Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation for Harvard 2+2 program please! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Phil:

To answer your questions:

about your weaknesses and strengths...
yes indeed a very effective way to innoculate concerns about academics is to nail the GMAT. HBS wants to be assured they are bringing in young leaders without any concern for their ability to handle the rigors of a fast paced academic environment. Certainly your engineering degree will be good evidence, and a great GMAT will help assuage any worries they might have about GPA or UG institution. Please know I am not disparaging either! Both very impressive achievements, but you have to think about the gal from MIT who had a 4.0 etc. as your competition. This is where your other strengths can also help you shine, since not many applicants with a 4.0 from MIT will likely have done some of the things you have done. You are on the right track in how to incorporate these things into your application in a way that demonstrates value and not just interesting or novel facts. For example, you likely were able to meet and work with a wide variety of personalities and nationalities and perhaps garnered some skills in diplomacy as well as some insight into how other cultures and businesses work. This gives you a unique perspective, as does your demonstrated interest in diversity and community service. Often times, I find the egg-head applicants do not have a very deep or genuine commitment to much other than school work. Your uniqueness should be couched in a way that communicates that your classmates would find the experience you have had as valuable to classroom discussions or solving business problems as well as generally good for the HBS culture overall. In short, you need to do both: demonstrate value in the classroom and value to the HBS culture. Certainly showing that you are the kind of person who gets involved and is passionate about more than just learning is key. You seem to be that kind of person.

hope this helps,

Bryant
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bryantmichaels wrote:
Phil:

To answer your questions:

about your weaknesses and strengths...
yes indeed a very effective way to innoculate concerns about academics is to nail the GMAT. HBS wants to be assured they are bringing in young leaders without any concern for their ability to handle the rigors of a fast paced academic environment. Certainly your engineering degree will be good evidence, and a great GMAT will help assuage any worries they might have about GPA or UG institution. Please know I am not disparaging either! Both very impressive achievements, but you have to think about the gal from MIT who had a 4.0 etc. as your competition. This is where your other strengths can also help you shine, since not many applicants with a 4.0 from MIT will likely have done some of the things you have done. You are on the right track in how to incorporate these things into your application in a way that demonstrates value and not just interesting or novel facts. For example, you likely were able to meet and work with a wide variety of personalities and nationalities and perhaps garnered some skills in diplomacy as well as some insight into how other cultures and businesses work. This gives you a unique perspective, as does your demonstrated interest in diversity and community service. Often times, I find the egg-head applicants do not have a very deep or genuine commitment to much other than school work. Your uniqueness should be couched in a way that communicates that your classmates would find the experience you have had as valuable to classroom discussions or solving business problems as well as generally good for the HBS culture overall. In short, you need to do both: demonstrate value in the classroom and value to the HBS culture. Certainly showing that you are the kind of person who gets involved and is passionate about more than just learning is key. You seem to be that kind of person.

hope this helps,

Bryant

Bryant,

This was incredibly helpful, I will keep everything you said in mind when filling out my application and essays. Thank you so much for your insight and advice.

Phil
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have an update to my profile:

This last semester was by the far the hardest of my curriculum, and perhaps the hardest semester of any major in undergrad (5 junior and senior level chemical engineering courses). My overall GPA is the lowest it will be in all of college at 3.25 (next year will be much easier and my GPA will go up).

I also just finished taking the GMAT missed my goal by 10 points, scoring a 690 overall, with a 46/38 quant/verbal split. I feel as if i could have done much better on the GMAT (with the two most recent GMATPrep scores being 740 and 730) but freaked out at the beginning of the quant section.

If you guys could offer some wisdom on the following questions I would greatly appreciate it:
Is there even a point to me applying to Harvard with my updated academic profile?
Will my profile consider full consideration in spite of not having a 700+ GMAT score?
If I was able to retake the GMAT (but had to apply at a later round because of this) and improve my score to 730 would it increase my chances enough to be worth the cost of the test?

Any insight or encouragement I would greatly appreciate, pretty bummed and considering not even applying. Thanks for your time
GMAT Club Bot