Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [7]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: New GMAT Prep Software Screenshots are Out! [#permalink]
Kudos
bb wrote:
lamanxa wrote:
thanks for sharing, BB! Is it only my impression or the new GMATPrep will be web-based?

I have not caught that right away, but I think you are right - it looks web-based (links and breadcrumbs navigation elements give it away) and I think it makes sense as a web application. It would give them an option to adjust questions and collect millions of data points. It would be smart(er) on their side to make it web-based.

So, I guess it is!

It is interesting that in the email, they called it "software". I wonder why is that?

Do you whether the new gmat software will contain new questions? Or will it contain the same questions as the previous software? It also mentions that we can buy addition question sets. Does this mean in the form of exams or just a set of verbal and quant practice questions?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: New GMAT Prep Software Screenshots are Out! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
burnttwinky wrote:
Do you whether the new gmat software will contain new questions? Or will it contain the same questions as the previous software? It also mentions that we can buy addition question sets. Does this mean in the form of exams or just a set of verbal and quant practice questions?

Good question - I am going to suspect that it will have only a handful of new questions thought it would be great to see some new ones.

I did notice the concept that you can purchase/download/add more questions to your practice. I hope it means full tests and not just the questions, which you can download today already in PDF form and which heavily overlap with GMAT Prep, PowerPrep and OG 10 as well as OG 11.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
Re: New GMAT Prep Software Coming April (4th?) [#permalink]
Kudos
Looks cool. A few contrarion views...

Although it is clear that it's an HTML based application, this doesn't necessarily mean it will be web based, it could still very easily be packaged as a downloadable app. One thought - the previous GMATPrep mirrored the real test interface exactly - if this is web based, does that mean that testing stations will be moving to web based interfaces as well?

It seems unlikely that the app will come with 494 practice questions right out of the box, given that the sale of OGs is a profitable business for GMAC. I think it is more likely that these are additional questions which you could purchase (especially given that we know purchasing additional content will be part of the new GMATPrep). i.e. when you first 'download' the app, you might get 50 practice questions or something unless you buy more.

Additionally, the '90 questions available' shown on the practice exam screen will be referring to that each practice test has 90 questions, i.e. 37 Quant, 41 Verbal and 12 Integrated Reasoning questions
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
pike wrote:

Although it is clear that it's an HTML based application, this doesn't necessarily mean it will be web based, it could still very easily be packaged as a downloadable app. One thought - the previous GMATPrep mirrored the real test interface exactly - if this is web based, does that mean that testing stations will be moving to web based interfaces as well?

It seems unlikely that the app will come with 494 practice questions right out of the box, given that the sale of OGs is a profitable business for GMAC. I think it is more likely that these are additional questions which you could purchase (especially given that we know purchasing additional content will be part of the new GMATPrep). i.e. when you first 'download' the app, you might get 50 practice questions or something unless you buy more.

Additionally, the '90 questions available' shown on the practice exam screen will be referring to that each practice test has 90 questions, i.e. 37 Quant, 41 Verbal and 12 Integrated Reasoning questions

All excellent points!
I like the 90 question calculation - it does add up to 90. Well done!
I also agree that I do not think 494 is the number that the software will ship with, but I think is the limit/max at this time.

I think it will still have the same 2 tests and a few exercises to give you a taste or a pool of questions to build a few quizzes. But it is a guess until next week (at least). The April 4th date is the date mentioned a few times previously but then it was never repeating in the few past months.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
I think pike should be right... There is one big drawback on switching to a web-based environment: the unability to mimetize the official test look-and-feel, which is very important aspect of the current GMATprep version. I don't think GMAC would allow it.
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I would be dissapointed if there are only 494 questions. The current version of GMATPrep likely has about 1400 questions, I know for sure that it has 750 quant questions and I am presuming a similar number for the Verbal as well. This would be a backward step. Unless GMAC plans to turn GMATPrep in to a profit venture by selling additional questions.

Let's hope the entire database has been replenished with new questions, although I am not too optimistic about that.

Here is my advice to GMAC in case they ever read this post:

1) Eliminate any overlap of questions in GMATPrep with all of the Official Guides and that includes past editions as well.
2) The questions that were tested in the last six years that have made it to the world of internet be officially released as part of the new GMATPrep and the official guides. Many of them have already appeared in GMATFocus.
3) Reorganize the Official Guide ranking of the quant questions to reflect their actual difficulty level. The test writers have the data for what percent of the students got a certain question right. ETS used to publish this data for all the GRE questions. GMAT for some reason has never disclosed this information. My guess is that they don't want to do the work, they can hire me for free and I will do it.
4) Expand the number of computer adaptive tests that are part of the GMATPrep to at least four, six would be even better. This would free students of the poor third party CATs that have poorly written questions and scoring algorithms that are all over the place.

Dabral
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V34 GMAT 2: 650  Q48  V33
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
The previous version of GMAT Prep was browser based, it had a bunch of web pages that were dynamically composed. Agreed, it was a stand-alone installer, but the fact remains that GMAT Prep depended on IE which was why it was Windows based. Given that, it wouldn't be surprising if the new version is web-based. Moreover, I'd imagine GMAC would want to gather data from users based on their test taking sprints to sell to the gazillion test prep companies for a cost (and, why not?)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Send PM
I completely agree. I am just hoping that the new cat exams they release are updated not the original cats that they are currently using.

dabral wrote:
I would be dissapointed if there are only 494 questions. The current version of GMATPrep likely has about 1400 questions, I know for sure that it has 750 quant questions and I am presuming a similar number for the Verbal as well. This would be a backward step. Unless GMAC plans to turn GMATPrep in to a profit venture by selling additional questions.

Let's hope the entire database has been replenished with new questions, although I am not too optimistic about that.

Here is my advice to GMAC in case they ever read this post:

1) Eliminate any overlap of questions in GMATPrep with all of the Official Guides and that includes past editions as well.
2) The questions that were tested in the last six years that have made it to the world of internet be officially released as part of the new GMATPrep and the official guides. Many of them have already appeared in GMATFocus.
3) Reorganize the Official Guide ranking of the quant questions to reflect their actual difficulty level. The test writers have the data for what percent of the students got a certain question right. ETS used to publish this data for all the GRE questions. GMAT for some reason has never disclosed this information. My guess is that they don't want to do the work, they can hire me for free and I will do it.
4) Expand the number of computer adaptive tests that are part of the GMATPrep to at least four, six would be even better. This would free students of the poor third party CATs that have poorly written questions and scoring algorithms that are all over the place.

Dabral
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Great news. I plan to take the GMAT in late April so I am looking forward to take a peek at the 'new' GMATPrep
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Ugrad: Indiana University Kelley School of Business
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
I'm also taking the exam in late April so this is great news that I'll be able to use this as part of my prep. Do we have any update on official release date or is it still just "early April"? Can we get a distribution from GMATClub announcing it's release when it does happen?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
same here rollingface, mine is due mid April....it will be great if can get a rain check on this one from GC...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Didn't notice much overlap beyond maybe 1 or 2 questions on any GMATPrep test I did before. I notice it more with verbal than with quant.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Just to update everyone, the New GMATPrep is avaialble for download from mba.com. All the best to potential MBAs !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Send PM
atalb wrote:
Just to update everyone, the New GMATPrep is avaialble for download from mba.com. All the best to potential MBAs !!

I haven't downloaded the software yet, but are the CAT exams new, or they the same CAt exams as the previous version?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
atalb wrote:

Like many have speculated though the software is free, there now are add-on packs for a fee.

https://www.mba.com/store/product-info.a ... uctID=5025
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
bb wrote:
pike wrote:

All excellent points!
I like the 90 question calculation - it does add up to 90. Well done!
I also agree that I do not think 494 is the number that the software will ship with, but I think is the limit/max at this time.

I think it will still have the same 2 tests and a few exercises to give you a taste or a pool of questions to build a few quizzes. But it is a guess until next week (at least). The April 4th date is the date mentioned a few times previously but then it was never repeating in the few past months.

90 questions - FREE - GMAT Prep
https://www.mba.com/store/product-info.a ... uctID=5035

The GMATPrep software uses the same technology used by the official GMAT® exam so you can simulate the actual test experience.

Key features include:
90 free questions – 30 Quantitative, 45 Verbal, 15 Integrated Reasoning – with answers and explanations
Tools to create your own practice question set
Performance reports to help you review your progress and focus your prep
2 full-length practice GMAT exams with detailed results
Ability to extend GMATPrep software by purchasing additional content

404 additional questions - GMATPrep Question Pack 1 - $24.99
Extend your free GMATPrep® software download with this pack of 404 questions and answer explanations: 200 Quantitative, 180 Verbal, and 24 Integrated Reasoning. This pack includes questions never before seen in any other GMAT® exam product.
Format: Online
US$24.99

Guessing the denomination 'Pack 1' is indicating additional extension packs in the future...?
Looking forward to bb's review of both the interface and the question banks! :-D
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32878 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
just installed and tested.

really cool with a lottttt of options. Also the math review concepts section is well organized at first look.

Nice
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2