Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
Re: Paying more than one deposit [#permalink]
if you have already heard from all your schools, i don't see why you will pay two deposits. applicants usually forfeit deposit when they hear back from a dream school in a later round or after being admitted from WL.

a little more about your situation may help start a healthy discussion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Yes, I find it dumb to pay more than one deposit down if you got in every school you applied for and are deciding one or the other. mostly, such a move is dumb because you're wasting money, but it also prevents and delays the adcom from getting to its waitlist where someone on it really wants to go to that school.

If you put more than one deposit down, it isn't because you put a G down at two places at the same time. It's because you got into school A and school B, but you got into school A but WL'ed at school B. You eventually get into school B and accept that school's offer, but you lose the $ on school A. That's fine and that happens a lot. But otherwise, I would commit only to one school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Sustainability, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
I understand how you feel - I've been accepted to Duke and NYU but waiting from others. I'll choose btwn Duke/NYU within a week as to which one I'll put a deposit with. I can't justify holding a spot at two schools - financially and because it feels more fair.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
SOS1122 wrote:
I understand how you feel - I've been accepted to Duke and NYU but waiting from others. I'll choose btwn Duke/NYU within a week as to which one I'll put a deposit with. I can't justify holding a spot at two schools - financially and because it feels more fair.

I would ask Duke or NYU if they can hold out until your other schools give you a new decision. They probably will be willing to wait.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
I can't imagine either Duke or NYU allowing anybody to delay paying the deposit while that person waits for another school to make a final decision on their application. The deadlines were set in place for a reason, so it's not likely that they will make an exception for anybody. Their yield is going down if the applicant gets into that other school anyway, so they might as well get the deposit in case that happens.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Send PM
threestripes wrote:
I can't imagine either Duke or NYU allowing anybody to delay paying the deposit while that person waits for another school to make a final decision on their application. The deadlines were set in place for a reason, so it's not likely that they will make an exception for anybody. Their yield is going down if the applicant gets into that other school anyway, so they might as well get the deposit in case that happens.

Posted from my mobile device

Considering that Duke and NYU are Top 15 schools, arguably Top 10, I think they may very well be that way. But at the same time, if asked nicely, they may be willing to as well if it's only a week or so. Lower ranked schools obviously are more likely to say yes to this, but I don't know if there's any harm to a polite ask.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Other
GPA: 3.27
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
i'd be completely shocked if any top 25 school extended its response deadline for a single individual without an extremely, extremely good excuse.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Do you mind if I ask, how much the deposit is for each school? If it's like $100, I wouldn't care. But if it's like $2000 or more, then I'd hurry up and make a decision.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
lonesoui wrote:
Do you mind if I ask, how much the deposit is for each school? If it's like $100, I wouldn't care. But if it's like $2000 or more, then I'd hurry up and make a decision.

Most schools it's $1000 to $2000.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
I would decide between NYU or Duke for the deposite while you wait and hear from your remaining schools, I would not pay for both since there is no incentive for you to do so. It will be a great exercise as well to weight the pros and cons of both and narrow down the field now so if you so happen to get a third admit, you will just need to decide between the 1 deposite school and the new admit.

Good luck with your decision, Duke and NYU are great schools!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot