Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:45 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6116 [34]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: A poor farmer was fond of telling his children: “In this world, you ar [#permalink]
Bookmarks
It will be clear if you draw a venn diagram.
Answer is A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Send PM
Re: A poor farmer was fond of telling his children: “In this world, you ar [#permalink]
Experts can you help in determining how other answers are wrong?

I got confused by the wording of the answers and ended up choosing C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 1036
Send PM
Nightmare007 wrote:
It will be clear if you draw a venn diagram.
Answer is A

Can you please clarify how you draw a venn diagram in this scenario?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
Pls help i could not solve this question
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [2]
Given Kudos: 222
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
komalpatna wrote:
Pls help i could not solve this question

Hey There, Look at this question this way.
We're given two scenarios by the farmer. Let me remind you that this is his opinion, and he thinks that there are no in-betweens.

1) Two Types of People (only) - Rich or Poor. Let me tell you again, there are no in-betweens. For eg: You cannot be Middle Class. You're either Rich or you're Poor. Applies to when You're a Farmer.
2) Again, Two types of people- Honest or Dishonest. No in-betweens, for eg: You cannot be partially honest, partially dishonest. Also Applies to when You're a Farmer.

Pre thinking - Look at what the farmer's done here, He says - All Poor Farmers are Honest. He specifically means If you're a poor farmer, you are honest. There's no way you can be dishonest. All the dishonesty is elsewhere in the other category, and you can see that in the conclusion when he says - All Rich Farmers are dishonest.

Explanation
Since this Question is about Farmers, we'll have to consider these two scenarios for a farmer. One easy way to solve this is to observe that all the options other than option A are talking about People/A Person in general, and we're not worried about that here. We're trying to figure an assumption, given the two scenarios in the case of FARMERS ONLY. Hence, you can eliminate all the others out and blindly select option A.

The other way to solve this would be to take each option and negate them to see whether the negated version breaks the argument/conclusion. A is the best option because, it says - every honest farmer is poor. The negated version of this would be Every Honest Farmer isn't poor. Think about it, doesn't this go against what we've seen so far? We were told that every poor farmer is honest, and from what I've said above about there being no in-betweens, that must mean that every honest farmer must also be poor. The negated version of A would mean that hey, there are rich farmers who are honest too, and this dismantles the argument.

Sure hope this helped!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1812 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: A poor farmer was fond of telling his children: In this world, you ar [#permalink]
A poor farmer was fond of telling his children: “In this world, you are either rich or poor, and you are either honest or dishonest. All poor farmers are honest. Therefore, all rich farmers are dishonest.”

The farmer’s conclusion is properly drawn if the argument assumes that

(A) every honest farmer is poor
(B) every honest person is a farmer
(C) everyone who is dishonest is a rich farmer
(D) everyone who is poor is honest
(E) every poor person is a farmer

Three parameters based on which this passage can be understood:
1. Rich/Poor
2. Honest/Dishonest
3. Farmer

What we forget to think of is that there must be PEOPLE who are NON FARMERS. This is where this passage plays you out.
If you get that it becomes easy for you to pick A, otherwise making tables helps but again it would be correct only if you pick the people/non farmer part.

C and D are the choices that take most of the time among the four wrong ones - C is easier between them to eliminate. D took the toughness to another level by testing only honest and poor aspect.

HTHs.

Answer A.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A poor farmer was fond of telling his children: In this world, you ar [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts