Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V44
GPA: 3.61
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink]
PC ultrabooks and Windows7 have really come a long way, making user experience as pleasant as using a mac. The new ultrabooks coming out this summer will catch up in terms of battery life, power use, portability.

If you're buying a mac, you're paying for the customer service and fit/finish/built of a mac. Which is outstanding compared to PC IMO.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Other
GPA: 3.27
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
I have to agree with Guy. I use windows 7 and office 2011 at work now, and it's much closer (and not coincidentally, much similar) to my Mac.

I would say at this point, a lot of the benefit from the mac relates to the "technosphere" Macs create when you also have an iphone, ipad, etc. I think this, along with the ease of use, are the reasons I'll wind up with a Mac.

If I had an Android phone and a kindle fire, I'd probably just grab a mid-level Toshiba or Lenovo.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
I am an avid Mac user but think I will be getting a moderately priced PC for my MBA needs. I currently work in finance and use a PC at work and a Mac at home. I've tried to use my Mac's Excel at home and get frustrated when I try using it since I'm used to my PC shortcuts.

As for PC brands, my coworker pointed out this SquareTrade research piece out to me. Seems like a reliable source since they need to determine how much to charge when insuring these different brands.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GPA: 3.98
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I will be getting a new mac and use plan to bootcamp for heavy excel. I've actually never owned a PC and can't stand my work laptop...
MBA Prep School President & Co-Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Have used Excel for financial modeling extensively in my career and can assure you that the Excel version included in Office 2011 for Mac is NOT remotely similar for advanced uses to the Windows/PC version. The keyboard shortcuts are completely different and although it supports Visual Basic for Excel, many of the code modules that you can download online and/or will be provided by the school will only work on the PC version of Excel. That said, I use a MacBook Pro for almost everything else and believe that dual boot into Windows with the WIndows version of Excel should work fine.

Hope that helps!

Cheers, Chris
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
MrTunes wrote:
Has anyone worked extensively with the 2011 version of office for macs? My boss uses it at work and it seems to have closed the gap on the windows version considerably, at least at first glance.

If anyone's used the software for higher end excel use, I think it'd be beneficial for many of us to hear your thoughts!

Posted from my mobile device

I too am an avid apple fan. I use a Mac at home, and a PC at work. I do quite a bit of financial modeling (VC for the past 2 years).
Unfortunately, Office for Mac 2011 simply isn't the same as Office for Windows.
However, I plan to keep using a Mac during my MBA and switching to Windows (dual boot) whenever some serious Excel work is needed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
My mac is from Jan 2010... so it'll be close to 2.5 years old... anyone planning to use a mac that is this old? I'm wondering if it it will hold up if I add the extra programs. It already lags from time to time. :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
clouds2012 wrote:
My mac is from Jan 2010... so it'll be close to 2.5 years old... anyone planning to use a mac that is this old? I'm wondering if it it will hold up if I add the extra programs. It already lags from time to time. :(

Mine is from October 2008, and it holds up ok since I added ram in it, I'm planning to start with it until apple updates its line (except if they do it soon)
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Other
GPA: 3.27
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
I'm of the opinion that if I'm already taking out 100-150k of debt for my MBA, I might as well treat myself to a nice MacBook laptop.

Just my 2 cents
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
Send PM
MrTunes wrote:
I'm of the opinion that if I'm already taking out 100-150k of debt for my MBA, I might as well treat myself to a nice MacBook laptop.

Just my 2 cents

+1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2013
Send PM
Current Kellogg student here.

If you're in finance, you need to get a windows laptop.

If you aren't, you need to have some type of windows on your mac(dual boot). Its not the fact that office works well on a mac or not, we have a lot of third party excel addons (off the top of my head i've used palisade suite and factset) for classes that do not work.

I have a lot of professors that use macs, however they all have dual boot or VM options just because of this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM