Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Guess when running out of time? [#permalink]
Thank you, GMATLA and tcepic. I'll read about and try out timing strategies and guess when necessary.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
First of all NEVER ever leave a question unanswered .

Secondly don't ever take more than 3 minutes on a quant question . If you've crossed the 3 minute threshold just make an educated guess and move on . No question is worth more than 3 minutes ! This is a very basic strategy but hard to implement because it's difficult to "give up" on a question and admit defeat . But the GMAT is all about choosing your battles carefully !

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
honsmos wrote:
Hello. I was hoping to hear what your thoughts are on the following subject.

I usually run out of time when completing the quantitative section. I usually have five to ten unanswered questions. In such a situation, will my score be higher if I guess on the unanswered questions or if I just let time run out?

Like everyone said, you MUST answer EVERY QUESTION or you lose many points. You are better off guessing randomly on five questions than not answering them at all like you would have in the SAT for college entrance exams.

Don't take more than three minutes on any question like another guy wrote above. This test is hard for everyone because it will hit everyone's limits. Your study must focus on learning new concepts and also learning how to solve those problems as quickly and as efficiently as possible.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the great advice george and nova. For all the practice tests I've taken, I've occasionally spent more than 3 minutes on a question. I'm one of those "hate giving up" guys. But from now on I'll, take an educated guess at the three-minute mark and keep improving.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Send PM
Ideally , you should'nt go upto to the 3 minute mark on more than 3-4 questions . Also it is more advisable to take "educated guesses" on Data Sufficiency questions rather than Problem Solving questions

On the verbal side , it's more difficult to allocate time . The best candidates for guesses on the verbal section are Bold Face CR Questions , Evaluate the argument , mimic the reasoning and those dreaded "Except" questions . I feel you should never skip a SC or RC question . Another interesting tip ( note : use this only when you are very desperately short on time - Answers (D) and (E) have a higher probability of being right on SC questions in which the full sentence is underlined).

Good luck with your prep !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got it.

I tend to do quite well on the verbal. I think it's 'cause I read a ton of sports and video game articles each day, lol. I've gotten 4-6 questions wrong on the verbal section of my four GMAT Prep tests. And I usually finish 15 minutes early (need to slow down).

But I struggle with math. I feel like I've made a lot of improvement over the last 2 years of studying (!), but I'm still getting about 10+ questions wrong. I scored a 730, 720, 740 and 740 on my practice tests (I recognized a good number of questions on my last two practices).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
georgepaul0071987 wrote:
Ideally , you should'nt go upto to the 3 minute mark on more than 3-4 questions . Also it is more advisable to take "educated guesses" on Data Sufficiency questions rather than Problem Solving questions

On the verbal side , it's more difficult to allocate time . The best candidates for guesses on the verbal section are Bold Face CR Questions , Evaluate the argument , mimic the reasoning and those dreaded "Except" questions . I feel you should never skip a SC or RC question . Another interesting tip ( note : use this only when you are very desperately short on time - Answers (D) and (E) have a higher probability of being right on SC questions in which the full sentence is underlined).

Good luck with your prep !

I actually liked the EXCEPT questions on CR. For me it was playing the odd man out game.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Send PM
honsmos wrote:
Got it.

I tend to do quite well on the verbal. I think it's 'cause I read a ton of sports and video game articles each day, lol. I've gotten 4-6 questions wrong on the verbal section of my four GMAT Prep tests. And I usually finish 15 minutes early (need to slow down).

But I struggle with math. I feel like I've made a lot of improvement over the last 2 years of studying (!), but I'm still getting about 10+ questions wrong. I scored a 730, 720, 740 and 740 on my practice tests (I recognized a good number of questions on my last two practices).

For many native English speakers, the full 75 minutes isn't necessary. I probably finished my exam with 15 minutes to spare as well. Perhaps slowing down may have improved my score a little, but at a certain point, if you feel good about a certain question you feel good about that question.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ah. I agree about feeling good about a question. I'll try slowing down on my next practice test.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Wow ! I can't believe you guys finish the verbal section with 15 mins to spare ! In my MGMAT tests , I've scored well I'm verbal , but I almost always have to simply guess the last 2-3 questions because I run out of time

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think I subconsciously push myself to finish the verbal fast. It's always been the last section on my practice tests, and I start feeling mentally tired when I get to it. But I do struggle with the quantitative section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Verbal section is like a roler coaster ride for me. Sometime in between I slow down and when I see the time passing by very fast, I rush through it but in the end I finish it before 5 minutes.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
honsmos wrote:
I think I subconsciously push myself to finish the verbal fast. It's always been the last section on my practice tests, and I start feeling mentally tired when I get to it. But I do struggle with the quantitative section.

I'm curious to know , how much time do you take on each question type for the verbal section ( RC,cr,sc) ?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@ clubgmat, Ah.
@ george, I have never timed myself. Since I usually finish 15 minutes early, on average I spend a bit less than a minute and a half (60 minutes/41 questions = 1.46).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Forgot to mention, I usually recognize about five questions on the practice GMATs, and I have a pretty good memory. That's probably a big reason why I've been finishing early.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Contrary opinion here:

The above post says it doesnt matter if you leave a question blank and let time run out or guess and complete the test.

Experts please comment.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Contrary opinion here:

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/guessing-a ... -the-gmat/

The above post says it doesnt matter if you leave a question blank and let time run out or guess and complete the test.

Experts please comment.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2