Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.64
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: 2 weeks left!! Debrief thus far, need advice, Q42V29/31 [#permalink]
Thanks for the tips. I have the OG 12 and both Quant and Verbal smaller supplemental additions w/ additional practice sets. I was able to review my test in depth last night. Below is an in depth debrief. Please please provide advice on the verbal portion below as I found some additional insights. Thanks for all of your help!

Quant:
I am pretty good with quickly identifying questions that I don't know and need to guess on and move on. I finished the exam with 16 minutes left and scored a 42. This is pretty good news because after reviewing the exam in depth I found that I was making two types of mistakes- about 7 were simple mistakes that can be corrected I think by better allocating my time to quickly recheck. The other 8 were on 600-700/700-800 level questions and were a lack of missing the final computation step to get to the right answer. Please let me know if you have a better suggestion on how not to make stupid mistakes or how to better allocate my time. Regarding the second type of mistakes I was making, I think this can be corrected by continuing to work difficult problem sets.

Verbal:
Timing is still an issue and I think I identified a root cause but still need advice. In reviewing my test in depth, it is clear that unlike Quant where I am able to quickly identify the problems that I should just guess to save time, I am not able to do this quickly with Verbal. For instance, my accuracy for CR 500-600 level questions is 1:45 and 75% correct, but when it comes to the 600-700/700-800 level questions, I am spending sometimes around 2:00-3.00 minutes on them and am only getting 50% correct. The average time spending on wrong questions in this quesetion range is1:50-2:00! If I can quickly identify when to just guess and move on, I can save significant time on these harder questions. My accuracy is also less mainly for the minor question types- Is this something worth focusing on?

Regarding the SC questions, I think I need to revisit verbs/parallelism/comparisons. I also found that I am narrowing the answer choices down to two and picking the wrong one and usually the correct answer at the higher levels depends on minor things like idioms/comparisons etc. I am not that great with idioms but feel like spending time on trying to memorize them is not an effective use of my time. Do you have any suggestions?

Regarding RC, I think I can still improve my speed. Overall, performace for this area is not that bad, but I am terrible with specific detail question types. I think I need to not focus on the actual details but why that detail was placed in the passage to get these right. Is that correct?

For these last two weeks, I wanted to take at least 2-3 more full lenght practice exams, structure my sessions similar to the test doing sets of 37 and 41, and memorize any quant key concepts/formulas & SC rules. Is it time now to cut my losses and practice on questions where my strength lie? Please advise.

Thanks again!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
ebethke wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I have the OG 12 and both Quant and Verbal smaller supplemental additions w/ additional practice sets. I was able to review my test in depth last night. Below is an in depth debrief. Please please provide advice on the verbal portion below as I found some additional insights. Thanks for all of your help!

Quant:
I am pretty good with quickly identifying questions that I don't know and need to guess on and move on. I finished the exam with 16 minutes left and scored a 42. This is pretty good news because after reviewing the exam in depth I found that I was making two types of mistakes- about 7 were simple mistakes that can be corrected I think by better allocating my time to quickly recheck. The other 8 were on 600-700/700-800 level questions and were a lack of missing the final computation step to get to the right answer. Please let me know if you have a better suggestion on how not to make stupid mistakes or how to better allocate my time. Regarding the second type of mistakes I was making, I think this can be corrected by continuing to work difficult problem sets.

Verbal:
Timing is still an issue and I think I identified a root cause but still need advice. In reviewing my test in depth, it is clear that unlike Quant where I am able to quickly identify the problems that I should just guess to save time, I am not able to do this quickly with Verbal. For instance, my accuracy for CR 500-600 level questions is 1:45 and 75% correct, but when it comes to the 600-700/700-800 level questions, I am spending sometimes around 2:00-3.00 minutes on them and am only getting 50% correct. The average time spending on wrong questions in this quesetion range is1:50-2:00! If I can quickly identify when to just guess and move on, I can save significant time on these harder questions. My accuracy is also less mainly for the minor question types- Is this something worth focusing on?

Regarding the SC questions, I think I need to revisit verbs/parallelism/comparisons. I also found that I am narrowing the answer choices down to two and picking the wrong one and usually the correct answer at the higher levels depends on minor things like idioms/comparisons etc. I am not that great with idioms but feel like spending time on trying to memorize them is not an effective use of my time. Do you have any suggestions?

Regarding RC, I think I can still improve my speed. Overall, performace for this area is not that bad, but I am terrible with specific detail question types. I think I need to not focus on the actual details but why that detail was placed in the passage to get these right. Is that correct?

For these last two weeks, I wanted to take at least 2-3 more full lenght practice exams, structure my sessions similar to the test doing sets of 37 and 41, and memorize any quant key concepts/formulas & SC rules. Is it time now to cut my losses and practice on questions where my strength lie? Please advise.

Thanks again!!

Good luck studying for the final push. I really hope that you score very well on the exam, although it is
a very challenging stage to be at the moment.
GMAT Club Bot