Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:40 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V36
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Haas EWMBA 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
bschoolapp8 wrote:
tigerman wrote:
@bschoolapp8: with 10+ years of work experience, EMBA seems a better fit for me, so I decided on Wharton West. I will finish in two years, compared to Haas EWMBA's three years.

Even Haas adcom somewhat agreed; they called to see if I would be interested in the Berkeley-Columbia program.

congrats! Wharton West is terrific as well :)

@tigerman: Good luck...Wharton West is a good choice. Hope your company is footing some of the bill....$173K is a huge commitment. All the best....hope this pays off in future.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks, bschoolapp8 and khusan! Company will chip in, but I will bear the brunt of the hit. Total tuition for Haas EWMBA is over 100k, right? If you look at the difference of 70k that's spread out in 2-3 years, then it doesn't look so bad. To compare apples to apples, Berkeley-Columbia EMBA program also costs 157k. Despite the high costs, if you have many years of work experience, EMBA might still be an option.

To other applicants: Haas EWMBA adcom does make phone calls before announcing decisions, but it may vary from person to person. In my case, they asked if I would be interested in the Berkeley-Columbia program, and they promised that my interest in it would not negatively affect my EWMBA application (school policy dictates that there can be only one active application). They also called me a day or two before r1 decision date to tell me that I was admitted. I like Haas a lot; if I were younger, I would've chosen differently.

Good luck to all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
To those concerned - Has anyone started the stats pre-req?
How Is the berkeley extension online course?
any other ideas? I'm looking into some colleges in TX (I work in TX)
Any ideas in this direction would help. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
I am hoping to take the exemption exam. I am going to wait to hear back from the admissions office on admittance first, but am then hoping to just take the test rather than taking the class. Anyone know of the most current text that has been used to pass?

anonymba wrote:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
anonymba wrote:

I completed the online course through berkeley extension some time back
Its pretty good .. and self paced
.. once started .. u have 6 months to complete the course
Manager
Manager
Send PM
findprithvi wrote:
anonymba wrote:

I completed the online course through berkeley extension some time back
Its pretty good .. and self paced
.. once started .. u have 6 months to complete the course

Hi findprithvi : can you provide the link to the course at UC Berkeley extension?

also is anyone from R1 WL planning on completing the pre-req before R2 decisions? i suppose we won't hear until R2 decisions come out right?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I also noticed my online status change to "file under review" from "waitlist".. Anyone else experience the same?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
bschool, I assume since Round 3 deadline is tomorrow that most people have submitted. They can see how many accounts have not yet submitted so therefore have a good estimate the number of people who will submit. If the numbers are low in round 3 then they would need to admit wait listed applicants. If the number of applicants is high in Round 3 then they will evaluate waitlisted applicants against Round 3 applicants.

There doesn't seem to be a correlation between meeting pre-reqs or being proactive to actually being admitted. On another forum a few applicants studied for the stats test, passed, but were dinged. They were not happy because a percentage of admitted students failed to meet the stats deadline but Haas ended up extending the dealine date and offered a later test. Old posts cover in great detail what to study for the stats waiver exam.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
is there any other forum more active with 2012 haas ewmba applicants. This forum doesnt suggest a large number of applicants..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
goodluckMBA wrote:
bschool, I assume since Round 3 deadline is tomorrow that most people have submitted. They can see how many accounts have not yet submitted so therefore have a good estimate the number of people who will submit. If the numbers are low in round 3 then they would need to admit wait listed applicants. If the number of applicants is high in Round 3 then they will evaluate waitlisted applicants against Round 3 applicants.

There doesn't seem to be a correlation between meeting pre-reqs or being proactive to actually being admitted. On another forum a few applicants studied for the stats test, passed, but were dinged. They were not happy because a percentage of admitted students failed to meet the stats deadline but Haas ended up extending the dealine date and offered a later test. Old posts cover in great detail what to study for the stats waiver exam.

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks goodluckMBA. so i shouldn't be pinning all my hopes on a decision with R2 admits this week. I wonder if status of all R1 WL moved from "Waitlist" to "file under review" and will move to "waitlist" again after R2 to be considered with R3.. :(
EWMBA seems like a tough nut to crack.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
desiaggie1980 wrote:
is there any other forum more active with 2012 haas ewmba applicants. This forum doesnt suggest a large number of applicants..

Unfortunately not, my friend. I looked everywhere and this forum seems to be the only place for ewmba discussions. Trying my best to keep discussions active here :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
hmm...

Originally posted by someone79 on 15 Mar 2012, 11:10.
Last edited by someone79 on 06 Feb 2015, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
someone79 wrote:
it seems that not many people are interested in EWMBA this year. Has anyone done the ROI analysis on part time mba, especially Haas EWMBA?

I found this interesting write-up
https://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=82026

I suppose it comes down to what one wants an MBA for. Is MBA the goal or means to a goal? also, a part time mba allows you to keep your job and get the same degree as a full time program. People will tell you that a full time program offers a "more holistic" experience, but from what i have heard, if one desires and is willing to spend the extra hours, there is every possibility to participate in several on-campus activities and take leadership positions in clubs during a part-time program as well. I am not sure how active EWMBA students are at Haas, but i have friends in another part time program who actively participate in various business plan competitions and club events, which gives them a ton of exposure. A career switch also becomes that much more feasible since most part time MBAs allow you to participate in on campus recruitment events
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I applied R2 by submitting my application on 1/18/12. I was invited to an interview on 1/20/12 and scheduled it for 3/16/12. I did notice when I last logged in that my application status went from "invited to interview" to "file under review".

Good luck to all the applicants.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
City: San Francisco
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
3 more hours to go for round 3 and one of my recommenders still hasn't submitted his rec. I called him several times and no answer because he's been real busy. Slightly panicking here. I wonder how strict Haas is on the midnight cut off...

***edit***
Just received it. phew!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
bschoolapp8 wrote:
someone79 wrote:
it seems that not many people are interested in EWMBA this year. Has anyone done the ROI analysis on part time mba, especially Haas EWMBA?

I found this interesting write-up
https://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=82026

I suppose it comes down to what one wants an MBA for. Is MBA the goal or means to a goal? also, a part time mba allows you to keep your job and get the same degree as a full time program. People will tell you that a full time program offers a "more holistic" experience, but from what i have heard, if one desires and is willing to spend the extra hours, there is every possibility to participate in several on-campus activities and take leadership positions in clubs during a part-time program as well. I am not sure how active EWMBA students are at Haas, but i have friends in another part time program who actively participate in various business plan competitions and club events, which gives them a ton of exposure. A career switch also becomes that much more feasible since most part time MBAs allow you to participate in on campus recruitment events

That Businessweek link was a real downer. What ever happened to going to school for the love of learning even if it's formal and will take up all day Saturday for the next three years?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
City: San Francisco
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
guess I'm lucky on that front, my company would foot the whole bill :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  32   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts