Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: An MM now or wait for real MBA??? PLEASE HELP [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey Manoj:

Okay, I think I understand what might be part of your motivation. You basically want to get out of India and spread your wings a little bit. I admire this. I actually find it quite refreshing and I believe it is something that you should do while you are young (and have relatively smaller amounts of responsibility.)

To be honest with you, I believe that professional and personal charity insight are important. But if one had to give a little bit, I would say that you would want to subjugate professional development, so that you could work on who you are as a person and experience more of the world has to offer. In my opinion, this is what is your decision to attend Fuqua. To be clear, this is not a bad motivation. If it ends up being a mistake – which I do not necessarily believe that is – you will have the rest of your life to cover.

So to answer your question about having too many Masters degrees – admissions committee will not look upon this unfavorably, for the most part. You just want to explain how an MBA will add value on top of the degrees that you already have. This can be done to the optional essay when the time comes.

Let's face it, you won't regret moving to the US and going to school. You really can't lose. I hope that Fuqua's career center is as good as they claim. This will definitely help you gain an H1 Visa upon graduation - if that is what you require to work in the US. If you can pull this off and then work in the US for two or three years, you are golden.

So I suppose I'll be the first one to say it - Welcome to America! Pretty soon you'll be a Dukie, cheering at basketball games and listening to East Coast rap like a boss. Holla.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

maverickmj wrote:
Hello Paul,

First off, thanks much for your reply. Secondly, thank you for your shout out about my name. It's a first! :)

I have one follow-up question after reading your reply. What if I feel (after much deliberation) that right now that my best option is the Fuqua MMS program? I know this is more like instant gratification with my eyes more on the short term but I think that it will be a good move to go to Duke this summer. It is a great school, which boasts consistently high placement records, opens up 2 entirely new geographies for me and I'd be getting international experience too. Given all this, I also want to know if the MMS now will definitely close the door to a M7/Top 10 MBA later on because of the 2 Masters I'll have (the one in Econ now and the MMS itself) and because the adcoms will look at me as a degree chaser? And by later on I mean 4-5 years after graduating from the MMS.

I completely understand (I couldn't agree more) about gaining work ex but isn't the MMS only a detour to the same path? I also feel that the MMS is something that I have in hand now and I'm afraid to trade it off for something that is uncertain in the future, as things stand.

Do help me out please (again) with your insights/opinions given this new info and question.

Thanks much in advance,

Manoj
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Paul,

I can completely see why you get the reviews you do!!! You picked up the subtle (or so I thought) hints I dropped and hit the nail right on its head that most others didn't. WOW!!!

Yes, there is a wanderlust in me that's been there for a while and I believe that moving away from home- which I love btw- will help me out immensely to grow as a person. Which is also why giving up Fuqua seemed so hard, even when I have quite an interesting job offer with a startup here at home. This just sprung up on me now (in the last few hours) and now I'm not sure the decision to come to the US will be so easy as this work ex may differentiate me from the scores of others who apply (because there are bankers who apply in hordes to B-School, right?). It has to do with business development and investments- the flip side of banking and sounds like a good opportunity.

The only good thing is that the firm has agreed to let me defer joining by a couple of years when I told them about Fuqua. So I guess going to Fuqua now makes more sense as I have a backup here at home if things don't go as planned.

I just want your thoughts on the matter given the job offer and the possibility of a deferral so I can finally set my mind on one thing and not spend my time and energy making pro/con lists and arguments for both sides.

Thanks for everything, Paul.

Manoj

PS- Do not be surprised if I contact you for help with my MBA app in the next half decade!!!
Send PM
Expert Reply
LOL! Sweet! I look forward to speaking with you when you elect to go for the MBA. Until then, good luck!

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

maverickmj wrote:
Hey Paul,

I can completely see why you get the reviews you do!!! You picked up the subtle (or so I thought) hints I dropped and hit the nail right on its head that most others didn't. WOW!!!

Yes, there is a wanderlust in me that's been there for a while and I believe that moving away from home- which I love btw- will help me out immensely to grow as a person. Which is also why giving up Fuqua seemed so hard, even when I have quite an interesting job offer with a startup here at home. This just sprung up on me now (in the last few hours) and now I'm not sure the decision to come to the US will be so easy as this work ex may differentiate me from the scores of others who apply (because there are bankers who apply in hordes to B-School, right?). It has to do with business development and investments- the flip side of banking and sounds like a good opportunity.

The only good thing is that the firm has agreed to let me defer joining by a couple of years when I told them about Fuqua. So I guess going to Fuqua now makes more sense as I have a backup here at home if things don't go as planned.

I just want your thoughts on the matter given the job offer and the possibility of a deferral so I can finally set my mind on one thing and not spend my time and energy making pro/con lists and arguments for both sides.

Thanks for everything, Paul.

Manoj

PS- Do not be surprised if I contact you for help with my MBA app in the next half decade!!!
GMAT Club Bot