Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [66]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [13]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [12]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Re: Antipoverty initiatives have had to contend with two decades of econom [#permalink]
Anti-poverty initiatives have had to contend with two decades of economic shifts that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills.

[strike]A) that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills[/strike] - Eliminate from "little"
[strike]B) having depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills[/strike] - Eliminate from "having"
C) that have depressed the wages of workers with few or no technical skills
[strike]D) in which the workers' wages with few or no technical skills have been depressed[/strike] - Eliminate from "workers' wages". Also, the original sentence implies that the shifts have depressed the wages. D decreases the significance of the depression of wages through its usage of "which".
[strike]E) in that workers with few or no technical skills have wages that are depressed[/strike] - Eliminate from "in that"

So let's go with C.

Originally posted by geometric on 10 Jun 2012, 01:01.
Last edited by geometric on 10 Jun 2012, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Antipoverty initiatives have had to contend with two decades of econom [#permalink]
Anti-poverty initiatives have had to contend with two decades of economic shifts that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills.

A) that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills
INCORRECT: can't say "with little or no technical skills." That's like saying "with little technical skills," it should be with "few technical skills."

B) having depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills
INCORRECT: again the use of "little" is wrong.

C) that have depressed the wages of workers with few or no technical skills
CORRECT: uses "few"

D) in which the workers' wages with few or no technical skills have been depressed
INCORRECT: is saying that the wages have few or no technical skills

E) in that workers with few or no technical skills have wages that are depressed
INCORRECT: use of "in that" is wrong
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 528 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
how did you guys decide whether to use few or little, is skill a countable or uncountable noun
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [10]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think skills would be countable. For example, "I have one skill (reading)." Or "I have two skills (reading and writing)."

I think skills are countable but the level of skill is not. For example, "He has little skill in reading (his level of reading is poor)."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
about this question, I am a little bit skeptical about the fast that skill is considered a countable work. As said before I have the feeling that it could be both considered as countable or uncountable (you can think of the number of "skills" a person has, or "his skills" as a word to mean his "competence" or "his ability' to do the work and in this case it is uncountable). Can somebody clarify this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Send PM
Hello,

Can anyone give some examples of the use of 'skill' in the uncountable context?

Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20708 [2]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

(A) that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills
(B) having depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills
(C) that have depressed the wages of workers with few or no technical skills
(D) in which the workers' wages with few or no technical skills have been depressed
(E) in that workers with few or no technical skills have wages that are depressed

GMATNinjaTwo NOUN + having + VERBing is always WRONG? (shifts having depressed).
Attachments

Few.jpg
Few.jpg [ 49.69 KiB | Viewed 22123 times ]

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [8]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I'm pretty certain that you would never use "having + verb" immediately after a noun. The only correct uses of "having + verb" that I've seen on the GMAT look something like this:

• Having studied for the GMAT for years, Souvik finally scored in the 99th percentile this week. --> technically speaking, "having studied" modifies Souvik, and the sequencing makes sense: he studied first, then scored in the 99th percentile
  • Having eaten dinner already, Amber immediately began pounding shots at the dinner party. --> also fine, since Amber ate dinner first, and then began drinking heavily at the dinner party

But I can't come up with a correct version of the "noun + having + verb" construction in (B).

I hope this helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20708 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Antipoverty initiatives have had to contend with two decades of econom [#permalink]
NYCAnalyst wrote:
Antipoverty initiatives have had to contend with two decades of economic shifts that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills.

(A) that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills
(B) having depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills
(C) that have depressed the wages of workers with few or no technical skills
(D) in which the workers' wages with few or no technical skills have been depressed
(E) in that workers with few or no technical skills have wages that are depressed

"having had" is actually a modifier phrase and not used often on the GMAT. "have had" is present perfect.

Below are examples of how each could be used in a sentence:

Having had chicken pox as a child, I will never get that disease again.

I have had chicken pox only once in my life.

GMATNinja, Could you help to explain the correct usage and the meaning of "having had", "have had / has had" and "had had"?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos