Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: LBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: Strategic help for Gmat preparation [#permalink]
MGMAT SC book is the bible, as they say. Once you complete the book, do as many practice questions as you need. Time yourself as well.

I also highly recommend the GMAT official verbal books. Many practice questions for each area, as well as explanations from GMAC point of view, which is sometimes more clean / straight to the point.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
It's good that your RC is relatively strong.

For SC - it's the easiest section to improve - so that's good news for you. Everybody's learning style is different. Certainly take advantage of the OG guide for practice purposes. And see if these videos are useful for your studies: https://www.gmatpill.com/preview/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
saintaaron wrote:
hi paddyrao,
Thanks for the advice.
As per the planning i had in my mind, MGMAT material was the last thing before the exam, but if the case is as you put it, then i'll revise the plan.
Basics is not my problem, usage is. But it never hurts to go through them so i'll definitely be checking on your suggestions. Please suggest some books focusing on correct usage of the grammar components, modifiers, idioms etc. Also, it be of great help if you could suggest workbooks with large bank of questions.

-A

I have not gone thru lot of workbooks. My study revolved mainly around official sources. Hence, I can only suggest official books.

1. OG 13th Ed
2. You can get Official Verbal Review book
3. You can purchase additional 400 qsns for around $25 dollars.

If you practise with lot of qsns but are not similar to official GMAT qsns, it will not be of much use and thats why I am suggesting officiall qsns.

there are GMAT prep SC and CR question banks. Do not use these untill you take both the GMAT prep as your score in GMAT prep will be too high because you already know the answers. 2 weeks before the exam, you can go thru these qsn banks.

Also, here you can find some workbook and comments about those books
best-verbal-gmat-books-120308.html?fl=menu
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hi paddyrao

thnx for the advice, I've ordered the GMAT books after your suggestion; hopefully, will get them by monday :).

-A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 908 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE:Account Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I have read the MGMAT SC book, however how do you recommend studying from it. Memorizing the rules? How do you guys answer the questions? Do you actually follow everything that is mentioned in the book of identifying every little detail?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi guys,
As suggested above, I got the MGMAT books n hv been studying and practicing them for some time. The results have improved esp. in SC. But the dillusion i had that my RC is good is broken :oops: . When i attempted the hard section, i only answered 70% of them correctly :(.
-A
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So, my exam is on 25th this month and I've finally started with AWA today. I think I usually get most of the points through, but the problem is with the continuation and language. I'll be posting an argument (from OG) daily now and I hope you guys rate it and help me improve.
As always inputs are always welcome.

-A
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The following appeared as part of an annual report sent to stockholders by Olympic Foods, a processor of frozen foods:
"Over time, the costs of processing go down because as organizations learn how to do things better, they become more efficient. In color film processing, for example, the cost of a 3-by-5-inch print fell from 50 cents for five-day service in 1970 to 20 cents for one-day service in 1984. The same principle applies to the processing of food. And since Olympic Foods will soon celebrate its 25th birthday, we can ecpect that our long experience will enable us to minimize costs and thus maximize profits."

The argument states that the costs of processing food goes down over time because as the organizations learn how to do things better, they become more efficient. Then the argument is supported with a comparison of food processing with color film processing where the costs fell over a period of 14 years. This rather seems as an attempt to fool the stockholders by trying to find similarities in two different kinds of processing. The constraints and the variables in the two processes are completely different. For example, extreme care has to taken in regards of hygiene, working atmosphere and the temperature of the food while in film processing the films are to be protected from the light. So, to compare food processing to film processing is appropriate. Additionally, the argument fails the mention the impact of other factors such as advancements in technology and reduced cost of material and machinery over the years which greatly cuts down the cost.
While it is true that with experience most of the processes become more cost-efficient, it takes place over time in a gradual manner. In the last statement it is stated that company expect a reduction of cost on their 25th anniversary. One can infer from this statement that Olympic Foods has not reduced their cost of processing over 25 years. Considering the reduced costs raw materials and advancements in technology as mentioned above, it can be concluded the base processing cost has, in fact, increased over the years for Olympic Foods and thus, the annual report is trying to paint a false picture for the stockholders.

I fell short of what I intended as I lost time in correcting the continuation :( .

-A
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The following appeared in a memorandum from the business department of the Apogee Company:
"when the Apogee Company had all its operations in one location, it was more profitable than it is today. Therefore, the Apogee Company should close down its field offices and conduct all its operations from a single location. Such centralization would improve profitability by cutting costs and helping the company maintain better supervision of ll employees."

The argument states that on localizing its operation, Apogee Company will become more profitable and better supervised. The argument stands illogical as it doesn't consider the type of work the company does. There are multiple industries that work better with field offices and separate branches in different areas such as transportation firms, mail order companies, construction organizations etc. For Example, a construction company will actually increase its operation cost were it to localize its operation as the transportation costs of material, machinery will increase drastically.
Furthermore, on conducting all the operations from one location, the company will loose grasp of huge chunks of their target market which in turn will cut into their revenue and thus into their profit. Any company which wishes to grow usually spreads its business to gain further market share. Also, as the market share increases so does the brand value of the company. On localization, the company may or may not see growth in their local business but they will definitely face a decreased growth of business on a major scale because of the restricted channels of communication.
Additionally, It has been observed in multiple studies that when the employees are heavily supervised they tend to be less innovative. This might hamper the productivity of employees and thus that of the company.
The memorandum shows a shortsightedness on behalf of the business department of the company who fails to see multiple business opportunities and connections that a larger operation area provides and which, in turn, will help the company grow and increase its profit margin.

I've missed a few important points here like the company could be in sustaining phase which fast growing companies usually go through after a growth phase or the fact that profit percentages might have fallen but the volume itself have increased (which usually happens as the company grow). Oh, well...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The following appeared in a report presented for discussion at a meeting of the directors of a company that manufactures parts for heavy machinery:
"The falling revenues that the company is experiencing coincide with delays in manufacturing. These delays, in turn, are due in large part to poor planning in purchasing metals. Consider further that the manager of the department that handles purchasing of raw materials has an excellent background in general business, psychology, and sociology, but knows little about the properties of metals. The company should, therefore, move the purchasing manager to the sales department and bring in a scientist from the research division to be manager of the purchasing department."

The argument states that the company's revenues are falling due to delays in manufacturing which in turn, are due to poor planning in purchasing metals. The report goes on to suggest that the problem could be solved by replacing the current purchasing manager, who is skillful in management but knows little about the properties of metals, with a scientist from the research division. The report's suggestion seems illogical. Firstly, the current manager is the best man available for the job as he has excellent background in general business, psychology and sociology; skills which are required while dealing with people, negotiating with suppliers etc. He's the man who will get them the best prices for the raw material. Since the scientist has no skill in management he wouldn't be able to get the prices right for the material. Secondly, the current manager is best suited to head the department whereas the scientist, with no people skill, will not be able to manage the people under him and the whole department will fall in disarray.
The reason the current manager is unable to deliver in time is because of his lack of knowledge about the properties of material. As such, it takes him more time to find the proper material. The best possible solution is to put the scientist in the department working along with the current manager. This way they compliment each other with the manager bringing his business experience and management skills while the scientist bringing his technical knowledge. Those skills combined together will get the best results within the allotted time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The following appeared in an announcement issued by the publisher of The Mercury, a weekly newspaper:

"Since a competing lower-priced newspaper, The Bugle, was started five years ago, The Mercury's circulation has declined by 10000 readers. The best way to get more people to read The Mercury is to reduce its price below that of The Bugle, at least until circulation increases to former levels. The increased circulation of The Mercury will attract more businesses to buy advertising space in the paper."

The argument states that the sales of The Mercury have declined because of the emergence of a completing lower-priced newspaper, The Bugle. This is an assumption by the publisher which possibly is incorrect. The sales could be down for multiple reasons such as poor quality of articles, or too many advertisements in the newspaper or lack of coverage etc. Such reasons could have forced the readers to find better options. If such is the case, then neither reducing the price nor flooding the newspaper with advertisements will not help the newspaper regain its readership. Instead hiring better editors and reporters as well as finding investors for the newspaper would improve their readership share.
If in case publisher's assumption in correct and The Bugle is indeed the reason for the decline in readership, then the first thing to do is to find if price is the only reason for the reader to switch to the Bugle. If such is the case then the publisher's solution seems reasonable. Also, the newspaper could try to find an investor in which case they wouldn't have to waste space on advertisements. Otherwise, if money is not the only reason then The Mercury have to try and get a upper hand by introducing somethings special. For example, The Bugle might have a very good sports section. The Mercury could compete directly by improving its own sports section or it could take another section, such as business, up a notch.
In conclusion, the publisher should go charging with his extreme suggestion and instead research first why the readers are leaving The Mercury. That way, he stands to make minimal and economical changes but still get the desired result.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts