Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 262 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE:Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: 2012 LBS MiF Applicants welcome! [#permalink]
rwkTX wrote:

I am also studying for the Level II CFA exam this June. Personally, I wouldn't reduce your CFA preparation to retake the GMAT. If you do this, you run the risk of not improving your GMAT score + failing the CFA exam. In my opinion, I think passing the CFA exam and being a Level III candidate will make you more attractive to employers than raising your GMAT. Good luck to you either way though and congrats on your acceptance.

I am also sure that CFA is more appreciated by employers but I really need the scholarship (preferable Anno Domini - to cover full tution fees:) so confused how to balance my CFA and GMAT preparation.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
harh12 wrote:
I have had conversations with 4-5 students - non EU at LBS and all of them have said that the Visa is an issue for employment. I would advise that students should talk to current students to get a more wider perspective on whats on paper on whats the ground reality.

The reasons cited by non eu students says,

1. To move from tie 2 to work Visa there is a legal process involved with no guarantee of success, the consulate has his discretion to accept or reject the Visa. Most mid and small companies are shying away from this complication and uncertainty and of late also the big companies are looking to hire only EU students. Prior non eu students could stay for 2 years without any sponsorship so companies werent bothered about the Visa issue.

2. There is a large pool of Masters and unemployed EU students already available who are much easier to recruit.

3. While the quota is not affected most companies are worried that rapid hiring of non EU will lead to their Tier 2 status changed from A to B. Moreover Tie 2 B companies arent keen on pursuing this route to avoid any risk.

4. To the above point on Tier 1 graduate entrepreneur Visa I dont think its available for anyone doing research etc. work in business administration or finance. The only other route is to start your own company with the condition of being employed in it only which makes it highly impossible for someone to change from tie 1 graduate to tier 2 work.

Once again I dont know what the actual ground situation is as I havent been there, what I would recommend is to get more perspectives before deciding whats the ground situation.

I also asked some LBS students about the employment during or after the graduation. One MBA student who graduated this winter told me that dominant portion of non-EU students were not able to find a job in London and returned to their home countries or went to Asia/USA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: LBS '14 (M$)
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
LBS portal has finally been updated :) and i see names of all our newly admitted gmatclubbers.

a bit of statistics based on current portal data:
85 admits
14 from India
9 from China

our of 85 18 are females :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
laman wrote:
LBS portal has finally been updated :) and i see names of all our newly admitted gmatclubbers.

85 admits
14 from India
9 from China

thanks Laman for the update.
I have received the email informing me that I am shortlisted for an interview. However, the date is not set up yet.
In the email, it is said that they may also wish to investigate my technical ability, which I have no idea about. Could anyone give me some info about that? Any tips?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 262 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
daphne2012 wrote:

I have received the email informing me that I am shortlisted for an interview. However, the date is not set up yet.
In the email, it is said that they may also wish to investigate my technical ability, which I have no idea about. Could anyone give me some info about that? Any tips?

Congratulations!
you received the usual email with usual wording. as far as I understood from my interview, the technical ability means your knowledge about your field of work. an interviewer will ask you a lot of questions about what you do. if he/she is exactly from your field, then you should expect very detailed questions. I have not heard about any modelling or calculations during interviews.

good luck!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
congratulations to you! you know, that this shortlist email is one of the biggest milestones as they reject 70% of the applicants at this stage!
they usually try to find an interviewer from your sphere of work. one of the main purposes of the interview is to verify statements you made in your application - so usually interviewers ask detailed questions about your work, how you do things, etc. Read the topic from the beginning, lots of people described their interviews and questions they had, this might be very helpful while preparation. There are also some links with detailed interviews description. Largely interview depends on your interviewer, there were some pople whom they asked about overall understanding of finance, but these are very rare examples. In any case, it's better to be prepared as well as you can as this is the last thing which you'll have to prove! Good luck :)

daphne2012 wrote:
laman wrote:

85 admits
14 from India
9 from China

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I also got an invite on Tuesday. Any idea how long do they take to come back with interviewer details after sending out interview invite?

Thanks
laman wrote:
congratulations to you! you know, that this shortlist email is one of the biggest milestones as they reject 70% of the applicants at this stage!
they usually try to find an interviewer from your sphere of work. one of the main purposes of the interview is to verify statements you made in your application - so usually interviewers ask detailed questions about your work, how you do things, etc. Read the topic from the beginning, lots of people described their interviews and questions they had, this might be very helpful while preparation. There are also some links with detailed interviews description. Largely interview depends on your interviewer, there were some pople whom they asked about overall understanding of finance, but these are very rare examples. In any case, it's better to be prepared as well as you can as this is the last thing which you'll have to prove! Good luck :)

daphne2012 wrote:
laman wrote:

85 admits
14 from India
9 from China

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
Dheeraj wrote:
I also got an invite on Tuesday. Any idea how long do they take to come back with interviewer details after sending out interview invite?

Thanks

It depends on your location/experience. LBS is trying to find alumni 1) in your preferred location 2) from your current sphere of work. Usually it takes around 10-15 days. In my example it took 2 months to find an interviewer, but i guess this is an exception ;) good luck to you with your interview! :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Hi everybody!
On April 12th I received the invitation to the interview! I guess it will not be easy for them to find an alumnus around since I live in C. Asia, but let's see.
I am very excited and look forward to good news from all you members as well.
Ciao
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Laman

laman wrote:
Dheeraj wrote:

Thanks

It depends on your location/experience. LBS is trying to find alumni 1) in your preferred location 2) from your current sphere of work. Usually it takes around 10-15 days. In my example it took 2 months to find an interviewer, but i guess this is an exception ;) good luck to you with your interview! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Kudos
enri77 wrote:
Hi everybody!
On April 12th I received the invitation to the interview! I guess it will not be easy for them to find an alumnus around since I live in C. Asia, but let's see.
Ciao

Good luck, Enri. Don't forget to read the information below about other's interview experiences. Also, you should review the electives offered because your interviewer will likely ask you what electives you want to take. Before my interview I assumed this was just to test that you are familiar with the program. Now that I've been accepted and am reading more, however, I bet they ask because it helps them to assign you to a study group for your project.

Ryan

https://finantic.blogspot.com/2007/12/lb ... ience.html
https://lbssojourn.blogspot.com/2008/04/ ... rview.html

https://www.london.edu/programmes/mif/pr ... tives.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dheeraj wrote:

Hi Dheeraj,
the time really depends on your location. In my case Peter promised to find an alumnus in Kiev. But I knew that there are no LBS alumni in Kiev and notified the adcom that i am fine to go to Moscow. As a result, Peter sent me details in 2 days.
So if you are sure that it is hard to find an interviewer in your location, just give the adcom the alternative. This could save your waiting time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi JubtaGubar

Thanks for the info. I am based in London so I am sure there must be quite a few alumni based in London.

JubtaGubar wrote:
Dheeraj wrote:

Hi Dheeraj,
the time really depends on your location. In my case Peter promised to find an alumnus in Kiev. But I knew that there are no LBS alumni in Kiev and notified the adcom that i am fine to go to Moscow. As a result, Peter sent me details in 2 days.
So if you are sure that it is hard to find an interviewer in your location, just give the adcom the alternative. This could save your waiting time.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Thanks a lot for the advice Ryan, you are very helpful.
I am not much worried about it but sure I will do homework before the interview!
e.

rwkTX wrote:
enri77 wrote:
Hi everybody!
Ciao

Good luck, Enri. Don't forget to read the information below about other's interview experiences. Also, you should review the electives offered because your interviewer will likely ask you what electives you want to take. Before my interview I assumed this was just to test that you are familiar with the program. Now that I've been accepted and am reading more, however, I bet they ask because it helps them to assign you to a study group for your project.

Ryan
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
thanks laman for your info and advice. And I have found many help information here. thanks everyone. will keep you posted on any developments with my interview and application.

laman wrote:

daphne2012 wrote:
laman wrote:

85 admits
14 from India
9 from China

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anyone has any ideas on the Cambridge MFin program. Sounds very similar to LBS MiF? Would Cambridge name not be better longer term than LBS?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Everybody, I just got a final offer for the MiF 2012 intake!

Looking to connect with the 2012 cohort..

I am from India; ~ 5.5 years, spanning consulting and buy-side experience. (Haven't informed my employer yet...so will be discreet for sometime :) )

Happy to connect with group!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  15   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts