Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:45 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [159]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [26]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2803 [4]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Many online retailers charge “restocking fees” on returns if the [#permalink]
Good catch. or a poor miss on my part :oops: .

I have been making this mistake of missing redundancies. How do I avoid them? I read this so many times before posting it but alas it slipped everytime.

Can you suggest a way to avoid such stupid error?

Going back to my original point - Option D seems to have an incomplete sentence after 'but'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2803 [3]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Many online retailers charge “restocking fees” on returns if the [#permalink]
Kudos
vatsas wrote:

I have been making this mistake of missing redundancies. How do I avoid them? I read this so many times before posting it but alas it slipped everytime.

Going back to my original point - Option D seems to have an incomplete sentence after 'but'.

The best way is to do a Lot of Practice ... I think there is no shortcut to success.
Coming to your second ques:
In a run on sentence, both the sentences before or after the comma are complete. You are stating otherwise.
https://grockit.com/blog/gmat/2011/06/02 ... sentences/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [4]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Another reason i choose D is the parallel construction after "but"

if the purchase price is refunded back to the customer's credit card
should be parallel to "if given as store credit"

In ans D

if the purchase price is refunded to the customer's credit card
is parallel to
"if the refund is given as"
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1546 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
vatsas wrote:
Many online retailers charge “restocking fees” on returns if the purchase price is refunded back to the customer's credit card, but charge no such fees if given as store credit.

a. if the purchase price is refunded back to the customer's credit card, but charge no such fees if given as

b. for purchases that are refunded to the customer's credit card, but not when those purchases are refunded as

c. when the purchase is refunded back to the customer's credit card, but not given in the form of

d. if the purchase price is refunded to the customer's credit card, but not if the refund is given as

e. whose purchase prices are refunded to the customer's credit card, and charge no such fees if refunded

I got stuck between a and d. The option 'd' does not seem to have complete sentence after but. So we have a run on sentence. Am I missing something?

"refund back to" in choice A and C is redundant. So, they are out. Choice D is truly complete because the 2nd part is only opposite with the 1st part, it's used to collaborate the 1st. "The purchase price is refunded" can be alternated by "the refund" \. Choice C shows "in the form of" is no clear meaning.

Choice E is wrong because of the meaning of the 2nd part "charge no such fees if refunded".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
 Q47  V28 GMAT 2: 570  Q40  V29
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
vatsas wrote:
Many online retailers charge “restocking fees” on returns if the purchase price is refunded back to the customer's credit card, but charge no such fees if given as store credit.

a. if the purchase price is refunded back to the customer's credit card, but charge no such fees if given as

b. for purchases that are refunded to the customer's credit card, but not when those purchases are refunded as

c. when the purchase is refunded back to the customer's credit card, but not given in the form of

d. if the purchase price is refunded to the customer's credit card, but not if the refund is given as

e. whose purchase prices are refunded to the customer's credit card, and charge no such fees if refunded

I got stuck between a and d. The option 'd' does not seem to have complete sentence after but. So we have a run on sentence. Am I missing something?

i've got stuck between A and D too. but finally choose D. in my point of view, the meaning is a bit ambiguous. what is given the price or the fees. in D the intended meaning is clear.

regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Man, this is a good problem.

Here's mine:

First, read the entire sentence. Then read each answer choice (beginning with A). After reading each, there are three easy eliminations: A, C, and E. A from "if given" and "refunded back", C from "but not given", and E from "whose".

For B & D, we basically need to decide between "for purchases" and "if the purchase price". It looks like D is the way to go, plus it's more economic, which helps.

D...

OA! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
vatsas wrote:

Try this:

When you compare two sentences, what is the difference between the two?

If you spot the difference to an additional word in one versus the other, check if this word is "needed". This is your test for redundancy.

In the give question, between A and D you can spot "refunded back" as the difference, it is present in A absent in D. Immediately pop the question "is the word "back" needed or is it redundant?" you might find it easier to spot those then.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V700
Send PM
D for me too. the purchase vs purchase price eliminated 2 immediately. though i didnt catch the redundant "refunded back" (good one rohitgoel!), D felt the best answer for the use of but and IIelism
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
Kudos
This question just popped up in a CAT that I took last week. While taking the test (and I was rushed at this point), I saw the "if" and thought if-then statement and immediately crossed off a&d.

Now looking back I realize that if can be used in two scenarios (i) if-then, and (ii) hypothetical. Any advice on how can I get better at determining this distinction?

My thoughts are as follows - if answer choices switch between "if" and "whether", then go down the logic I followed in the test looking for "then". If not not an if-then scenario, go with "whether" to choose between two option. If a hypothetical situation then the correct answer should have an "if" in it.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
Send PM

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM