Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball [#permalink]
wayahead123 wrote:
GMAT - 620 ( V 30, Q 45 )
M,31, Indian, Graduation in Business Admin
Experience - 10 years in Financial Services
:
I did one year program from IIM - Calcutta...delivered on every saturday and sunday through satellite mode of lecture deliver...Eligibility for the program is a normal test, interview ( i was not interviewed though :) )...the program did not make any value addition except the certificate from IIM.

Yes, I do know someone else who's doing the same course, for the same reasons (can't leave job, part-time option works best etc). But it has it's limitations.

Quote:
Now, i am applying for international MBA program, i am not sure whether i should mention about this program done or not. Benefits for mentioning the same

1) IIM's name carries a premium tag with it
2) This one year helps me to increase the number of years of education from 15 ( 10+2+3) to 16 years, since i did not do any masters.
3) My under grads are from very average university, so this stamp of IIM helps to highlight me as a candidate.

I would disagree with all three, for the following reasons.

Premium tag: IIM offers too many courses. Not all of them have the same brand value. The specific program you've attended will overshadow the brand of institution. The certificate course makes it too easy for people to join (like you've shared, you didn't even have an interview).

Number of years: It won't add 1 year as it was a part-time course. But this is not so much of an issue, because many schools accept applicants with 15 years of education.

Average undergrad univ: Linked to point 1.

Quote:
Points against mentioning the same in application...

Considering you've taken pains to go through the process and the fact that it has added to your management knowledge, you should mention about the course. But don't expect it to turn the tide.

If you want to tackle the perception that you aren't strong academically, your best bet would be crack the GMAT. Then shortlist schools that are a good fit for your profile and put in the best possible apps that you can.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
Send PM
Hi Sameer,

Thanks for your time and inputs.

My undergrads are good qualitatively, but my graduation is not from a big time university, and that is the reason i am worried about premium tag, and thought to mention the program.

Given your inputs, I think if i do mention the course of IIM , i will have not much to gain, but i loose on the front defending my age factor e.g. on being asked why mba now @ 31, i might give a reason that since i did not have any full time masters post graduation, i am looking for a full time program.

I am very positive about re-taking my gmat and i am quiet confident about 700 , but my concern is that i will be turning 32 in nov 2012, so it will be very difficult for me to get an admit with any of the US/Canadian b-schools ( this is my perception only ), so please guide me.

I got in touch with two other canadian schools ( both are among top 100 FT ) and they are very positive about my profile, but i am not sure what to do now ?

I know i have to take decision on this aspect :) , but do you think if i wait and apply next year i will have least chances with respect to acceptance at US/Canadian top schools ?

I have also PMed you for something

thanks again
Director
Director
Send PM
Family owned business management vs professional companies

In India, family owned businesses have done very well. They generate a lot of jobs and keep the economy growing. Millions of employees work with a single entrepreneur managed or family businesses. Quite a few of such family businesses grow into empures, big enough to take on the might of the best multinational companies. But the original small company culture tends to get retained. Some like it, some don’t.

Shantanu Bhattacharya has worked with both types of companies and has strong opinions about why the family owned business model doesn’t work for him. Shantanu is also a King Kong when it comes to Ping Pong. A very talented Table-Tennis player who could have done very well in sports (national and international level) if the corporate work hadn’t lured him in....Read More
Director
Director
Send PM
Management Consulting Jobs: 3. How important is the MBA brand?

Management consultant Jaineel Aga started the blog series on Management Consulting Jobs with a post on Why management consulting and followed it up with why consulting jobs roles are popular. This week he talks about the relevance of business schools in the recruitment process...Read More
Director
Director
Send PM
MBA essay writing tips for Indian MBA Applicants: Part 2

MBA essay writing can be a challenge. But once you know what you specifically need to focus on, it gets easier. This is more important for Indian MBA applicants (many from engineering and information technology IT backgrounds).

Jon Frank, founder of Precision Essay, started a guest series to share MBA essay tips for Indian MBA applicants. This is part two in the series...Read More
Director
Director
Send PM
wayahead123 wrote:
Given your inputs, I think if i do mention the course of IIM , i will have not much to gain, but i loose on the front defending my age factor e.g. on being asked why mba now @ 31, i might give a reason that since i did not have any full time masters post graduation, i am looking for a full time program.

I competed an exec MBA type of a program from another IIM and I mentioned it in my application. Will share more about it when we talk.

Quote:
I know i have to take decision on this aspect :) , but do you think if i wait and apply next year i will have least chances with respect to acceptance at US/Canadian top schools ?

You are already a little late for the top 2-year programs. Some lower ranked univs may accept you and may even give you a scholarship. But the bigger question is what do you want from the MBA.

Quote:
I have also PMed you for something

Responded to your PM.
Director
Director
Send PM
Business networking tips: Take the relationship to the next level

Business networking in the corporate world is an important skill to pick up, if you want to go beyond your technical roots.

Ipseeta Aruni, an Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee graduate, started a series on soft skills in business. In the first post she wrote about how to network and build relationships for corporate success. Read that first to know who Mr. EasyConnect and Mr. PureBiz are. The second one in the series takes it to the next level...Read More
Director
Director
Send PM
MBA essay writing tips for Indian MBA Applicants: Part 3

The best MBA essays aren’t about showing off your technical skills. Most Indian MBA applicants (who are engineers or work in the software industry) aren’t sure about what Admission Officers expect and they approach it like a job application.

Jon Frank, founder of Precision Essay, continues his guest series and shares some more MBA essay tips for Indian MBA applicants. This is the third in a 5-part series.

If you missed the earlier posts, here they are: Read More
Director
Director
Send PM
Notre Dame MBA (Mendoza) and Olin MBA offer full scholarships to 750 GMAT scorer

Notre Dame University (Mendoza), Olin (St Louis) and Simon (Rochester) were three MBA programs (apart from the regular suspects Harvard, Wharton, Kellogg, Chicago Booth) where Sourya Biswas applied with a GMAT score of 750.

A high GMAT score doesn’t guarantee anything. Neither do strong MBA essays or a good MBA resume, if you consider them in isolation. Sourya Biswas got the ingredients right and two bschools offered him a full-ride (100% scholarship).

But along the way, he had his share of highs and lows. Sourya persisted and did not give up on his ambition. He shares his MBA application strategy and success story...Read More
Director
Director
Send PM
Indian film industry (Bollywood) – Perspectives and outlook

The Indian film industry or Bollywood as the Hindi movie making machinery is popularly know, has been an interesting case study – not just for movie fans but also for the business-world. It has managed to transition across cultures and countries and reach almost every part of the world with very little formal (if any) marketing. Tejaswini Ganti, an Associate Professor of Anthropology at New York University, is an expert on the topic.

In this interview, Tejaswini shares insights about the Hindi film industry in India and why it is unique. She also has a few suggestions on how Bollywood can tackle some of the challenges it faces today. If you are interested in the business, commercial and operational aspects of the Indian film industry, this is a must read....More here
Director
Director
Send PM
MBA essay writing tips for Indian MBA Applicants: Part 4

Indian MBA applicants competing in the toughest applicant pool need to take extra effort to ensure that they stand out among the crowd. Jon Frank, founder of Precision Essay, has been sharing MBA essay tips for Indian applicants. Here’s the fourth helping in a 5-part series.

Here’s the full series:...Read More
Director
Director
Send PM
Teach for India: NGO Education jobs or MBA

Teach for India jobs through various NGO partners on the ground can provide an excellent exposure to the education sector for high-potential professionals.

Saloni Gupta might remind you of the naughtiest girl in your school who always got away scot-free because of her innocent looks. Several years after completing her undergrad, she was planning to become a full-time student once again.

But destiny had other plans for her. Rather than being an MBA student at one of the top bschools, she transitioned to the other side to become a teacher. Her life changed when she got the following email from Teach for India:...Read More
Director
Director
Send PM
Carnegie Mellon Tepper MBA: Interview with Indian entrepreneur

Entrepreneurship as a career figures high on the preferences of many. Compared to regular corporate jobs, the nice warm feeling of knowing that you’ll get your monthy salary is absent, but there’s a whole lot more to compensate for that. Freedom, flexibility and a tremendous sense of job satisfaction.

Tepper MBA Vikram Narayan is the founder of BookBuzzr, which provides authors with a unique online marketing platform for their books. An extremely down-to-earth guy, with no airs about the success that he has managed to achieve, Vikram shares with us his entrepreneurial journey that started from Carnegie Mellon University and has brought him back to India. During the phone interview, I picked up quite a few ideas from him.

Read his views and suggestions on bootstrapping a startup. Inspiring!...Read More

Originally posted by MBACrystalBall on 06 Apr 2012, 06:01.
Last edited by MBACrystalBall on 10 Jan 2020, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
MBA essay writing tips for Indian MBA Applicants: Part 5

Writing MBA essays is considered by many Indian MBA applicants as the most difficult part of their MBA applications. Jon Frank, founder of Precision Essay, understands the pain areas pretty well as he has helped many Indians get into the best MBA bschools across the world. He concludes his 5-post series on MBA essay tips written specially for Indian applicants...Read More
Director
Director
Send PM
Business networking tips: Keeping the relationships warm

Combining business networking with technical and managerial skills can ensure that your ascent in the corporate world continues unabated.
Ipseeta Aruni, has been sharing insights with us in a 3-part series on building and sustaining business relationships. Her other posts are as follows:

Post 1: How to network and build relationships for corporate success.
Post 2: Business networking tips: Take the relationship to the next level
Here’s the final post...Read More
Director
Director
Send PM
ISB Hyderabad Reapplicant’s strategy

ISB reapplicants face a tough situation. Compared to first time applicants, reapplicants to ISB Hyderabad have the additional burden of justifying how their current application is much better than their previous one.

Madhur Chadha has gone through the experience and he has been accepted by ISB Hyderabad as well as IIMC. Read on to see what went wrong in his first attempt and how he fixed the shortcomings in his reapplication to ISB...Read More
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Net Impact
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Hi,
Can you please provide me a short feedback on my profile?
Here is a brief on my profile:
Automotive Product Engineer - 7 yrs work at at matriculation. Worked with Robert Bosch Gmbh, a

fortune 100 and world's leading automotive company for 5 yrs and at a Harman Becker Automotive for over a year and half. Interacted with teams in Apple, BMW, Volvo, Ford and Aha Mobile. I

am currently involved in the technical integration of a new company by Harman.
8 months of international work experience, and coordinating with teams across multiple time zones and mentoring

a team of 4. sufficient leadership experiences One of the youngest members in the team, but shared the responsibilities that are typically done at a higher experience level of 7 years. Acted as a

liaison between the teams in India and Germany.
GMAT - 710 ( 39V, 48Q 4.5 AWA )
GPA - 3.0 ( India Non IIT )

Post my MBA i look forward to work in the auto industry although in a different role.

My Short term goal after an MBA is to enter into the product management / operations management in the automotive industry and formulate the strategies for business development of the auto

companies in the BRIC countries.
In long term I look to rise to a senior management role like a chief strategy officer in the auto company and help identify the next growth avenues for the

company and push for auto industry consolidation

On the extra curricular I was associated with an NGO, teaching kids for 3 years and now I am establishing a CSR department in my new

company. I will be the representative of my company to the NGO. I am also a member of the Net Impact and take care of the Net at Work initiatives of the chapter.
I have also presented many

whitepapers and presentations on business strategy of auto companies in China and India
I splan to apply to UCLA, Ross, Haas, McCombs, USC Marshall, Rotman

Do you think I have a fair chance of making any to these schools? Do you think I should improve my GMAT score given that my profile resembles to the ubiquitous Indian IT Male?

Can somebody also evaluate US vs Canada scenario, given the fact that canada is much friendly in terms post employment prospects for international students.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  41