Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: CR study help [#permalink]
I thought the Powerscore CR Bible was the best book I used for any section. I went from about 75-80% accuracy to over 95% on this section and I attribute that to reading through the CR Bible extensively a few times.
SVP
SVP
IJR wrote:
I thought the Powerscore CR Bible was the best book I used for any section.

This was my favorite guidebook, too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
bmillan01 wrote:
I second slay3r's recommendation of the Powerscore CR Bible. It's a fantastic guidebook.

I think that an 80 percent is pretty decent for OG. But the OG Verbal is generally considered a little too easy. More challenging options include OG 13 and LSAT LR material.

One of the most helpful things that you can do is fully read every single OG explanation - even the ones that you answer correctly. This strengthens your understanding of the problems and "GMAT logic."

So the OG 13 is more challenging than OG Verbal? Does the same stand for OG 12?
SVP
SVP
The OG 12 and OG 13, from what I understand, are quite similar (OG 13 has a few more recent and difficult questions). So yes, OG 12 contains more challenging problems than OG Verbal.

This shouldn't discourage anyone from using the OG Verbal, however. It still contains 300 retired GMAT questions. It's a nice start, but it won't take you very far.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bmillan01 wrote:

I think that an 80 percent is pretty decent for OG. But the OG Verbal is generally considered a little too easy. More challenging options include OG 13 and LSAT LR material.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

By the way, I was referring to OG 12. I completed some more questions from the book and had an accuracy over 85%. But yes, most of the questions seemed easier compared to those I faced in my gmatprep test. I'm going to purchase OG 13 since I'll write my gmat on early July after the change is incorporated. But what LSAT materials do you recommend? Also is there any other material for practicing gmat-like CR questions?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
slay3r wrote:
WOuld you mind sharing your thoughts on the GmatPill and eGMAT's course.

Thanks for your reply.

For SC, I liked e-gmat more. I think a combination of e-gmat and Manhattan SC will give you the best result.

I've not completed the RC section yet. But so far I've developed a good impression about gmatpill RC. It clearly shows "how you should approach an RC" rather than just offering some strategies.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Kudos
born2win wrote:
But what LSAT materials do you recommend? Also is there any other material for practicing gmat-like CR questions?

Anything from LSAT SuperPrep or one of those "10 Actual Official LSAT Prep Tests" books would be acceptable, though some questions are out-of-scope for the GMAT. You can also find difficult CR questions in the links below:

critical-reasoning-question-directory-topic-and-difficulty-128861.html

search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=215
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi guys,
Powerscore CR is a good book, but it does not have enough practice problems. To really increase accuracy, it is necessary to practice as many questions as possible and understand each of the options explained. However, it is very important that you rely on good source. During my preparation, I found that lot of CR questions were not as clear as were the OG's. On the gmat, the cr questions are very clearly worded. I found e-gmat CR questions very closely resembling to the OG types of questions. I must say that your understanding of GMAT LOGIC very much depends on the source of questions.

Do's:
powerscore CR
e-gmat CR
Ron's videos
OG/OG Verbal

Dont's:
any random cr question on the forums(you should rather search for explanations to your questions)
trying to come out with formal logics to particular types of questions (except for Assumptions, in which you can apply Negation Technique)

Sources that confused me(I will not advice to rely on these):
Kaplan Verbal
Princeton Review
Princeton Verbal

I will be happy to help... :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So did anyone other than ankurmgr use e-gmat CR? Though I've access of it, I don't want to spend time on it if it doesn't add anything more.

I would like to know-
a) The level of difficulty of the questions
b) Whether their strategies will be helpful to solve 700 level questions.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ankurmgr wrote:
Hi guys,
Powerscore CR is a good book, but it does not have enough practice problems. To really increase accuracy, it is necessary to practice as many questions as possible and understand each of the options explained. However, it is very important that you rely on good source.

I will be happy to help... :-D

Thanks for your input.

You have a good gmat score and a good cgpa as well. Which school are you targeting? Why don't you write a debrief on gmat club? It will be really helpful for us.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Hi

Can someone share the feedback about e-gmat CR ? again please let me know whether their live classes are worth or do you think their training module is enough ?

If someone could guide me .. i wanna buy one course either gmatpill or e-gmat for improving my verbal

thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
versatile wrote:
Hi

Can someone share the feedback about e-gmat CR ? again please let me know whether their live classes are worth or do you think their training module is enough ?

If someone could guide me .. i wanna buy one course either gmatpill or e-gmat for improving my verbal

thanks

As I already said, I really liked the SC part of e-gmat, not sure about their CR though. I'd love to get inputs from gmat clubbers about e-gmat CR before starting to work on it.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi born2win, I will write debrief soon. Thanks for your compliment. :)
GMAT Club Bot