Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
WE:Marketing (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Re: HAAS vs ANDERSON [#permalink]
As and admit and matriculant to the UCLA FEMBA program, I am still advising that you go to HAAS b/c of your future goals. The reasoning being that it is possible to make the weekend commute (many students do it each year from Norcal to Socal or the other way around), and if you truly want to work up north you should start building you network up there as soon as possible. There is no better place to meet people from SF, be recruited at companies in SF, and find a way to work there in the future, then to actually attend a program in SF. You're looking at a 3 hour commute to LA to SD or more depending on traffic every saturday (unless you do the Flex program). It could actually be easier (although more expensive) to fly to SF every weekend.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
My opinion is Haas would open up more doors to you in the Bay Area. Would all of your classes be on a Saturday?

Eug24 wrote:
Hi All, I am having a really hard time deciding, and was hoping to get some outside input. I live and work in San Diego, and got accepted to both the UCLA FEMBA program and the HAAS EWMBA program. I love both schools, and am having a hard time picking one.

UCLA is obviously the much closer and easier commute from SD, and would make life much easier and would allow for more opportunities to spend time with classmates face to face. However, I have interest in working the SF area after my MBA, and HAAS seems to open more doors in the bay area.

I will be commuting either way, any perspective from anyone out there on whats the better program given the option?
Intern
Intern
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
I would echo the same, as I'm targeting these two schools for next year hopefully.

As far as commuting to Haas, I think flying to Oakland then hopping on the BART is the best way to go. I think on the EWMBA site they have a small section on SoCal commuters...

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Both schools are great!! SD to LA commute is easier than SD->SFO + BART commute to Berkeley. If you are going to be in SD throughout the three years of your program, you want to weigh your options based on what you can learn outside the classroom from these two schools. Geographical location will come into play when you consider attending events/programs on campus besides classes on weekends. Also, i have heard that more than half of saturday classes at Haas are offered at a leased out technology center in santa clara and not on campus per se.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Yes, this will be a Saturday only program, with half the classes in the Santa Clara location and half in Berkeley. Despite the longer and more expensive commute I am really starting to consider HAAS. I think it may offer an overall stronger brand and career options post graduation, but still not 100% decided. I am primarily focused on the general management career path, with some interest in management consulting.

Any thoughts on what school offers a stronger general management program, especially in the financial services sector?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
I agree with the above, Hass would match your goals and a weekend flights every other weekend (or every weekend?) is not that bad, you will get used it quick. I fly weekly for work and you get it down to a science. I prefer it actually to having to drive 70+ minutes each way each day.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
I would definitely do Haas since you're in the Saturday only program. Have you checked out the full-time recruiting stats for both schools to see which school does a better job of placing students in the financial services sector? My feeling is the Bay Area has a stronger financial services industry than the LA area, but I think it'd be best if you confirmed my claim with real data.

Eug24 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Yes, this will be a Saturday only program, with half the classes in the Santa Clara location and half in Berkeley. Despite the longer and more expensive commute I am really starting to consider HAAS. I think it may offer an overall stronger brand and career options post graduation, but still not 100% decided. I am primarily focused on the general management career path, with some interest in management consulting.

Any thoughts on what school offers a stronger general management program, especially in the financial services sector?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
HAAS if you want to be in the bay area in the long run... the commute to LA would actually be longer than flying to SFO and back....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What do you all think of the FEMBA flex program? Is taking classss online and being on campus once a month a bad idea and would I miss out on the experience? Seems like the flex is a really easy option being from SD, but I really don't know what to expect from a quality of experience standpoint. Trying to weigh that against flying to Berkeley every Saturday to attend the HAAS program.

The consensus seems to be go to HAAS its not much worse to fly than to drive to la. How about flying to HaAS vs the FEMBA flex?

Really struggling with these options. And whether the extra effort, time, and money is worth getting a hAAS MBA??

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
While Anderson has a fantastic program, I feel you lose a lot of the learning and networking opportunities that you gain from meeting with your classmates on a regular basis. As such, I'd prefer to attend class every week in a more traditional program.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
MBADreamzzz wrote:
HAAS if you want to be in the bay area in the long run... the commute to LA would actually be longer than flying to SFO and back....

+1
San Diego to LA commute will be a lot longer especially on weekends.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
plus not to mention that you will be pretty tired after the commute
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GZR4DR wrote:
While Anderson has a fantastic program, I feel you lose a lot of the learning and networking opportunities that you gain from meeting with your classmates on a regular basis. As such, I'd prefer to attend class every week in a more traditional program.

Between UCLA & HAAS, considering your situation that you live in Southern California, I personally would consider Anderson because it's quite equally ranked and it's local. Which will allow you to develop network locally.. I don't think companies prefer HAAS over Anderon when it comes to post graduation Job search.. They both are equally valued.
Looking at all posts, It's somewhat tough decision though. Good luck..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Sfbay2012 wrote:
[ I don't think companies prefer HAAS over Anderon when it comes to post graduation Job search.. They both are equally valued.

Thats a little surprising because I thought that Haas was higher ranked than UCLA...but that was for full time MBA.
Is there a separate rankings list for part time/executive MBA programs ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
Zynga wrote:
Sfbay2012 wrote:
[ I don't think companies prefer HAAS over Anderon when it comes to post graduation Job search.. They both are equally valued.

Thats a little surprising because I thought that Haas was higher ranked than UCLA...but that was for full time MBA.
Is there a separate rankings list for part time/executive MBA programs ?

For the part-time programs, US News ranks Haas #2 and Anderson #5. While the average GMAT score and acceptance rate will be more competitive at Haas, the quality of the education will be similar. I think location and the type of work one wants to get into plays a bigger role when determining which school to attend.

You can find the part-time rankings here - https://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... e-rankings
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks everyone for your thought I think I will be going with HAAS. I am interested in management consulting, and as both schools are great, I think there is stronger recruitment at HAAS. Also, I think where you build a network is key. As I live in southern Californi now, I prefer to have a long term network in SF vs LA, and the commute of flying up north is only marginally longer than driving to la from SD.

As I think I may be missing out on the short term convinience and support network of local SD commuters to Anderson, I think HAAS would provide a longer term value in both reputation and alumni network.

It was a tough decision, and I am still partially unsure and nervous. Hope I'm making a good decision.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Good luck. How much time were you given to accept your HAAS admission? What other documents do you have to submit (deposit, additional material etc)?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts