Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:08 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
anilIndia wrote:
On an unrelated note, on the day of the interview I met a guy who was interviewing along with me. He seemed concerned that he did not have a work experience. He had taken a break from medical school at US and was in the UK pursuing a masters in Health policy or something in Oxford. He was so modest and said that he was lucky to be here in UK on a scholarship etc. I came to know recently just browsing on the internet that he is a Rhodes scholar. Whew!!!! Unbelievable modesty being a Rhodes scholar.

For joining Facebook, do you just need to send a request or also a PM to the moderators stating details of acceptance etc?

Regarding the event registration, though I was able to register, another email has been sent to sort out the issue. So I guess there was some issue.

FB: Just click the "join the group" button. Someone will add you in 5 minutes.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mosquad wrote:
jimdavis wrote:
mosquad wrote:

We're in a kind of similar situation, I got accepted to IESE too. I think it's gonna be Oxford :)
You?

Hi, newbie here.

Curious as to why you are choosing Oxford over IESE given that IESE is higher in the rankings? What has swung it for you?

Thanks

It was a tough decision indeed.
The first thing is: there is no bad decision. As people tell me "this is a luxury problem".
I like the fact that Oxford is respected in the business/mba world AND outside of the business world; it kind of gives that extra "flexibility" to use the brand in more sectors. I expect Oxford's ranking to go up (though it is very good now imo, especially after only 12 years); they have all it takes to do that and we can see that they're very motivated (the dean they hired is a very good sigh of that), so they will be taking very good care of their students/alumni to achieve that goal (I think).
The fact that it's 1 year and cheaper is another factor.
IESE is obviously a top school, that's why I applied in the first place; I don't want to think about it anymore haha it's a tough decision!

Haha! Well good luck in whatever you decide and thanks for the insight!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi All ! I'm also in toooooooooooo ... So glad !

Properly I'm too worried for the interview last time (if any guy still remember my post :)). But frankly, the feeling is so much different from the last time I got the interview offer. (almost jump and scream ...). This time it was more deep and calm. I guess I need to figure out how to got the tuition fee then :).

Am in the process of applying to HEC Paris and INSEAD too, almost finished all the essays except for INSEAD (still got 3 more ). Now, no need to write already ... haha ... also save some bucks for the application.

Any ways, really thinking should I give it a try to HEC Paris.

Could we make an statistic update on the R3 so members wish to apply to Oxford can got a better idea about this round.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
coolwolf15 wrote:

Properly I'm too worried for the interview last time (if any guy still remember my post :)). But frankly, the feeling is so much different from the last time I got the interview offer. (almost jump and scream ...). This time it was more deep and calm. I guess I need to figure out how to got the tuition fee then :).

Am in the process of applying to HEC Paris and INSEAD too, almost finished all the essays except for INSEAD (still got 3 more ). Now, no need to write already ... haha ... also save some bucks for the application.

Could we make an statistic update on the R3 so members wish to apply to Oxford can got a better idea about this round.

Congrats! You have been through a rollercoaster!

Why are you not applying to INSEAD? I am thinking of giving R2 a shot.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
Don't know about IE and Oxford quite yet. IE is better ranked in every publication, Oxford is something that I personally prefer. I clearly know ways that it would help me with my education and career goals. I haven't applied to scholarships at IE yet. At Oxford there is nothing else to look forward to other than the Said school scholarship. There is going to be some soul searching, crowdsourcing of ideas/advice over the next week or two.

I have been a member of the FB group for a while now. In fact, I think I joined right after applying. Even if I wasn't admitted, it wouldn't have hurt to get to know bunch of smart people. The admins had let me in kindly. Someone whose namesake is a chief minister in India should have got an friend request from me. If you read this here, now you know who I am. ;)

@nominomi - I remember you from INSEAD pages. Congratulations. Now, which one its gonna be? :D

@coolwolf, @buda, @anil @mosquad @shamanth - congratulations.

@jimdavis - IE and IESE are great schools. IESE is all case based, is modelled after HBS. Some of its faculties are considered thought leaders in business world the world over. IESE is two years and for that reason alone I have not applied to it. IE is a great school with an entrepreneurial spirit and intense curriculum. These two schools along with ESADE have a phenomenal reputation in LatAm countries and Europe. In Asia and US, both IE and IESE are very well regarded as well.

As mosquad has mentioned Said carries the Oxford name with it. That alone is worth $$$$. If you are changing geographies, or are looking for doors to be opened in remote places, the network will be immensely helpful. The collegiate experience at Oxbridge is quite unique as well.

Its a personal decision for everyone. Don't just go by rankings. You are not going to go around announcing that you went to a top 3 business school or top 10 business school. First and foremost its about education, then its about your own individual career goals and finally the experience. Look at what suits you best.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got the yes as well!! So glad!

Does anyone know when the term starts? I think I read first week of October but not 100% sure
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
@jimdavis, thanks! haha

@sanjuro9, thanks! congrats to you too!

@pritzwalk, I think it's October 8th but I heard about some boot camps towards the end of September (I'm not sure what these are haha)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@sanjuro

i wonder who is the guy with the name of a chief minister! (i thought i was done with the teasing back in school!) anyway, if you ever sent me an FB request, i must have accepted you thinking it was a good old school friend! haha!

and wonderful writeup on "why oxford"! you should just have written that in your essay! (or you probably did??!!! lol!)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
budablasta wrote:
coolwolf15 wrote:

INSEAD normally takes 2-3 months to know the final result. By then, you already need to deposit about 10k. Are you willing to forgo that money if you got accepted in INSEAD ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
coolwolf15 wrote:
budablasta wrote:
coolwolf15 wrote:

INSEAD normally takes 2-3 months to know the final result. By then, you already need to deposit about 10k. Are you willing to forgo that money if you got accepted in INSEAD ?

Well, I am going to try anyway. Chances of making it look slim though. But it's really funny! Oxford was always and continues to be my first choice
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
So basically I have admits from both Insead and Oxford. What to do? Don't know. Maybe just stay in my current job.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nominomi wrote:
So basically I have admits from both Insead and Oxford. What to do? Don't know. Maybe just stay in my current job.

With a 660 gmat, you are seriously busting some big myths! Congrats on the "problem of plenty"!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
nominomi wrote:

LOL... someone should have told me there was a third option. Too late.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Send PM
Congrats everyone. The FB group is very active. See you all in Oxford !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GPA: 3.89
WE:Research (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Hi all! Congrats to all of you that got accepted!! I also got the acceptance today, so happyyy!!!
Now I know for sure I'll be staying in UK for the next year, SUPER excited!!! Such a good feeling knowing my plan for the next few months and not being in limbo :)

Btw, can someone share the link to the Oxford MBA facebook group? I looked up on fb and there are few different ones. Is it the Said Business School Admissions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
hellopanda wrote:
Hi all! Congrats to all of you that got accepted!! I also got the acceptance today, so happyyy!!!
Now I know for sure I'll be staying in UK for the next year, SUPER excited!!! Such a good feeling knowing my plan for the next few months and not being in limbo :)

Btw, can someone share the link to the Oxford MBA facebook group? I looked up on fb and there are few different ones. Is it the Said Business School Admissions?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sbs2013/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GPA: 3.89
WE:Research (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Thanks budablasta!
GMAT Club Bot