Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LBS, Oxford
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
Re: Business attire for women [#permalink]
Oh by the way, I don't know if this has been discussed already, but for those who are in the US, Rue La La and Ideeli are daily flash sales sites that sometimes have great business suit sales for women. Some of the brands I remember seeing include Tahari, Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Ann Klein, etc.

I like Gilt and Hautelook too, but they don't seem to have as many suit sales.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.82
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
This thread is a great resource for women's business attire. I have a question regarding shoes. Is patent leather appropriate in a professional setting?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Broad (S)
GPA: 3.1
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I am fortunate enough to live close enough to an outlet mall with a Kasper. Kasper is a store that sells only suits. You can find Kasper suits at Macy's too.

I bought a black pant suit and a grey one. I couldn't resist the grey one because it looks cute on. I spent $200 total. Not too bad. I'll probably wear black to any interviews.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What should you wear? Are panthose always necessary?

How much make up for the workplace?

bpwfoundation org
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It just depends on what you like .Even you can go to tailor accordong to your requirement.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Nonprofit
Schools:HBS
Send PM
bschool2014 wrote:
This thread is a great resource for women's business attire. I have a question regarding shoes. Is patent leather appropriate in a professional setting?
I think patent leather is fine as long as it's a dark colour and not THAT shiny, and obviously, polished.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The phrase “business casual” indicates different things to different organizations. In some organizations it may be satisfactory for females to use Capri jeans or long tops – but prevent these for enterprise purchases. You want to venture that you are a enterprise lady, and not look like a mom returning to a getting together with from your kid's perform time frame.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi there - I was wondering whether anyone had an opinion on whether wearing a nice elie tahari one-piece knee-length dress with a nice cardigan would work. not as formal as it would be with a blazer, but still a good quality outfit. Thoughts?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jerseygal wrote:
Hi there - I was wondering whether anyone had an opinion on whether wearing a nice elie tahari one-piece knee-length dress with a nice cardigan would work. not as formal as it would be with a blazer, but still a good quality outfit. Thoughts?

Thanks

I would wear it with a blazer at least. In fact, I would probably recommend wearing a suit, especially if you're interviewing with a school like HBS. Considering that most of the men would be wearing suits, you don't want to come across as under-dressed or less than professional.

I used to think wearing a dress + blazer was professional enough, but a quick poll of the partners in my firm revealed that many of them consider that less professional / formal than a suit, and hence less appropriate for a formal business meeting. I think it's silly, but I rather err on the side of caution than worry that someone is judging me negatively because of what I'm wearing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
ataraxia wrote:
jerseygal wrote:

Thanks

I would wear it with a blazer at least. In fact, I would probably recommend wearing a suit, especially if you're interviewing with a school like HBS. Considering that most of the men would be wearing suits, you don't want to come across as under-dressed or less than professional.

I used to think wearing a dress + blazer was professional enough, but a quick poll of the partners in my firm revealed that many of them consider that less professional / formal than a suit, and hence less appropriate for a formal business meeting. I think it's silly, but I rather err on the side of caution than worry that someone is judging me negatively because of what I'm wearing.

Thanks for your input :)

Blazer it is!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Rice University (Jones) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
jerseygal wrote:

Thanks

Not trying to beat a dead horse here... and I understand why this doesn't work for interviews and formal meetings. But is there anytime when a dress like this will be ok in business school? Or is it just too dressy for class but not formal enough for a networking event?

I already own several calvin klein dresses like this that I used to wear at work all the time, so it'd be nice to use them when I can. I don't mind standing out against the guys, but I don't want to look like someone's secretary.

FYI - also, I wouldn't often want to wear them with a cardigan/blazer only because I'll be in the sweltering south. So are bare arms an absolute no-no?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
histgirl wrote:
jerseygal wrote:

Thanks

Not trying to beat a dead horse here... and I understand why this doesn't work for interviews and formal meetings. But is there anytime when a dress like this will be ok in business school? Or is it just too dressy for class but not formal enough for a networking event?

I already own several calvin klein dresses like this that I used to wear at work all the time, so it'd be nice to use them when I can. I don't mind standing out against the guys, but I don't want to look like someone's secretary.

FYI - also, I wouldn't often want to wear them with a cardigan/blazer only because I'll be in the sweltering south. So are bare arms an absolute no-no?

Thanks.

I'm not sure about business school, but I wear stuff like that to work all the time, just not for super-formal business meetings. For casual client meetings, I typically wear a dress and a blazer.

The weather where I am is disgustingly hot too, but we always wear a blazer indoors.

Not sure if this is representative of b-sch norms, but that's my 2 cents worth. Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What is the best dress to be worn in a b school?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
MayaN wrote:
What is the best dress to be worn in a b school?

I'm not a woman, so sorry to be the "party crasher" here, but despite the "formal" dress you see in class, your dress is casual in class. Wear whatever you want that's comfortable. In an on campus interview, etc., wear business formal like a pant suit, etc.

The one piece of advice I'd give to women is please don't wear ridiculously high heel shoes above three inches. These shoes often have very crumpled toe boxes, and will cause blisters, which turn into hammertoes and bunions. One of my cousin's wives is a podiatrist and gave these facts. It scared the heck out of my sister wearing heels more than two inches and before she loved heels!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
1. Aim for a traditional and moderate look when choosing your informal company use for the day. Choose outfits that's relaxed yet conveys an established mind-set. Simple, quality components (belts, jewellery and scarves)coordinated with an clothing can display that you pay interest to important information.
2. Incorporate some of your current company clothing collection with informal attire; for example, try dressed in a button-downshift with khakis and loafers. Ask yourself, "Am I efficiently comprising myself and employer?”
3. Clothing should be fresh, pushed or anti aging free, and without gaps or frazzled places. Tops need to be nestled in(certain females shirts are made to be used out, however, and this is permitted).
4. Body striking which can be seen by the consumer (with the exemption of earrings) is not allowed. Dialect rings should not be noticeable.
5. Hair style should venture an established appearance: fresh, nicely cut, and well-groomed.
6. Pay interest to the fit of your outfits. Pants should crack just above the shoes, flashlight sleeves should arrive at the base of your hand and just display a bit of the cuff if you are dressed in a coat, and clothing collars for dogs should option comfortably without grabbing or making breaks. Also, if you use a tie, its tip should arrive at below underneath of your belt-buckle.
8. Footwear issue. Footwear should be refined and set is usually recommended.
9. Take your daily routine into consideration when you are wearing. Do not create presumptions. Keep a extra coat,in the office for surprising events.
10. When in question, keep it out. Casual outfits should create you and everyone you work with more comfortable while, at the same time, predicting an established picture.

Best school in jaipur
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wow.. really, now I'm starting to wonder too. Good luck to u.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Business attire is different from public outfit and tends to be more official. Identifying just how official can be as slick as silk. What's one individual’s floor is another individual’s roof. But one thing is certain: the factors that cover Business attire are smaller than they are for public outfit. For example, public outfit can be more effective or fancy or make more of a declaration, while business outfit should be updated to the needs of the company situation.
In business, your outfits and self care should not sketch attention away. Rather, they should immediate attention to your experience and particularly your sight. When you hook up with a individuals sight, they usually pay attention. But who can focus on one goal on sight when your administrator has her fingertips maintained with rose enhance and 10 products of gold super stunning her cuticles, or your buying broker has a birdwatcher band pierced through his nose? Typical official Business attire has an advantage because it can easily immediate viewers to your sight. A light shirt under a shut black coat types an area of lighting near the experience. A distinct headscarf can improve this effect. Red in the headscarf can help sketch the sight of your viewers to your own.

cbse schools in jaipur | Best school in Jaipur
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9