Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: B Schools for Finance [#permalink]
Tuck, Ross, Anderson (especially on the West Coast) are also good spots for finance.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Finance is a major part of the economy and therefore you'll probably find that most of the top schools have fairly strong finance programs. Although some are certainly better than others, finance isn't exactly some unique specialty that only a handful of programs offer.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
moss..i understand that ... that's why my question mentioned 'particularly risk management' ..Now Stern has a program dedicated to risk management ..so it implies that they would have pretty solid curriculum structure for the mba program too.So I was expecting something on these lines
Also I would also want to know a list of safety finance schools..all the schools mentioned here are quite competitive!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
rni wrote:
moss..i understand that ... that's why my question mentioned 'particularly risk management' ..Now Stern has a program dedicated to risk management ..so it implies that they would have pretty solid curriculum structure for the mba program too.So I was expecting something on these lines
Also I would also want to know a list of safety finance schools..all the schools mentioned here are quite competitive!

I've heard good things about Simon's finance program. That may be one you want to research.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Not a business school or MBA program, but the London School of Economics has a master's program specifically dedicated to "Management and Regulation of Risk". You might want to check it out if risk management is what you want to do, since I'm not sure if that's a big feeder function out of a traditional MBA necessarily: https://www2.lse.ac.uk/finance/prospecti ... /Home.aspx
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
rni wrote:

Stern is pretty unique in its focus on risk management. Stern happens to have a Nobel Prize winning professor who focuses on that area. His counterpart I believe works at San Diego State, so maybe they have something similar. So while Stern would certainly be a good choice, aside from that unique situation the fact is that most finance curricula are going to be very similar, and few MBA curricula are going to have much focus on risk management. If you're very focused you can usually take extra math classes outside the business school. Some schools, including NYU and Columbia, have finance-related courses in the math department. And no matter where you go you can sit for the FRM.

You may want to consider a Master of Finance degree (or mathematical finance or financial engineering). They place a lot of alumni in risk management and have the added benefit of being one year programs (and therefore half the cost), but they typically have stricter quantitative entrance requirements- in general you have to have at least differential equations on your transcript.

Aside from Stern, some less competitive schools that you will probably want to consider are Fordham and Baruch which have the benefit of being in New York City. In fact, even if you go to Harvard or Wharton, not many risk management jobs are going to be recruited on campus, so these might actually be preferable options for you due to their cost and location. But before you apply I'd suggest strongly considering whether you really need an MBA to achieve your goals or if a masters degree and/or FRM would suffice.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks for the useful comments.

MBA is a more traditional degree and may have a better reach than mfe/m fin courses. Having said that I am actually weighing all options. So, an MFE/M Fin from a prestigious school may have more long term benefits than MBA from a lower rung institution and vice versa.

As long as FRM is concerned, I feel that it is a good to have certi but definitely cannot be compared with a MFE/MBA/M Fin.
AND there is the never ending debate of FRM vs PRM . Apparently many top b schools - stern,duke,HKUST are PRMIA partners .. and PRMIA also has ethical superiority over GARP .. however, FRM is obviously the more popular and many schools like Haas recommend that before joining its MFE course (have not mentioned PRM anywhere)
GMAT Club Bot