Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V48
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: How much do/did you spend in business school? [#permalink]
Also, most school budget estimates are only for ~9 months. So even with a 10 week internship at $1,500/week, you'll still have to throw down additional cash for rent and other expenses for those months not included in the budget.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Get comfortable with the idea of student loan payments that are equal to a mortgage payment for the next 5-10 years.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
MDF wrote:
Also, most school budget estimates are only for ~9 months. So even with a 10 week internship at $1,500/week, you'll still have to throw down additional cash for rent and other expenses for those months not included in the budget.

Every school's budget is only 9 months unless it's a 1 year program or other program when summer classes are taken like a part time MBA.

I don't think the schools are underestimating their budgets if students live and spend wisely. However unlike many other grad programs, MBA students have been used to an income and for the most part spend more money than a grad student who just got in straight from college, assuming he or she wasn't a spendthrift either.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
Send PM
Varies.

Had a friend who recently graduated from Booth and he spent on average of around $2,500/month because he wanted a nice pad and was very social.

An associate at the firm who started last fall was at Wharton and managed to only spend around $1250/month. He said he spent around $600/month on rent which is what I paid as student in dorms.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
JayJay00 wrote:
Varies.

Had a friend who recently graduated from Booth and he spent on average of around $2,500/month because he wanted a nice pad and was very social.

An associate at the firm who started last fall was at Wharton and managed to only spend around $1250/month. He said he spent around $600/month on rent which is what I paid as student in dorms.

Health insurance cost for a family of 3 is ~$800 to do it through the university. I can easily see my family spending way more than $2500/month even without any social activity...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
JayJay00 wrote:
Varies.

Does the $2,500 include rent?

Booth's recommended living expense budget is more than $2,500/month. ($1,500 rent/utilities, $600 food, $333 personal, $150 transportation).

I think it will be hard to spend less than $2,600-700/month if you're living in the loop without a roommate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
Send PM
MDF wrote:
JayJay00 wrote:
Varies.

Does the $2,500 include rent?

Booth's recommended living expense budget is more than $2,500/month. ($1,500 rent/utilities, $600 food, $333 personal, $150 transportation).

I think it will be hard to spend less than $2,600-700/month if you're living in the loop without a roommate.

That should have read $3,500. I was thinking in pounds but used the wrong symbol. He lived by himself in a studio apartment since he was single and wasn't the roommate type.

I would assume one could easily make it by on $1,500-2000 with a roommate?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
JayJay00 wrote:

That should have read $3,500. I was thinking in pounds but used the wrong symbol. He lived by himself in a studio apartment since he was single and wasn't the roommate type.

I would assume one could easily make it by on $1,500-2000 with a roommate?

It probably depends on the city and where you live. I think $1,500/month in Chicago would be difficult to get by on even with a couple roommates.

If you consider Booth's estimated living expense budget, which is about $2,600/month, and you reduce your rent/utilities to $900/month by having a roommate, you're still at $2,000/month. And not only are these numbers very conservative, they don't include things like travel, career treks, student clubs, etc.

I have a 1bdrm in the loop and I've put together a budget of about $3,000/month. When I add that $3K/month to all of the extra stuff (career treks, travel, etc.), my spending for 2 years is roughly 9% over Booth's recommended budget. The numbers in my budget are pretty generous. I think that's the max I'll spend and hopefully I'll come in under budget in the end.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Kudos
I just finished and spent about $130K. That's about July - now.

I religiously tracked my spending and can tell you that a "light" month was about $1500 (including rent w/ a roommate). I usually didn't end up over $2000 a month. I continue to track my budget closely and can also tell you that my expenses are noticeably higher though I don't spend much differently (ie prices have gone up quite a bit in the last couple of years), so I would expect that alone to add $100 a month.

To put it in perspective, I am probably on the low end of the spectrum spending-wise and did not travel much at all.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
highhopes’ handle should be highroller ;-) I looked back at my spending while in Durham, including rent, utilities, gas, food, my spend was averaging ~$700/month.

I think Durham is an inexpensive city. I had a 2 bedroom to myself for $425/month (it was consider far from campus by Durham standard, but was only 4.5 miles away). Durham’s weather is very temperate; my average utility bill is ~$25/month, since I don’t need A/C and only a space heater occasionally in the winter months. My cellphone has wifi hotspot, so saved internet fee. Biked to school, so I filled up once every 1.5-2 months and didn’t get the MBA 15 weight gain. There’s so much free food from club and recruiting activities, my dinner, sometimes lunch, was usually covered. I enjoyed cooking, so brought lunch to school. Even had some extra money to go out to dinner with friends weekly.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Bah, I think asimov is just a social hermit. In all seriousness, that is a pretty tight budget. Think about if you only spend $20 a week on groceries and you eat out a couple of times in a week. That's $200 on just food.

By way of comparison, my rent + utilities were about $700-750, so there tends to be wide variety in those types of expenses.

Also, between insurance and gas, I probably spent almost $150 a month, so if you don't need a car and can possibly park it and not insure it, that might be another expense saved.

It seems like small stuff, but now I'm jealous that asimov is now richer than me by about $20,000. :-D

Bottom line: Take your current monthly expenses and judge how your behaviors will change in B-school and you'll get a pretty decent estimate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
For those of you who went above the school's recommended budget, where did the extra money/loans come from? I'm comfortable living on a budget, but knowing that additional expenses are bound to crop up, I'm concerned about being able to make ends meet if I'm restricted to only borrowing up to the cost of attendance (and I don't want to leave school drowning in credit card debt!)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Send PM
Living in Boston, I took out the max Stafford Loans plus whatever the school budgeted. I almost ran out of money my first semester. It's a tight budget at most schools unless you're working an academic year internship or had a bunch of money saved. I ended up working an academic internship making ~$1,500/month and that helped a lot. Without it, I would have been living like a pauper (this is with a roommate).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Academic service that focuses on the training of content appropriate to companies or company services. Business institutions usually provide a wide range of different company applications, which a person will select based on the area that the student would like to are dedicated to once he or she graduate students. Business institutions may function as a certain enterprise or may be available within another university.

cbse schools in jaipur | cbse school jaipur | top schools in jaipur
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
i have not count it, but so many money...
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
I would say the estimates tend to come out lower. While business school can certainly be even more expensive when you include all the side trips and evenings out, remember you don't have to do all of those things. It can be tempting to keep up with the joneses, but it becomes very expensive. And you might think it's no big deal because you have student loans to cover it all, but that eventually catches up to you when you graduate with more than 100k in debt!
GMAT Club Bot