Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Real Estate
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink]
I asked some students at Wharton's welcome weekend and a lot of them told me they have ipads that they use in class and store their class notes on (so that they don't have to print off as much paper, which they have to pay for). They said it's important to have a different computer to use excel on, but it doesn't need to be super nice as long as it has the basic programs you need.

Definitely not the answer I was expecting, but based on that I think I might just get a new ipad and also use my existing computer, which is a couple years old but still gets the job done. I'm really curious to hear what everyone else has to say though! I've been pondering this for awhile too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
I don't like the feel of Windows, so I'll be using a Macbook Air.

As for spreadsheet/Excel...Office for Mac is sufficient for my current, albeit somewhat limited, needs. But if a course requires Windows-only software, I'll just setup a dual boot.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
shorttheworld wrote:
do NOT overpay for apple products, especially if you want to do finance

What does going into finance have to do with purchasing apple products?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
^ I have been told that certain scripts and add-ons for Excel will only work on Window's version of Office

However, this may no longer be an issue given the release of Office for Mac 2011.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
Bought a Toshiba portege ultrabook. This weighs like 2 pounds and is 7mm thick. That + laptop sleeve that fits in my bag = $. Paid like 650 on sale at bestbuy and has appropriate specs to get through school with.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
Send PM
MDF wrote:

As for spreadsheet/Excel...Office for Mac is sufficient for my current, albeit somewhat limited, needs. But if a course requires Windows-only software, I'll just setup a dual boot.

I'm 100% decided on a mac too... I think the new Office will suffice for mac, if not, dual boot it is.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Send PM
wait for apple to come out with the macbook air-pro hybrid. 15 inch. rumors are saying that it's going to be sometime this summer. probably around $1700
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
mpg2011 wrote:
MDF wrote:

I'm 100% decided on a mac too... I think the new Office will suffice for mac, if not, dual boot it is.

Someone above mentioned this, but you really might want to reconsider buying Apple products if you're going to do anything even remotely related to heavy spreadsheet work (i.e. financial modeling, etc.).

I own a MacBook Pro at home and it's completely useless for professional use (my career has been in investment banking and private equity). There are extremely limited excel shortcuts and the lack of a separate number pad is a real pain.

My plan is to make the iPad my everyday device and then find a moderately-priced laptop that I'll use for anything requiring spreadsheets, which I assume will be anything requiring financial models, graphs, statistics, etc. That plan may ultimately change, but there's no chance I'll be using Apple as my b-school laptop.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
MDF wrote:

The wonders of desktop virtualization!

I have no idea if I'm just going to go PC or a Mac... However all the school I've looked at have been pretty adamant about Windows 7 PC's.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Kudos