Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [8]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.22
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: How to improve verbal to 40+? [#permalink]
Kudos
I think in order to breach 40V one has to focus more on HOW to think rather than WHAT one thinks.

Case in point, 700-level SC questions revolve around the following ideas:

1. Multiple-topics: from parallelism to s-v agreement to concision
2. Logic: you'll be able to notice that the best answer choice is the one that portrays what the "author" is really trying to say.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
Try e-gmat course. I think it's specially targeted for people who are trying to improve verbal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
My advice would be to practice practice and practice. Also try maintaining a simple error log to see where you are making mistakes and go over your mistakes till you know those topics better than anything else. Also try reading reputed and well written publications such as ' The Economist' or 'The New York Times'.
You seem to have a really good score on Quant so you can focus for the next two months on Verbal.

Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Actually GMATsaga has got it spot on! You need to change your approach towards SC.

See for a large part you can get away by using basic grammar rules. However my personal opinion is on the GMAT at a higher range you start getting questions which test your understanding of meaning. Let me give you an example:

The former President of the United States of America, George Bush wielded enormous power over aid to third world countries.

(a) The former President of the United States of America,

(b) As the former President of the United States of America,

(c) As the President of the United States of America,

(d) He was President of the United States of America,

(e) Former President of the United States of America,

How would you approach this question? Also what "rules" of grammar do you need to solve it. The fact it is a modifier is known but that is not what is being tested here!

Arun
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Yeah, I agree with arun. Context is far more important in the 700+ level questions that in the lower difficulty ranges. In fact, context is so important that it's often quicker to solve 700+ level questions than lower difficulty ranges because of obvious meaning changes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Wow I was not expecting so many helpful suggestions, thanks a lot!

Vandy – When I read the WSJ should I focus on articles that I am not interested in? Also, what do you recommend I can do to work on Arun’s and Saga’s advice?

GMATSAGA – Do you have suggestions to work on that? Several people agree with you, but I am a bit confused as to what I can do to improve on that.

Someone79 – Did you take e-gmat? Do you know how it compares to Knewton?

Rakp – I went through the OG and Supplemental problems already. I plan to buy the new editions and do those problems. Towards the end I started reading the explanations and forums for any problem that I had a doubt on, and that really helped. Do you know of any other source of problems that I should try?

Arun – I would say the answer is B. I eliminated D&E because they both sounded awkward and C changed the meaning. I was between A&B, but I thought B sounded better. What is the correct approach to this problem? Also, what do you suggest I can do to follow Saga’s advice?

Thanks again!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
In regards to reading the WSJ, you're asking the right question. Personally, I think it will be most beneficial to you if you read articles that are short and articles that seem interesting to you, at least at first. This is primarily because you'll be more motivated to do it. As you improve your skills, you can start to read some of the more technical articles that you might have found too boring earlier in your preparation. These are usually found in the Money & Investing section.

The real key to cracking the difficult RC questions IMO is cracking the structure of every passage. This approach also mitigates the risk that you'll lose interest in the passage and as a result, lose comprehension. Basically, the way to crack the structure of a passage is to take very structured notes. The awesome news is that the GMAT sets this up for you on every single passage (at least every passage that I've read). Let me give you an example: every paragraph has a topic sentence and then has a few supporting points, and usually has a transition sentence. Sometimes, this structure is tough to isolate or maybe it's camouflaged by complex technical information, but it's there. You don't want to just write down details about the passage or even things you think are important. Instead, you want your notes to visually depict the structure of that passage, i.e.,

I. topic
a. point 1 (not the whole sentence. shorten the sentence down to the one thing that it's saying.)
b. point 2
c. point 3 or maybe counter-point
II. next topic
etc

The reason that the WSJ is so great is that articles in there are usually not as well structured as GMAT passages. Forcing yourself to structure their points will make it incredibly easy to do the same thing on the GMAT, even with the most technical passages.

In regards to the other advice in this thread, it's all good. Saga, in particular, is very correct in noting that the 700+ level questions in RC and CR are about deeper meaning. The easiest way to uncover that meaning is to take notes on all the passages you read. For me personally, I usually don't even refer back to those notes. Just the process of taking the notes will ingrain that info. When a problem is very difficult, the notes almost always uncover the answer. Arun is also clearly correct. That is the easiest part though. Just read a lot and you'll get better at context.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi, I would be happy to chime in.

First of all, completely agree with GMATSaga. Kudos to you.

There are 3 key ways in which we differ from Knewton:

1. Focus on Non-Natives: The reason we exist is to help non-natives excel on GMAT Verbal. Since non-natives need to learn a lot more, our coverage of topics is a more in-depth than that of other test prep companies. That is why we offer 35+ hrs. of live sessions on verbal, whereas most other test prep companies devote less than 15 or fewer hrs. We also continue to refresh our content periodically; for example we recently launched 4 new concepts on As vs Like (about 1.5 hrs of content, 35 new questions). Knewton on the other hand does not offer live sessions any more.

2. Quality of content: All our content is extremely high quality. We make all the questions ourselves and we spend a lot of time doing so. Hence, these questions are not simply a re-wording of the official questions but really test your understanding. Check our our free trial to experience the same.

3. Verbal Score improvement Guarantee: E-GMAT is probably the only company to offer a 4 point Verbal Score Improvement Guarantee. Basically this means that if you don't score 39 or higher on your exam, you get your money back.

You can also check this page out for more details. We offer a very generous free trial.I would recommend that you take the free trial and see if the course makes sense for you.

-Rajat
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
vandygrad11 wrote:
Yeah, I agree with arun. Context is far more important in the 700+ level questions that in the lower difficulty ranges. In fact, context is so important that it's often quicker to solve 700+ level questions than lower difficulty ranges because of obvious meaning changes.

Spot on. I noticed that for 700-level questions POE becomes "rather" obsolete.

Once you accept this fact you will be able to tell yourself that the quantitative and verbal parts of the GMAT are tightly integrated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Send PM
gmatsaga wrote:
vandygrad11 wrote:

Spot on. I noticed that for 700-level questions POE becomes "rather" obsolete.

Once you accept this fact you will be able to tell yourself that the quantitative and verbal parts of the GMAT are tightly integrated.

Awesome! Best piece of 2-line advice I have seen! :)

Arun
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Send PM
mnuma87 wrote:
Wow I was not expecting so many helpful suggestions, thanks a lot!

GMATSAGA – Do you have suggestions to work on that? Several people agree with you, but I am a bit confused as to what I can do to improve on that.

Thanks again!!!

Well I think everyone needs to first master the "formulaic" approach to sentence correction. The formulaic approach goes like:

I. What's the subject of the sentence?
II. Does it agree (in number) with the verb?
III. Are there any pronouns?
IV. Where are its/their antecedents?
V. Are there objects being compared?
VI. Are the elements being compared parallel?

In essence the modus operandi (method of operation) is:
I. SV Agreement
II. Pronouns
III. Parallelism (arguably the favorite topic of the folks in GMAC)
IV. on and on and on

See, this strategy will take you to stratosphere. But if you want to flap your arms in GMAT space you have to focus on the meaning. I think the poster above me gave a very good 700-level question. I solved it in less than 30 seconds, totally abandoning the modus operandi.

Always focus on the meaning. Always ask yourself, "What the hell are you trying to say?!"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 1
Send PM
I never use POE.

Typically for CR, one should be able to answer the question before the selection is even given. Otherwise, everything becomes quite ambiguous afterwards. Same goes for SC.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
Send PM
Read the newspaper every day. It can result in a much greater improvement than you may expect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Send PM
Wow glad to find my "mirror-image". :) Let's shake hands.

Yeah, I used to focus a lot on pre-phrase (or called pre-thinking) in CR and SC, trying to predict the right answer. Many times I found the correct choice was like automatically jumping out, and in this way I saved precious time by not painstakingly going through the other choices. But Ron said that this was not a good way, because a lot of times it's impossible to predict the correct answer - I agree, sometimes I missed the correct answer simply because it was so unexpected that failed to catch my eye on a first glance.

So how can we do? It seems a trade-off between pre-thinking and being open-minded (getting ready for unexpected correct answers).

Nice discussion everyone. I'd be happy to hear your input.

heintzst wrote:
I never use POE.

Typically for CR, one should be able to answer the question before the selection is even given. Otherwise, everything becomes quite ambiguous afterwards. Same goes for SC.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Regarding the SC question that Arun brought up, I got a similar question in my Prep2 Practice Exam. The following link has the question and in-depth analysis from Stacey.
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index.php/2012/04/20/meaning-is-mean-a-gmatprep-sentence-correction-problem/

well, I agree that grab the meaning is important for anyone aiming at above-40 in verbal. But for us non-native speakers, it would be hard without extensive language exposure.
In my view, language is used by native speakers as a mean to express their thoughts, but by non-native speakers as a subject for study. This distinction matters a lot, when it comes down to approach a GMAT SC question. So, I agree that reading english (wsj/economist/nyt/...) on a daily basis is an essence for non-native speakers, because only by that mean can we INSTINCTIVELY (as our 2nd nature) grab the meaning of language .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Send PM
thulsy wrote:
Regarding the SC question that Arun brought up, I got a similar question in my Prep2 Practice Exam. The following link has the question and in-depth analysis from Stacey.
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index.php/2012/04/20/meaning-is-mean-a-gmatprep-sentence-correction-problem/

well, I agree that grab the meaning is important for anyone aiming at above-40 in verbal. But for us non-native speakers, it would be hard without extensive language exposure.
In my view, language is used by native speakers as a mean to express their thoughts, but by non-native speakers as a subject for study. This distinction matters a lot, when it comes down to approach a GMAT SC question. So, I agree that reading english (wsj/economist/nyt/...) on a daily basis is an essence for non-native speakers, because only by that mean can we INSTINCTIVELY (as our 2nd nature) grab the meaning of language .

This is indeed true. As a matter of fact, I am also a non-native speaker. I'm from the Philippines. However, all top universities here in the country use English as their medium of language. Actually, a lot of companies are setting up their back-office operations here in the country because of the country's stellar English literacy. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I took the last two weeks to give myself a break from the GMAT and plan to start studying again very soon. I started to read a lot more than I was before all of your suggestions, but I am still not sure how to prepare for the second set of suggestions. How do you suggest I can prepare for "meaning" questions? In the problem posted by Arun above how did you know you were looking at a problem that could be solved by just looking at the meaning of each sentence?

What did you do to improve on this 700+ skill? Also, besides reading how did everyone prepare for RC?

Thanks again!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts