Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [3]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.75
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Re: The 2011-2012 Zero Admit Club [#permalink]
I hope this thread will remain silent, but If you are already certain about your outcome, please do not hesitate to share it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Well, I'll get started. I applied to 6 schools counting Haas twice (3 this year for Fall 2012, 3 last year for Fall 2011). Unfortunately I got dinged from all of them (5 rejections, waitlisted after interview from Haas last year, just plain dinged from Haas this year). I'm not sure why (700+ GMAT, good recs, 4 years consulting experience from a good firm, etc.), but I think it may have to do with my GPA and how I answered some of my essays (don't use "Lost Focus" to explain when your grades may have dropped). Haas hurt the most since that's where I most want to go - as seen in my name. I still have one Round 2 app out there with HBS, so I'm crossing my fingers for that.

If I apply for a third time next year, then I may start looking into a application consultant, but right now I still feel a burning desire to make it in on my own and am hoping HBS comes through. Wish me luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Here goes ...

Age/Gender: 24/M (25 in March)
GMAT Score/GPA : 690/First Class (3.5+ when converted to GPA scale)
Work Experience: [industry/years] 1.5 years in executive search till date, previously 1.5 years in the HR function of a renowned consulting firm's research unit
Schools applied to: Columbia, Tuck, Kellogg, Duke, ISB
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] No - only free reviews from EssaySnark, Precision Essay
#Interviews: 2 (Kellogg, ISB)
#WL: 1 (ISB - will not join even if accepted)

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why? Kellogg - rejected after interview in India, where you get interview invites unlike the US where anyone can interview
Why the lack of success? Seems lower work experience + lower GMAT
What next? Retaking the GMAT with a goal of 720+ Will work super hard at work to write a compelling application this October
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Age/Gender:26/male
GMAT Score/GPA : 710/2.9 (one of the top eng/sci schools)
Work Experience: [industry/years] energy/3.5
Schools applied to: Fuqua, Ross, Johnson, Marshall
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] no
#Interviews: 2 (Johnson and Marshall)
#WL: 2 (Johnson and Marshall)

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why? they all kinda hurt...
Why the lack of success? low gpa and probably lack of flashy work experience
What next? I had applied to MS programs in case of this happening. Probably go do a MS to ease the gpa concerns, parlay that into a 'flashier' job and try again a few years down the road.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
jassiinpublic wrote:
Reserving space for the eventual post.

Looks like the mourning of your candidacy was premature. Congrats on Ross!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Age/Gender: 28/M
GMAT Score/GPA : 680 (M50, V31) / First Class With honors (~3.4 when converted to GPA scale)
Work Experience: [industry/years] 6.5 years in IT (including 2 years as Project leader and 1 year as Project Manager)
Schools applied to: Kenan-Flagler, NUS, Nanyang, HKUST, Notredame
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] No
#Interviews: 1 (Kenan-Flagler)
#WL: 2 (Nanyang; Notredame)

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why? Kenan-Flagler, NUS
Why the lack of success? Common Pool - IT + lower GMAT (Skewed) + Not compelling essays.
What next? Will Retake the GMAT with a goal of 730+. Will apply again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Took me awhile to get to this. Tried to cleanse myself of this message board for a couple of months

Age/Gender: 27/M
GMAT Score/GPA : 700 (M44, V41) / 3.7 Ivy
Work Experience: [industry/years] 1.5 years strategy consulting, 3.5 years boutique energy IB
Schools applied to: HBS, Sloan, Wharton, Columbia
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] Yes - but would rather not say who
#Interviews: 1 (Wharton)
#WL: 2 (Wharton, Columbia)

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why? Columbia, I thought my profile fit and I live 1 subway stop from campus.

Why the lack of success? The glaring one is that my GMAT is ~10-15 points below the average, with a less than stellar math score. Although my work experience is solid, they aren't necessarily blue-chip firms. I thought my professional goals and essays were as good as they possibly could be, in that I used a consultant and spent a boatload of time refining them.

What next? In limbo. The only thing I can realistically change about my candidacy is a higher GMAT score, but that's by no means a slam dunk. There are obviously many other schools I could apply to, which I would revisit. In the meantime, this experience has really shattered my confidence so I need to work on rebuilding that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Age/Gender: 27 Male
GMAT Score/GPA : 700 (44V 41Q) 3.03 Georgia Tech
Work Experience: [industry/years] Air Force Officer/4 years
Schools applied to: Harvard, Wharton, Columbia, Kellogg
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] Nope
#Interviews: Kellogg
#WL: Kellogg

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why? Kellogg. I have a lot of family connections there and really thought I would get in.
Why the lack of success? Low GPA combined with low Quant score. Also probably too "military" in my application overall
What next? Retaking the GMAT on 2 June and using a consultant this time around.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
Age/Gender: 27 Male
GMAT Score/GPA : 700 (44V 41Q) 3.03 Georgia Tech
Work Experience: [industry/years] Air Force Officer/4 years
Schools applied to: Harvard, Wharton, Columbia, Kellogg
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] Nope
#Interviews: Kellogg
#WL: Kellogg

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why? Kellogg. I have a lot of family connections there and really thought I would get in.
Why the lack of success? Low GPA combined with low Quant score. Also probably too "military" in my application overall
What next? Retaking the GMAT on 2 June and using a consultant this time around.

We have the same score breakdown.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
forgot about this thread...

26/Male
710 (49/39)/2.7 Williams
6 Years/Professional Poker Player
Florida/NYC
CBS, Kellogg, Tuck, Fuqua, Yale SOM, Johnson
Yes/Clear Admit
Self-Initiated at Tuck/Kellogg, invited at Johnson
WL at Johnson

Not getting the interview at Fuqua hurt the most because I felt that it was one of my better, if not best, set of essays, that I fit well with the culture, and that the school had the reputation of overlooking a blemish like a bad GPA or GMAT. Applying all in R2 it was the first indicator I had of how my message was being received, and as such, made me pretty pessimistic about my chances everywhere.

I think there were a few reasons. Main one was applying too late, not quite as prepared as I needed to be, and applied to schools that were, in hindsight, close to or out of my range. I also know that at the schools that might have been closer to my range (SOM and Fuqua, specifically) there was a candidate very similar to myself (poker as sole work experience) who was WL’ed in R1 at both of those schools so they may have not been interested in a similar candidate since they already found one they liked ok.

Just finished a Financial Accounting course to work on my GPA weakness and am looking to possibly do more classes this summer or find an internship to broaden my work experience. Will be reapplying to similar schools in R1 if I do not get off the WL.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Darden - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Age/Gender: 27/m
GMAT Score/GPA : 710/3.4/ivy
Work Experience: [industry/years] consulting/pharma/5 yrs
Schools applied to: HBS,Wharton, Kellog, Booth, Darden
#Interviews: 3 (K,B,W)
#WL: 1 (W)

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why? Booth....after learning more about it it moved from the bottom of my list to the top. I was blown away by how great of a program it is
Why the lack of success? Didn't define goals in the most coherent way was the biggest reason..other things here and there that just added up
What next? hiring a consultant, getting back in the saddle, and trying again in R1. This is going to be the longest year I can imagine

chromium73 wrote:

Chromium, I remember you from the Wharton waitlsit thread...we're both gonna get in this year - I know it. We can form our own support group. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Age/Gender: 27/M
GMAT Score/GPA : 730 (48Q/42V) + 3.0
Work Experience: [industry/years] : 4 years - Telco marketing
Schools applied to: UCB Haas, UCLA Anderson, Fuqua, Stern, Tepper
#Interviews: 2
#WL: 1

Fuqua hurt the most - thought it was my best executed application and I really got my hopes up when I interviewed in Durham. Technically still on the waitlist - but I think its time to start thinking about applications for next year.

What next? Definitely going to reapply, but not sure about what programs. Want to try at Fuqua again but I don't think I'm going to have a lot of progress to show for next application cycle. Maybe hire a consultant to help with the ding analysis (though I already have a good idea about the feedback I'll get).

Its definitely going to be a rough year - not looking forward to another season of applications.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Age/Gender: 26/M
GMAT Score/GPA : 700 (Q48/V38) / 3.49 in Math, private New England school
Work Experience: [industry/years] Finance - Hedge Fund, Back Office / 5 yrs (at matriculation)
Schools applied to: HBS, Wharton, Booth, Columbia, NYU, Duke, MIT
#Interviews: Duke
#WL: Duke

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why?:
The Duke ding hurt because I felt that my interview went really well. Just visiting and spending the weekend got me really excited about the program. CU and NYU also hurt a lot, as NYC would be my top location. I also did my NYU app as one of the last, and felt it was the best app I submitted. My recommender was also a Sterm alum.

Why the lack of success? I think it must have been my essays/story. My GMAT wasn't great, and I should have had it 10-20 points higher, but I find it really hard to believe that was the deciding factor. I know my essays were written well, because my gf edited them and she's a professional editor. I think my story was too high level and just a verbose representation of my resume. Also, I'm sure that coming from back office finance (even from a decently well known 5-10bn hedge fund) and wanting to go IB throws me into a bucket against all the kids who did IB right out of school, which can't help.

What next? I'll be reapplying this year. I've beaten myself up over this plenty, and I'm sure I will straight through this app season. It's tough, but I know I want/need to go to school, so I have to push through. I've revised my list slightly, dropping MIT and HBS and replacing them with Kellogg and Darden. I refuse to go any lower because I want to get into IB, so a lower caliber school won't do it. Also, schools like Tuck, Cornell or Michigan are in locations that I don't want to be. My professional growth should be strong, as my boss is 100% behind me in this process and doing all they can to help me in the process. I retook the GMAT, but unfortunately hit 700 again (Q50/V35) with my AWA up to a 6 from 5.5. I was averaging 730-740, so I was very disappointed, but I doubt I'll retake it. Also, looking back, I think my resume could use a rework. I pitched myself there and in my essays too much as a technical, hard worker, and not enough as a leader. I'll also most likely hire a consultant for 1-2 schools, but I'm still in the process of deciding which consultant and for which programs, as reapplicant apps are very different (and often much shorter) than regular ones. My CBS app will be going early decision, and submitted as early as I possibly feel it's ready. My Duke will go EA. NYU will also go early. Hoping that helps.

Overall I think I just need to get my mind back into it. Like I said, I took this pretty hard as I'm not used to failing, especially not this spectacularly. I know in the end that I'm a more than qualified applicant, and that I just need to 'play the game' better when it comes to the apps. I can't decide if I should stick with my IB goal, which is 100% my real goal, or adjust it to something more along the lines of a consultant or a future CFO, since that better aligns with my specific experience. I hate to think this is factored in, and I know you're supposed to be honest, but I can't help but feel that wanting to go IB w/o front office experience hurt me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sdd996 wrote:
Age/Gender: 26/M
GMAT Score/GPA : 700 (Q48/V38) / 3.49 in Math, private New England school
Work Experience: [industry/years] Finance - Hedge Fund, Back Office / 5 yrs (at matriculation)
Schools applied to: HBS, Wharton, Booth, Columbia, NYU, Duke, MIT
#Interviews: Duke
#WL: Duke

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why?:
The Duke ding hurt because I felt that my interview went really well. Just visiting and spending the weekend got me really excited about the program. CU and NYU also hurt a lot, as NYC would be my top location. I also did my NYU app as one of the last, and felt it was the best app I submitted. My recommender was also a Sterm alum.

Why the lack of success? I think it must have been my essays/story. My GMAT wasn't great, and I should have had it 10-20 points higher, but I find it really hard to believe that was the deciding factor. I know my essays were written well, because my gf edited them and she's a professional editor. I think my story was too high level and just a verbose representation of my resume. Also, I'm sure that coming from back office finance (even from a decently well known 5-10bn hedge fund) and wanting to go IB throws me into a bucket against all the kids who did IB right out of school, which can't help.

What next? I'll be reapplying this year. I've beaten myself up over this plenty, and I'm sure I will straight through this app season. It's tough, but I know I want/need to go to school, so I have to push through. I've revised my list slightly, dropping MIT and HBS and replacing them with Kellogg and Darden. I refuse to go any lower because I want to get into IB, so a lower caliber school won't do it. Also, schools like Tuck, Cornell or Michigan are in locations that I don't want to be. My professional growth should be strong, as my boss is 100% behind me in this process and doing all they can to help me in the process. I retook the GMAT, but unfortunately hit 700 again (Q50/V35) with my AWA up to a 6 from 5.5. I was averaging 730-740, so I was very disappointed, but I doubt I'll retake it. Also, looking back, I think my resume could use a rework. I pitched myself there and in my essays too much as a technical, hard worker, and not enough as a leader. I'll also most likely hire a consultant for 1-2 schools, but I'm still in the process of deciding which consultant and for which programs, as reapplicant apps are very different (and often much shorter) than regular ones. My CBS app will be going early decision, and submitted as early as I possibly feel it's ready. My Duke will go EA. NYU will also go early. Hoping that helps.

Overall I think I just need to get my mind back into it. Like I said, I took this pretty hard as I'm not used to failing, especially not this spectacularly. I know in the end that I'm a more than qualified applicant, and that I just need to 'play the game' better when it comes to the apps. I can't decide if I should stick with my IB goal, which is 100% my real goal, or adjust it to something more along the lines of a consultant or a future CFO, since that better aligns with my specific experience. I hate to think this is factored in, and I know you're supposed to be honest, but I can't help but feel that wanting to go IB w/o front office experience hurt me.

You sound like you have a real good head on your shoulders man. Good luck.
GMAT Club Bot