Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Re: Low GMAT Score for PhD Program, how do I compensate for it? [#permalink]
So, I'll caveat this by saying I am an aspiring applicant like you and I just want to reinforce the idea that these sentiments are educated opinion and not fact. If you took your 48 math score and your 38 verbal, you'd have a 700 total and this will be a non-issue. Unfortunately, I think schools won't take best performance on each part over several attempts. That said, knowing you can achieve the scores needed in each part but need to combine them in the same attempt is more than enough reason to buckle down and retake the GMAT. A 700 total (Q48/V38) puts you in a totally differnet class. I think the other parts of your profile (accounting grad degree, some practical experience, TA exposure) are pretty good but the 660 GMAT will probably close a lot of doors. It's amazing the power that one number can have.

If you are steadfast in your desire not to retake, then based on your 660 breakdown, quant skills will be a concern. If you haven't taken multiple calc courses and linear algebrea, a good start would be enrolling in these in any possible way. Distance learning is probably the most efficient and cost effective way to do this if you are a good self-learner. But any way you can get tangible proof of advanced math competence (community college, distance learning, etc.) will help alleviate concerns about your ability to complete econometrics and other math heavy courses at a doctorate level.

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks,

Actually, I will retake GMAT and hope that I can achieve 700+, but still want to know the backup plan for my low GMAT Score (660)

I have one more question. Does high GPA and name of school compensate a little for my low GMAT score?

Since my 3.85 undergraduate GPA is from Brigham Young University, Provo and my 3.88 graduate GPA is from the Chinese University of Hong Kong, I hope that it will help a little to compensate for my low GPA score.

(Although I think some applicants of course score much higher GPA than I did)

If my GMAT remains the same, and I target for middle tier, well.... what kind of universities are middle tier? like lower than the first 25th or first 40th?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Just opinion but I think high GPA and school prestige do strengthen your application significantly, though they are interpreted differently and may not be a direct offset to the GMAT. The idea being that when an applicant has high GPA's and low GMAT scores, it's natural for an individual to paint the mental picture of someone who obtained great grades through obsessive studying as opposed to natural intelligence (the flip side being Low GPA and High GMAT will spawn images of a smart individual with a questionable work ethic). PhD programs want innovative thinkers so they want the right combo of natural intelligence and work ethic. The more challenging courses you took at the graduate level, the more you can start to dispell this image. Also, I think wriiting a great SOP that shows innovative research ideas can help. But the issue at top schools may be that a 660 is bordering on their initial screen threshold.

As far as what schools qualify as middle tier, I'd define it as schools outside of the concensus top 25 but still high-quality programs with respectable placements. Some examples I'd give are UMass, Pitt, Drexel. These are all schools where the average GMAT is around 670/680 as opposed to say a 720. Depending on your specific interests, you can find great faculty at these schools to work under and learn from.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i think your profile looks good except for the GMAT part. GMAT>750 can make you stand out. Every professor would ask your GMAT at the first place once they heard you are going to apply PhD.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
Due to the fact that some (good)schools have a gmat cut off (>=(680-700)) you should probably retake the exam if you bother to apply to top 20 programs. On the other hand, really good phd programs admitted students who had a "low" gmat score. Keep us informed about your decision!
I personally would advice you to retake the gmat only if you feel that you could do much better ~720.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello I am facing the same problem. I sat my GMAT exam today I received a disappointing 470, my prior score(December 2009) was 560 which allowed me to get into a top ranked school in my specialty (i.e International Business) to pursue my Masters. Eventhough my 560 score does not expire until December 2014 I decided to retake the GMAT with the hopes of upgrading my score and to avoid having to do the new GMAT. I would like to pursue a Phd International Business beginning Fall 2014. I am unsure of whether to sit the exam again as I don't believe standardized test are my thing. I am afraid that my score would drop again. I am hoping that my profile otherwise could help given my GMAT scores. I have proven that despite low GMAT scores I can perform well academically. My profile is as follows:-

Caribbean Native. I was awarded a Fulbright Foreign Student Scholarship to pursue my Masters degree which I completed in 2011.
Undergrad GPA:- 3.67/4.0- Management and International Relations. I was awarded a scholarship by the government of my country to pursue undergraduate studies. This scholarship was based on academic excellence.
Postgraduate GPA:- 3.797/4.0- I graduated with honors and I was inducted into the Beta Gamma Sigma International Honor Society.

I will have about 4yrs work experience by the time I am ready to start my Phd. Part of my work experience involved working in the US on two internships, one with an International Organization and the other with a major Healthcare provider. I have also had consulting experience.

Moreover, I have undertaken a Spanish study abroad in Latin America last year, with the hopes of doing so next year.

Extra-curricular- Charity events(volunteering), Toastmasters member, Swimming and Travelling.

The schools I am interested in are Moore Business School and Rutgers University. It is very difficult to find a school that offers a Phd in International Business tailored to how I want it.

What do you think/recommend I do?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
What is your mathematics background? PhDs in business are research degrees, and by nature rely on economics and statistics with the calculus sequence, linear algebra, and real analysis as preferred courses taken prior to application/entrance.

The GMAT score is going to be a problem, I think, unless you have a killer track record in quant coursework.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey thank you for your response. I have done quite a bit of quantitative courses at both the undergraduate and graduate level. I pursued statistics,mathematics and business economics courses at the undergrad level. At the Masters Level I took courses in Quantitative Methods, Decision Science and International Economics. In each of these courses I have scored either an A or A- grade. As of this week I am 90% sure that I will resit the exam before the new format rolls out. I just don't want to do even worse than 470.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Trini wrote:
Hey thank you for your response. I have done quite a bit of quantitative courses at both the undergraduate and graduate level. I pursued statistics,mathematics and business economics courses at the undergrad level. At the Masters Level I took courses in Quantitative Methods, Decision Science and International Economics. In each of these courses I have scored either an A or A- grade. As of this week I am 90% sure that I will resit the exam before the new format rolls out. I just don't want to do even worse than 470.

How much mathematics, I guess, is one question. The next is, what's your GMAT score split? Something doesn't jive between the As in these math classes and the performance on the GMAT, what is your take on what's happening?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Trini, I definitely understand feeling defeated by the GMAT. Been there...done that. I also understand rushing to take the exam before the format changes but I suggest that you take adequate time to prepare and sit for the exam when you're ready. Your current score, when compared to your academic performance, shows me that you don't have a strong grasp of the current format of the exam so you won't be at a disadvantage by taking the "new" GMAT. Even further, the true meat of the exam, the quantitative and verbal sections which make up the score that matters most to schools, will not change.

I will be 100% honest with you and say that your current highest score is not sufficient enough to be admitted to the PhD program at your target schools. There are international business programs that will accept students with a sub-600 score, but Rutgers and Moore are not them. A test prep course would definitely help you reach your goal but it's not required. At minimum, you should engage in intense self-study and take timed practice exams. Schedule the GMAT once you can consistently hit practice scores in the range of accepted students (Rutgers reports 645 and Moore reports 695). It's better to practice for free than to practice at $250 a pop. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4380 posts