Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [10]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.64
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: 710 (48Q, 40V) - GMAT Strategy [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks for the nice debrief and congratulations on that great score. I want to know how many chapters a day did you study from the Manhattan GMAT guides.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
I did 2 chapters in quant and 1 in verbal per day from the MGMAT guides.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Hi, great story. I'm a total newb at GMAT and wanted to know what is
Quote:
"free Manhattan GMAT Thursdays with Ron" sessions conducted by Ron Purewal.

How can I gain acces to those sessions? is that a webpage or a book or videos?

thanks for the info
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-09-2011
Send PM
Hi
Congrats on your wonderful score!
My GMAT is on may 1st.
Took Mgmat mock ten days ago and scored 600 q44 v 30 ( hope I remember correct split)
But last two days ago I took GMAT prep and scored devastating 480 q41 v16
Am tensed y so low score :-(
Actually I gave exam after finishing full dat office
From 6.30pm to 10.15pm

From the time I gave the exam just so scared and tensed y such low score

I need to give exam on that date only
As I have got conditional admissions from various colleges and waiting for high GMAT score to be accepted.

I need 650+ at any cost

Pls advice me what I need to do

I used OG 12
Manhattan guides
Cr bible
Am quite weak in rc

Thanks in advance

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Schools:ISB,Haas,Carnegie,Ross
Send PM
Thanks for the wonderful debrief.. A very definite and well to go study plan i must say.
Could you please provide me the link to the classes for "Thursdays with Ron". Thanks!!!!
All the best... :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Congratulations on your score. I wish the very best for your future.
I have a question for you regarding Reading Comprehension.
I have a feeling about RC that i can tackle these questions with a minimum set of preparation and practice.

Do you agree with it? If yes , what is the minimum set of practice I could do?
If not, what should be the ideal prep?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Send PM
sweetzishh5986, since there are only 10 days left, I suggest that you go through your mistakes on the OG and review the manhattan gmat material. Error analysis and review of material could help you gain confidence. I would also suggest you to watch the "Timing considerations", "Backup methods" sessions on "Thursdays with Ron". You might also watch the sessions for topics on which you are not very confident. Since you say you are weak in RC, you might want to go through the RC sessions first.

Take the gmat prep tests on weekends, after watching the timing considerations. Are you spending too much time on a problem? Not guessing and moving on when you find that you can't solve within 2.5 mins? This analysis can be done after you watch the timing considerations session. Also try to take the gmat club section tests on a daily basis.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nkimidi7y, I think practicing RC from OG-12 should be sufficient. GMAT passages are very well written, but some of them are kind of too technical so practice would be good to get used to them. That being said, I must say that I didn't practice any RC, due to lack of time. I just hoped that my consistent reading habits would save me.

Originally posted by mymbadreamz on 19 Apr 2012, 21:21.
Last edited by mymbadreamz on 19 Apr 2012, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
amitbehera, I have added the link to my post in the Unsolicited advice section. All the best for your GMAT!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-09-2011
Send PM
Thanks lot for the inputs.

Will follow.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello everyone,
Reading such success stories is really inspiring!
After a failure on the test last week(540) i have only 1 month to retake it...and i need at least 660.

Could you guys advice with the study plan?
I am working full time, so i have in 1 week: 2 full weekend-time+3 hours in the evening per weekday.

I went through all the MGMAT guides already and now i am focusing on practise, as last time i didn't have actually much time to practice, my verbal section score is lower that quant. one.
Also, OG Qt is 90& reviewed, but there are problems that i don't get.
OG Vb - 5% reviewed.

Should i start reading LSAT books/Kaplan?
Or is it better if i do OG practise only?

Being a non-native speaker makes it so much harder, hope that i am not alone ;)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Totally helpful tips from mymbadreamz!!! Can't thank you enough.

I stumbled mymbadreamz's post about how Ron is a great teacher and started listening to his lessons last Friday (4/20) and my GMAT exam is today (4/23). I found the lessons so useful and I understand the verbals way more than I ever did. I scored a 600 last month and this is my second attempt. To be honest I didn't do crazy practices since my last exam. I just did more practices when I had time. I downloaded some zipped up practices from gmatclub. Verbal was my weakness last exam.

And I'm happy to announce that I got a 720 today! :-D :-D :-D I managed to listen to most of Ron's verbal lessons and they are GREAT help! I totally encourage everyone to listen to them if you have difficulties with verbal. Better yet join his sessions to ask him questions directly.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for the tips.
I have listened to 8-10 classes of Thursdays with Ron and they are great. Some of his explanations have questioned my over confidence especially in Data Sufficiency.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I scored a 710 in my GMAT today.
Thanks to you. Your post had given a direction to my preparation.
Here is my story :)
just-came-out-of-the-test-center-scored-a-132811.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
 Q47  V28 GMAT 2: 570  Q40  V29
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
mymbadreamz wrote:
I'm finally done with the GMAT with a 710 (48Q, 40V). Here's the history and the strategy I adopted.

After scoring borderline 690s and a crushing 650 last year, I was feeling quite dejected and my life was in a downward spiral. I dealt with negative thoughts. Every single day. May be, I'm not good enough. What if I never cross the 700 mark? All this was until I discovered Ron Purewal and the free Manhattan GMAT "Thursdays with Ron" sessions conducted by Ron Purewal.

Suddenly, the GMAT became an interesting game. Ron is the best teacher I've had. After you listen to him explaining a concept, you will never forget it. He just takes 6 to 8 slides to explain a topic over the course of a 90 minute session. But the way he does it is fascinating. Even if he was teaching the most boring subject in the world, he would find a way to make it interesting. His attitude towards the GMAT is simply awesome!

Here's my GMAT strategy:

1. I started my preparation from March 1st, 2012. For Quant, I used the following MGMAT Strategy guides: MGMAT Number Properties, MGMAT FDPs, MGMAT Inequalities, MGMAT Geometry and MGMAT Word Translations. For Verbal, I used the PowerScore CR Bible and MGMAT Sentence Correction guide. For practice, I used the OG-12 and OG review for quant and verbal.

2. The way I did this: I would read a chapter in the MGMAT guide and do the relevant problems in the OG-12 and OG Quant or Verbal Review for that chapter. Using an excel sheet that classifies OG problems by topics, I focused on the questions, chapter-wise.

3. When I made mistakes in the OG questions, I searched the explanation on the GMAT Club forums and Beat the GMAT forums. The GMAT Club Legend, Bunuel, with his patience and crystal clear explanations, was prompt in replying and clearing my doubts. To understand algebraic approaches, I referred to Bunuel's posts.

4. When I didn't want to do algebraic methods and wanted to follow shortcuts such as number plugging, I looked up the explanations posted by GMATGuruNY and Anurag@Gurome on the Beat the GMAT forums. These explanations were incredibly easy to follow.

5. On a side-note, Manhattan GMAT is not supposed to post OG questions, as the GMAC has explicitly asked them not to. If a guy like Ron explained all the problems in the OG, GMAC would be out of business.

6. I mainly listened to the FREE Manhattan GMAT study hall sessions "Thursdays with Ron". I'm a die-hard fan of Ron Purewal now. For me, the Timing considerations on the GMAT and backup methods sessions were CRUCIAL in breaking the 80th percentile in quant . I went through all the quant study hall sessions and all sessions for RC and CR. I had about 10 sessions remaining in SC, which I had to reluctantly omit because there was no time.

7. I took 2 GMAT Preps and one Manhattan GMAT test during these four weeks. I used the Manhattan GMAT forums to understand the GMAT Prep errors. GMAT Prep questions are allowed on the Manhattan GMAT. I scored 750 on GMAT Prep 1 and 720 on the MGMAT test and a 700 on GMAT Prep 2.

8. I used to alternate between Quant and Verbal. When I was tired of doing quant questions from the OG, I would read a chapter from MGMAT SC and do the OG SC questions, or read a chapter from the Powerscore CR bible.

9. I also made time to do one LSAT CR section a day. These were really hard for me. But I finished the verbal section 41 minutes ahead of time and I believe that my extensive practice using these super hard LSAT tests is one of the reasons.

10. I did not do LSAT RC. I found that I promptly fell asleep if I read any of those passages. So used my judgment here and skipped them.

Unsolicited Advice

1. Watch one session of Thursdays with Ron a day. The link to these free classes is https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm. Take snapshots of the class and put it into a word doc for later review. Try to complete all sessions, starting from the timing considerations and backup methods sessions and move on to sessions on your weak areas.

2. Do one LSAT CR section a day. Review your errors the same day. One LSAT CR section has about 25 questions.

3. Work on 2 quant chapters and the relevant OG questions a day. Search the GMAT Club or Beat the GMAT forums for explanations to the questions on which you made mistakes.

4. Work on one verbal chapter (either from MGMAT SC or PowerScore CR) and the relevant OG questions a day.

5. Take one Full Length test a week. Search the Manhattan GMAT forums for explanations, especially those of Ron for the questions on which you made mistakes.

If you have further questions, please let me know. I would be glad to help in any way I can, because I have experienced the pain and effort it takes to finally get there!

Congrats bro for your success. could you please tell me where do i find LSAT CR ?? and again thanks for your advice.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts