Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.27
WE:Other (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink]
trail wrote:
Kudos to emont for your thoughts.

I'm not eligible for Yellow Ribbon, but I agree, if a military candidate is eligible, that's fantastic. I qualify for about 60%, and no, I have yet to verify with any current students if the whole public school = full ride is legit. However, my local ed dept tells me it's real, and the updated GI Bill website seems to validate it several times over.

The difference, in my case with 60% eligibility, is about $39K total. I combine that with a full-ride merit scholarship I received from, let's say, UCLA, and well, that's too big to pass up for anything but HSW, at least for me. I respect the idea of getting into the best school possible, but I'm personally not trying to take over the world after my MBA... I just want an interesting, decently paying job, plenty of time for my family and (maybe) enough money left in the bank to put a down deposit on a house post-MBA.

I'm mainly posting this to see if I'm an outlier or not (and please tell me if I'm off the mark) and to suggest that other folks consider this issue as well. I was deadset on a couple schools, but the financial aid offers I received changed everything. They forced me to reevaluate my decision process and left me regretting that I did not apply to more public schools where the GI Bill is generally stronger and one's chances of receiving a merit-based scholarship are higher than at most top ten schools.

Spent some time with the Armed Forces Association at Ross this last weekend and got some great info regarding the GI Bill (at least how it worked this past year).

You are correct that Public School + GI Bill = Full Ride (or 40% in my case)

I spoke with three students who were btw 40%-60% eligible and they each received 40%-60% of full tuition.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Darden '12
Send PM
Hey guys,
I'm glad to see that gmatclub Mil thread is still alive and kicking. I used this gmat club a TON when I was preparing for the GMAT and trying to figure out which schools to apply to.

Last year, I poked my head in on the 2011 thread to help out and helped a couple dudes out who are now here at Darden. After that experience of going through the GMATclub and helping dudes out, I wanted to see if there was a way that I can continue giving back after I graduate next month.

So at school, a group of Darden students and I are working on a project, working with Fidelis, and starting a blog to have a place where vets can go read some pretty FAQs with actual people that went through it and actual real school administrators.

Most of the time, vets are at a disadvantage because unlike others who are applying for the MBA program, they have co-workers and bosses that have their MBA which they can tap for questions and perspectives. Military vets who are on active don't have that. So what we're trying to do is gather the questions you want to ask or wished you could ask from other military veterans. We're also going to have posts from school faculty and administrators to provide some no sh!t answers to clear through the clutter of disinformation.

Come check us out. https://www.militarymbavoices.com If you have any questions, feel free to PM or comment on the blog!

Semper Fi bros. If you're here at Darden for Darden Days today, make sure you hit me up as well!

Originally posted by lakai777 on 20 Apr 2012, 14:03.
Last edited by lakai777 on 23 Apr 2012, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
m990540 wrote:
Did anyone use an admissions consultant? I'm likely applying next Fall and am curious to hear if they helped folks out and were worth the price.

I've started working with the MilitarytoBusiness folks and they have been good so far. I tried applying with no real GMAT prep and without a consultant last year. You can see the results with all the red under my username on the left. I contacted MtB for a Ding Analysis and the Long Term Strategy session and thought they were both very helpful. I can't speak for the application portion yet obviously but I do plan on using them this summer/fall when I re-apply.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I know this is a bit early (but it is when I began my MBA journey) and this is geared toward 2013 applicants. If there are any military out there interested in Wharton (or really any school for that matter) feel free to send me a PM.

I applied to HBS (Waitlisted)/Wharton and got into Wharton with a fellowship (which is where I will be attending this fall). I was also in the midst of applying to Columbia/Sloan but once I got into Wharton, I put a hold on everything else (e.g I burned out). I'm currently an O-3 in the Army and have about 3 more months left, my job is fairly relaxed as we got back from deployment less than a year ago. If any of you have questions about Releasing from Active Duty, The G.I. Bill, VA Benefits, the GMAT, schools, anything!; I spent a long time researching, so I could hopefully make it much easier for you.

Just shoot me a PM, and I can give you my personal e-mail or phone number.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Thanks- just visited Wharton a couple weeks ago and loved it. Would love to connect with some current students. I will definitely shoot you a PM.

Zarthul wrote:
I know this is a bit early (but it is when I began my MBA journey) and this is geared toward 2013 applicants. If there are any military out there interested in Wharton (or really any school for that matter) feel free to send me a PM.

I applied to HBS (Waitlisted)/Wharton and got into Wharton with a fellowship (which is where I will be attending this fall). I was also in the midst of applying to Columbia/Sloan but once I got into Wharton, I put a hold on everything else (e.g I burned out). I'm currently an O-3 in the Army and have about 3 more months left, my job is fairly relaxed as we got back from deployment less than a year ago. If any of you have questions about Releasing from Active Duty, The G.I. Bill, VA Benefits, the GMAT, schools, anything!; I spent a long time researching, so I could hopefully make it much easier for you.

Just shoot me a PM, and I can give you my personal e-mail or phone number.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Quick question about dual degrees in regards to the GI Bill. For example a JD/MBA from the same school, or a join degree program such as an MBA/MPP from two different schools. Does the GI bill get used for both schools, therefore in one academic year, I've burned up twice my amount due to two tuitions, or not? If it is the former, would it be wise financially to just go with one degree? If anyone has anyone experience or is going through the same thing, I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
This is just a single data point, but when I spoke with the admissions staff at Northwestern's JD/MBA program a few years back, they stated the GI Bill is only used for one school (i.e. you do not get double Yellow Ribbon program benefits).

I'm honestly not sure how it would work for a joint degree program between two different schools.

lonesoui wrote:
Quick question about dual degrees in regards to the GI Bill. For example a JD/MBA from the same school, or a join degree program such as an MBA/MPP from two different schools. Does the GI bill get used for both schools, therefore in one academic year, I've burned up twice my amount due to two tuitions, or not? If it is the former, would it be wise financially to just go with one degree? If anyone has anyone experience or is going through the same thing, I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Interesting. So essentially, a dual degree from the same school, you're getting a "buy one, get one free" deal?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Potentially, but certainly not the case at all schools. Northwestern's JD/MBA program is structured such that you pay about $10,000 to $20,000 extra per year for the additional degree.

lonesoui wrote:
Interesting. So essentially, a dual degree from the same school, you're getting a "buy one, get one free" deal?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Does anyone know if this is legit/useful?

GMAT reimbursement for military applicants.
https://www.military.com/education/times ... ement.html
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
bb wrote:
Does anyone know if this is legit/useful?

GMAT reimbursement for military applicants.
https://www.military.com/education/times ... ement.html

Yep, it's for real. I can't remember exactly who I sent the receipt to, but it was some office within the VA that handles education claims.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
I sent mine in but never got reimbursed. Followed up a couple times but didn't get the money back. Once applications started I got so swept up in those that I never ended up with the time to see it through. The process definitely exists though.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GPA: 3.9
Send PM

Originally posted by snapcracklepop on 21 May 2012, 08:13.
Last edited by snapcracklepop on 17 Nov 2012, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategic Management and Finance
Schools:Wharton Class of 2013
GMAT 2: 700
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Send PM
vets check this out, i am working on this and would like to know what you think:
https://www.linkedin.com/veterans
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
I just started the Johnson AMBA (accel. MBA) this month, will be done next May.
If any of you have another grad degree or are interested in a concurrent grad degree along with the MBA, feel free to PM me with any questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Halloo Vets,
How did you guys answer “why MBA” question? I know I want to earn the MBA but I’m having trouble articulating my thoughts.
Primedomain
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Hey Guys,

I am a USNA grad ('07) and former Surface Warfare Officer. I am currently in my first year at Ross.

On December 1st, Ross will be hosting a Military Preview Session for interested candidates.

Here are a few items of note regarding Ross and your GI Bill benefits:

Yellow Ribbon - Unlimited for all qualified candidates
Michigan is a state school - If you are not 100% eligible for your GI Bill, you will receive a percentage of the FULL tuition (40% of $55K)

In addition to the GI Bill benefits, Ross is a phenomenal program and very military friendly. Below is the official request from our admissions team.

"This is a reminder that the Ross School of Business is holding a special Military Preview Session on December 1, 2012. During the session, you will learn about the transition to business school and post-MBA career paths from the perspective of our military students and alumni. You will also hear from one of our senior leadership faculty, Noel Tichy, and veteran executives from Proctor & Gamble, Ford, and IBM. There will be a short session about the financial aid resources available to military students, and members of the Ross Armed Forces Association will join us for lunch. In the afternoon, there will be an opportunity to take a guided tour of Ross and the University of Michigan campus. We hope you can join us."

You can register for the event here: https://www.bus.umich.edu/Conferences/Mi ... ister.aspx

If you have any questions regarding the event or Ross in general, please feel free to reach out to me.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14