Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 2.7
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Yet another success story:

Applied and got dings from: LBS, Kellogg, Haas
Applied and matriculating: Cornell Johnson

Undergrad GPA: 2.7 from top 10 school in Computer Science. No trend, grades were all over the place.
GMAT: 710 GMAT
Experience: Software Engineer -> Technical Program Manager
WE: 5.5 years

Other:
- Some sports activities (different martial arts & running), usually 1 yr long involvement at a time, so no senior/leadership positions there.
- Provided temporary help to new immigrants in need. Did not use any organization - usually found them through friends. Shared home with them, helped find housing arrangements, purchased food, helped them to find work.
- A year into work started taking business classes at a local community college: 2 accounting classes, business stats, and microeconomics. This took me about a year. Then transferred to the local private university and completed Post Baccalureate Certificate of Studies in Business Administration. This took me 2 years, I had to take 11 classes and got 3.78 GPA.

Applied only in R1.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GPA: 3.67
WE:Information Technology (Education)
Send PM
anyone here with a low gpa AND low gmat and still got in on the strength of their essays/recs/we/xc?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Send PM
Diablo wrote:
anyone here with a low gpa AND low gmat and still got in on the strength of their essays/recs/we/xc?

Diablo, I think I qualify as a low GPA and low GMAT applicant. Click on the link to access the Third Quadrant Applicant thread for more info.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
WE:Editorial and Writing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I have a 2.9 UG GPA from a top 5 liberal arts school (where during the year, I was a senior editor on the newspaper and pretty involved in extracurriculars) and a 3.7 from summer classes taken at a top state school. I have 4 years of progressive experience working in defense, which sounds very impressive when I write out my job description. I'm currently a manager (one of the youngest in the agency). I'm taking the GMAT soon, but based on my prep tests, it looks like I'm going to get around a 700-710. Do I have a shot at the top 20?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Send PM
sonjeroo wrote:
I have a 2.9 UG GPA from a top 5 liberal arts school (where during the year, I was a senior editor on the newspaper and pretty involved in extracurriculars) and a 3.7 from summer classes taken at a top state school. I have 4 years of progressive experience working in defense, which sounds very impressive when I write out my job description. I'm currently a manager (one of the youngest in the agency). I'm taking the GMAT soon, but based on my prep tests, it looks like I'm going to get around a 700-710. Do I have a shot at the top 20?

Compelling essays, recommendation letters and resume will give you a chance to get accepted to top 10 schools even with a low GPA and median GMAT. However, I would suggest that you focus first on the GMAT before you even start thinking about the next steps.

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
threestripes wrote:
sonjeroo wrote:

Compelling essays, recommendation letters and resume will give you a chance to get accepted to top 10 schools even with a low GPA and median GMAT. However, I would suggest that you focus first on the GMAT before you even start thinking about the next steps.

Take his advice. Take the GMAT, know your story, and tell it really well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 2.87
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi,
Sonjeroo, you definitely have ashot at top 20. Definitely knock out that 700 as it will go a long way to showing you are ready for b-school and take some focus off of your GPA.

My profile:

2.83 GPA at Top 5 liberal arts college with no clear pattern in performance
Economics major
710 GMAT (over 40 in both sections, 6.0 AWA)
5 years WE in finance (worked way up from operations desk at custodian bank to investor services at large hedge fund)
Other: played top level competitive ultimate frisbee for many years, child mentor, honestly not as many extracurriculars as one would be expected to have, however I had a strong story.

I once moved cross country with no job and ended up with nothing when the financial crisis hit. I ended up moving abroad and studying in a language program and starting my own educational consulting business for a year while trying to figure out what went wrong and what i wanted next. The business didnt quite pan out and once my visa expired, I came back to the US and really focused myself on my passion for finance and worked my way to one of the largest hedge funds. I've learned a lot about myself through all of this and was able to translate that story to reflect my future goals.

The key is definitely going to be your unique story. Know yourself, good and bad, and understand how to translate your past experiences into what you want to be in the future. Don't try to make excuses or explain away what's happened but show how you've reflected on the big experiences of your life and apply it to your future goals.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Real Estate
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Bookmarks
24 y/o white male from Northeast US. 3.08 GPA in finance from small private university. 750 GMAT. 3 years work exp in real estate.

Columbia - ding w/ interview
Yale - ding w/o interview
Tuck - w/l
Kellogg - accepted & matriculating

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
~3 liberal arts major, got into my dream school - Chicago Booth!

I do have a stellar gmat score though, including a perfect Q51
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Send PM
Kudos