Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [1]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [1]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Weary Traveler needs advice... (schools and next steps) [#permalink]
Kudos
DeterminedMBA2012 wrote:
I do believe I may have underrepresented myself slightly, and would be curious to if any of the following additional information impacts your previous assessment:

Work Experience (you asked about promotions):
1. I only worked in a traditional, private-sector position for 3 years prior to Peace Corps. In that time:
a. I was promoted a year and a half after joining (initiated entirely by me, involved me moving to a different office and playing an important role in major office transition)
b. [strike]I also relocated to a third office a year later to take over IT responsibility there (again, initiated by me). No title change, but it came with a pay bump and additional responsibility.[/strike]
2. [strike]Company-wise, I should probably say “Top 10 Direct Marketing Agency” (by US Revenue) instead of non-big-name companies.[/strike] Fortune 500?
3. [strike]I would consider the diversity of my experiences a reasonable plus, though I am not sure how to sell it:[/strike] Lots of people can claim diversity of experiences, this isn't necessarily a plus.
a. [strike]Worked for a company that was acquired[/strike]
b. [strike]Relocating into a variety of offices of a direct marketing agency[/strike]
c. [strike]Living in a developing country (complete with mud hut, and no running water or electricity)[/strike] Cool, but no bonus points.
d. [strike]Working[/strike]in schools and computer labs in a developing country. Working? Everything is screaming, I worked, I moved, I relocated, I've been in lots of different places. This is all so screaming passive. What did you do? What mountains did you move? How did you act as a leader where you were? Oh, I went to this office. Well anyone with a plane ticket can go that office, the question is how were you a leader? Did you fundraise for the computer labs? Did you implement some new lab model that reduced costs by X% and allowed 10x more kids to get access? People work at my computer lab and do nothing but refill copier paper, you know?

e. [strike]Returning home to help launch a startup with a social-mission (with the former CEO of the company I worked for)[/strike] No bonus points without results or a role working directly with VC-type backers. Anyone can say they tried to start a company in their basement and it's still in the ramp up stage.

Leadership:
I believe you are right in that this is an area of weakness. That said, I do think I have some ammunition here:
1. [strike]In college I was a Vice President of my service fraternity and re-chartered another student organization (which is still active).[/strike] Did you coordinate some new activity? Lead the service organization in some amazing new way? Or did you just say, yeah I'll go for VP, and then it was business as usual?
2. [strike]During my Peace Corps Service, I was elected to represent a region of 25 of my peers on the volunteer advisory board.[/strike] Ok, you were elected by your peers, which means you're likable. What did you do with that position? How did you really improve XYZ?
3. I organized a student scholarship program and got approval to launch it from the country director, [strike]though I completed my service before I could get everything up and running.[/strike] So close! No follow through = no points.
4. In addition, I launched and lead a number of interesting projects (started a peer tutoring group at a local school, taught evening math classes for a year, wrote a few grants, obtained funding for and initiated a construction project to improve sanitation at a local school, designed and launched a country-wide IT skills program including conducting number of regional trainings, conducted a technology needs assessment for the National Malaria Control Program, in addition to a few other things I can’t think of at the moment).

Academics:
1. I’m in the process of building an alternative transcript I will say though, I'm not sure how much value an alt does for you. A 3.4/710 is enough to show you'll do fine academically, but you can't change it to a 3.9 or Top 50 uni by taking a few extra classes. It's good to do, but not going to move the needle significantly. , which will hopefully communicate to the adcom that I am serious about this pursuit, and has also given me a bit of a business background (A’s in some accounting courses, a math course, and soon, an econ course).
2. As you pointed out, 710 merely checks the box and I should seriously consider retaking the GMAT (especially if I think I can do even a few points better).

Career Goals:
You are absolutely right in that it sounds very disjointed. Although I will likely take a more traditional MBA career immediately following graduation (have to pay off the loans somehow, though I may omit this interim step entirely on my essays), I believe a clear, social entrepreneurship route is the way to go. Perhaps I should mention that within 3 years of graduation, I intend to launch a socially focused entrepreneurial venture.

On a personal level, I also am not sure that anything over a top 15-20 program will give me the mileage I need. My most recent startup experience has clearly illustrated the value of [strike]credibility[/strike] credibility comes from following through and delivering results, not just the brand of a piece of paper, both for securing potential clients, partners, and investors. The better the program, the greater the credibility. In addition, the ROI does not seem to make as much sense when you fall below a 100k median along and employment options drop as well.

You gotta stick to the points where you delivered results. You get no points, and probably negative points, for trying to push "Well, I came up with an idea and kind of got it started, but it didn't/hasn't gone anywhere so far because of excuse/scenario ABC." You don't need a million great points, just a few, but they really need to be little a to BIG Z. Really cultivate the things you launched and got results from.

I still think you're in the same range from my first post. You may think the ROI on a 20-30 isn't so hot, but with your work background, what jobs are you busting down the doors to? A MBA from Georgetown or Notre Dame, for example, should still be a huge boost for someone with your background.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Weary Traveler needs advice... (schools and next steps) [#permalink]