Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [1]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Carey (A)
GPA: 3.7
WE:Asset Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Johns Hopkins Carey 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I have been admitted to the class of 2014.
I am glad that, finally, Carey has a "calling all applicants" page :-)

Well Mike50K, I agree with your 2 cents. In fact, my background is in finance and core investment/trading, yet I chose to apply to Carey. I believe that Carey offers a unique mixture of management and social entrepreneurship.

I have been accepted at a top-25 business school but I am seriously leaning toward JHU. I have been in touch with a couple of current and matriculating students, and ,with all honesty, they are ivy-league material.

I hope this page can offer more information on the quality of education, internships, and any insider information would be helpful at this point :-)

Peace
-F
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Goizueta '14
WE:Consulting (Insurance)
Send PM
I echo the sentiment of others, glad the calling all applicants page is up. Strangely it's like validation the elite MBA applicants are taking notice. It had been the same three or so of us commenting on the other JHU page.

I still haven't decided between Emory or JHU and it looks like it'll come down to the wire for me. I just can't bring myself to turn down JHU. The program is so exciting. Good things will come from this program. Would love to hear from other prospective students.

Note, I intend to pursue a career in consulting for companies developing risk transfer products for emerging markets or ERM for large companies. Love the global experience and bringing an idea to market given the global importance of risk management. So, I don't want all consulting/finance minded students to write this program off.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 4
Send PM
@mike50000, thanks for starting the roll call for JHU Carey. Given the school's newness and small class size it's obviously a little tough to find fellow applicants. I would echo what you mentioned about Hopkins' strength in healthcare, as well as its overall reputation. Carey will be an ascendant school in the near future; I would look for it to debut high on the rankings as it is already doing quite well in attracting students with high undergrad GPA, GMAT, etc., and placed its inaugural class quite well in internships. (job placement stats pending graduation in May)

I'm quite honestly almost as attracted by the school's humanitarian bent as I am by the Hopkins name. I want a good business education, but I think that what we go out and do with that education will be deeply affected by the school's ethos. I also agree that one can go to Carey and then go into (or back into) banking or consulting. We need principled bankers and consultants just as much as we need principled leaders of healthcare organizations and NGO's.

Lastly, it is a little risky to go to an emergent rather than an established business school, but cultivating an adventerous spirit rather than copying the herd mentality should be looked on as a competive advantage, rather than a liability.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hello all! I just finished my Carey weekend MBA application and stumbled on to this thread. Fingers crossed! I am also applying at GT, GW, and UMD but Carey is particularly intriguing. I am very much someone who has gotten by on making my own opportunities in life and work, and I think the schedule they are offering will do more in terms of maintaining/developing professional inertia if I get in. A solid professional network is great but not a massive priority for me.

As for my background - I'm 28, have been living/working/studying all around the Middle East for the better part of the last seven years, and doing public management consulting for the past three. I have a BA from a T3 school and an MA from the American University in Cairo, not the most rigorous program there but a unique school nonetheless. Scored mid-to-high 600s on the GMAT (not spectacular), solid 1300s on an older GRE, trilingual, and have a few wildcard aspects to my application that I'm sure will be memorable for the admissions board whether I get in or not.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bump
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Carey (A)
WE:Asset Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
It is so quite around here!

Any one matriculating? Is there any one placed on the wait list? Dinged?Any action or reaction? :-)

I am leaning toward accepting the offer...with a smile :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Waaaayyy too quiet.

I wanted to share some of my thoughts on a recent campus visit. It was an informal visit with Mary Somers, who has been my admissions contact. First, the neighborhood... the East Harbor is very swanky. I've never spent any real time in Baltimore, and was pretty surprised by the area. I'd imagine it's probably one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Baltimore. It was a mix of high-end condos, corporate centers, and restaurants/supermarkets (whole foods). The Carey building itself is beautiful. They have a long term rental agreement with the people at Legg Mason. The facility was beautiful and very well kept... clean, professional security, hardwood floors ... ok, who cares? right, I'm just saying, it was well put together.

I've taken classes at Wharton, and the teaching facilities are similar. Classrooms are classrooms. I didn't see everything, but the place didn't seem huge, which is expected considering the much smaller class size compared to other MBA programs. If they grew, perhaps they could just rent another floor in the building??? Seems reasonable. I chatted with a few students, and they seemed great. I'm not one of these people who will draw huge conclusions from a single school visit (like, I meet one person who does X, and all of a sudden the school is strong in X in my mind... or I see some shortcoming, and that somehow represents a larger, systemic shortcoming... you hear that crap all the time... Power your "studies" people!).

The meeting went well. Ms Somers was wonderful. She was patient with my questions, and candid about the program and my chances of acceptance - without being TOO candid. It would have been nice to have done a kind of half-day thing where you sit in on a class, and perhaps meet with a student (as I'd done at other schools), but I didn't ask after this option either, so perhaps it is offered but I just missed it...

The next day I was in DC, and because I'm applying for a PT DC MBA program, I thought I'd visit the facilities. Oddly, I walked away from both the DC and Baltimore facilities with similar thoughts. Small, but sufficient, and situated in beautiful neighborhoods. The DC program is actually located in the same building complex as one of the SAIS buildings. To me this was a vote of confidence, as the SAIS program is so highly regarded. Integrating the schools physically, intellectually, etc., would help Carey get its footing there and strengthen the opportunities available to SAIS students. In fact, when I walked through the Carey building, I ran into some SAIS students, so there is some informal cross-pollination between those programs. SAIS has some interesting and high-profile MBA/MA partnerships with Wharton, Tuck and INSEAD. They really need to open up this to Carey as well (and conversely, let Carey students apply for a dual MBA/MA with SAIS). While, yes, Wharton, Tuck and INSEAD are very strong MBA programs, with whom probably most SAIS students would pursue MBAs with if given the opportunity, I think a number would probably choose Carey for - certainly - the program, but also for the convenience. Students don't love moving all of their stuff every year or two just to chase another graduate school degree. Some will want to be in DC for a year or two and then at Wharton in Philly for a year or two... but many just won't want to bother with all that and, if allowed, just sit for the MBA with Carey in DC. Who knows.

Annnnyyywwwayyy... as I was saying, the DC facilities were fine. Small, but - again - it's a small program. And because admin is in Baltimore, there is essentially only need for classroom space. It was exciting to see the Hopkins presence in DC. I guess its biggest competitor in that market is Georgetown, but I think they will overshadow this program quickly if they expand the Carey school in DC, and - more generally - as the Carey name is more known along the east coast.

So, all in all, a good two days. I will hear from admissions in a few weeks. Fingers crossed! If I got in, I'd certainly attend. I was very impressed - especially considering the program just launched its full-time MBA. I've visited about half of the top-10 MBA programs, and I thought this one - while certainly on a different level in the development of their program - stacked up very well. Very polished. Very professional. Lots of energy. They seem to be working hard and doing what they need to bolster the program and move it forward. I'd say, expect big things.

@sawtooth - I'd apply. Your decent GRE, previous master's from an interesting international program, and your international experience would - I think - make you a strong candidate. The one thing you left out was GPA. If that is strong in undergrad and grad, I'd say go for it.

@flamenco2007 et al. - I agree that people who want to go into banking and consulting should also certainly consider Carey. I was just trying to get at the fact that 50% of Columbia MBAs go into finance. Another large percentage into business consulting. That's fine - and similar across many of the top 15 programs. But for someone like myself who has no interest (beyond a passing or academic one) in banking and consulting, it was a tough sell for me to apply early decision only to network for 2 years with a group that largely would be working in an area that I wasn't professionally drawn to. Carey students are more all over the board, which I'd prefer.

That being said, it seems that people who are in banking/finance (or going into banking) would find ample opportunity to follow that career path through a Carey MBA. And they do have that finance master's.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@mike50000 - Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and good point about SAIS & Carey. On a promising note, it appears that some crossover between the schools has begun:

"Gordon Bodnar (Ph.D. Princeton University 1991) joined the faculty of the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School in 2011. He is the Morris W. Offit Professor of International Finance in the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies and currently acts as Director of the International Economics Program there."

-from the Carey Faculty page

@flamenco2007 - Congrats! I am glad that you will also be a part of the class of 2014; I look forward to meeting you in August!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello everyone,

When I found out about JHU - Carey School of business where business is taught with humanity in mind, I was immediately intrigued by the uniqueness of the program. I believe there are two categories of MBA candidates. One category includes extremely competitive candidates who possibly start applying to every single bank on Wall Street from day one. The other one include those who are more focused on unique and individual dreams and on changing the world, especially by nature Carey's GMBA is considered the anti-MBA program. So it really depends on what you want to do for you to see what kind of results you will take with you from whichever MBA program you decide to pursue.

Anyway, one of the biggest criteria in choosing the suitable MBA must be employment. And this is the biggest concern of mine as well. Although the name Hopkins is no doubt very big everywhere, Carey is still a baby. Employers are certainly smart enough not to get fooled by brand marketing. What do you think is the chance that JHU will get its foot in the door, considering competition with other long time established MBA's? And keep in mind that Carey hasn't been credited yet.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@flamenco2007 - CONGRATS! Exciting stuff. Keep us all informed (orientation, visits, etc.)

@sinotranslator - Interesting and heartening to see.

@ktluvp - The first full time GMBA class is graduating next month, I believe. I'm sure there will be an employment report.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
An interesting and recently-posted video from Carey aimed at you finance types:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello
My name is Rachel from Taiwan, I have been admitted to the class of 2014.
I've worked in IT industry for 4 years.
as pre-sales consultant in HP
and Web Marketing in Trend Micro

Before applied JHU, i did a lot research and consulted current students as well as MBA application consultants.
The resources and investment from Carey are really attempting for me.
I am doing house hunting right now and will head to Baltimore in early July.
I am so excited to enter the class. hope hear more good news here. :)

Rachel
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rachel,

Welcome to the Carey Community. I would recommend you check out CareyNet and the Off Campus Housing link that you have probably been sent to. I will be starting Carey in the Fall as well and very excited. Also looking for housing and it seems like not much activities go on on the school website. Also check out craigslist you could find pretty good places on it if you're lucky. I will head there in mid July or a week before Orientation.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Hi all! I have applied for the Flexible MBA program at Carey. Due to logistics reasons, if I were to enroll, I would be attending classes at the Montgomery County location, which is right down the streets from where I live. I have also applied to Georgetown, which I have already interviewed, and Maryland. If I get lucky, I would have the 3 to choose from, and my toss up would be GT and JHU. Still have not made up my mind on the 1st choice. As with some of you, the unique philosophy of Carey's MBA program is why I applied. However, GT is so well established that it would be difficult to pass up.

Good luck all!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Goizueta '14
WE:Consulting (Insurance)
Send PM
Leprechaun wrote:
Hi all! I have applied for the Flexible MBA program at Carey. Due to logistics reasons, if I were to enroll, I would be attending classes at the Montgomery County location, which is right down the streets from where I live. I have also applied to Georgetown, which I have already interviewed, and Maryland. If I get lucky, I would have the 3 to choose from, and my toss up would be GT and JHU. Still have not made up my mind on the 1st choice. As with some of you, the unique philosophy of Carey's MBA program is why I applied. However, GT is so well established that it would be difficult to pass up.

Good luck all!

I have met a lot of students from the Virginia/Washington DC area at a couple Welcome Weekends for Top25 programs and they all seem very unimpressed with Georgetown; so much so that they didn't even consider it in their search for top MBAs. They feel its status as top 30-35 is reflective of its name but its job prospects and business reputation leaves much to be desired. Take that how you will since you apparently live up there as well, just letting you know the reputation is getting from other locals. I would prefer the unique approach at Johns Hopkins over the GT program. I suppose it would depend on what you want to do though. GT is certainly a great school and you can't go wrong with either. Good luck with the decision.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@Emory. Thank you for the advice.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Accepted to both Georgetown and Maryland. Still waiting for notification from JHU. I hope I'll hear from JHU soon, because I only have 2 weeks left to lock in my placement at GT and MD.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2