y | <| x – y |.

If at least one of x and y is 0, | x + y | =| x – y |.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
truongynhi wrote:
Hi,

Problem 2:
|x+y|>|x-y|
We get y>0.
We get x>0.

Problem 4:
|x-y|<|x|
-x<(x-y)<x

Thanks!

Now try problem 4 again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 444
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Now try problem 4 again.

Thank you for the above explanation!

I thought that the problem only has two cases (i.e. same signs and different signs). I now understand my mistake. So, here is the solution for problem 4:

|x-y|<|x|
Case 1: (x-y)<x, where x>=y and x>=0
x>y>0

Case 2: (-x+y)<(-x), where x<y and x<0
x<y<0

Case 1 and 2 imply that x and y have the same signs (both negative or both positive).

Case 3: (x-y)<(-x), where x>=y and x<0
y<x<(y/2)<0

Case 4: (-x+y)<x, where x<y and x>=0
y>x>(y/2)>0

Case 3 and 4 imply that x and y still have the same signs, and that x lies between y and (y/2).

Is the above solution and intepretation correct?
Thank you Karishma!
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
truongynhi wrote:
Now try problem 4 again.

Thank you for the above explanation!

I thought that the problem only has two cases (i.e. same signs and different signs). I now understand my mistake. So, here is the solution for problem 4:

|x-y|<|x|
Case 1: (x-y)<x, where x>=y and x>=0
x>y>0

Case 2: (-x+y)<(-x), where x<y and x<0
x<y<0

Case 1 and 2 imply that x and y have the same signs (both negative or both positive).

Case 3: (x-y)<(-x), where x>=y and x<0
y<x<(y/2)<0

Case 4: (-x+y)<x, where x<y and x>=0
y>x>(y/2)>0

Case 3 and 4 imply that x and y still have the same signs, and that x lies between y and (y/2).

Is the above solution and intepretation correct?
Thank you Karishma!

"Case 1 and 2 imply that x and y have the same signs (both negative or both positive)."

Yes.
If they are both positive, x > y.
If they are both negative, x < y.
This is important else the inequality does not hold. e.g. x = 2, y = 10 : Doesn't hold.

"Case 3 and 4 imply that x and y still have the same signs."
Yes. If they are both positive, and x < y then, x > y/2.
If they are both negative and x > y when x < y/2.

All in all, we come to know that x and y should have the same signs.
If they are both positive, x > y/2
If they are both negative, x < y/2
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618637 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
truongynhi wrote:
Hi,

Problem 2:
|x+y|>|x-y|
We get y>0.
We get x>0.

Problem 4:
|x-y|0 or x>(y/2) for the inequality to hold.

Thanks!

Theory on Absolute Values: math-absolute-value-modulus-86462.html
The E-GMAT Question Series on ABSOLUTE VALUE: the-e-gmat-question-series-on-absolute-value-198503.html
Properties of Absolute Values on the GMAT: properties-of-absolute-values-on-the-gmat-191317.html
Absolute Value: Tips and hints: absolute-value-tips-and-hints-175002.html

DS Absolute Values Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=37
PS Absolute Values Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=58

Hard set on Absolute Values: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939.html

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts