Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 276 [27]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [11]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 276 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: Ideally, groups focused on environmental justice should be concerned [#permalink]
guys, can you tell me why not D. the official ans explanation says it changes the meaning. Can you tell me how? Also in ans option B should you have a comma or a colon?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Send PM
Re: Ideally, groups focused on environmental justice should be concerned [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Choices C, D and E change the meaning, why? The subject of the main sentence in all these cases is groups. However, the subject of subordinate clause is projects and the duty of this subject projects stops with affecting local population. Then what will be the subject of the second independent sentence - pose an unjust burden -? The first eligible contender is the subject of the main sentence namely groups. If we mean that groups pose a burden then it is total distortion of meaning. That is why they are suspect.
There may be hot debates that the projects itself can legally stand as the subject of the second part. . In order to avoid this muddle, well, I think GMAT does require a more clear choice that re-mentions the projects as the subject of the second part and seals the debate once for all, in favor of B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
 Q47  V28 GMAT 2: 570  Q40  V29
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
what is the source of this question. i didnt find any OG SC in which 02 sentences are separated by full stop like this SC.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Choices C, D and E change the meaning, why? The subject of the main sentence in all these cases is groups. However, the subject of subordinate clause is projects and the duty of this subject projects stops with affecting local population. Then what will be the subject of the second independent sentence - pose an unjust burden -? The first eligible contender is the subject of the main sentence namely groups. If we mean that groups pose a burden then it is total distortion of meaning. That is why they are suspect.
There may be hot debates that the projects itself can legally stand as the subject of the second part. . In order to avoid this muddle, well, I think GMAT does require a more clear choice that re-mentions the projects as the subject of the second part and seals the debate once for all, in favor of B.

On second thoughts , I don't see "groups" as a subject of the fragment.

Ideally, groups focused on environmental justice should be concerned with how new government projects will impact local populations. Specifically whether the projects would pose an unjust burden for lower-income and minority

Ideally, groups focused on environmental justice should be concerned with how new government projects will impact local populations and pose an unjust burden for lower-income and minority

It would have been correct if the "would" in the original wasn't present.

Plz correct me if I am wrong !!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Request you not to write your queries/answers/opinions in question window. It prevents ppl from analysing the question. The whole purpose of GMAT Club forum goes wasted by doing so.

You have response windows to do all such things.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 189 [2]
Given Kudos: 185
Send PM
Kudos
sagarbuss wrote:
Request you not to write your queries/answers/opinions in question window. It prevents ppl from analysing the question. The whole purpose of GMAT Club forum goes wasted by doing so.

don't you have anything better to do than to write this under every problem you can find? The thread is old!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
noTh1ng wrote:
sagarbuss wrote:

don't you have anything better to do than to write this under every problem you can find? The thread is old!

Being Old does not make the problem inefficient for practice. I just want admin to follow my posts and do some clean up activity so that others will practice better.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 189 [0]
Send PM
sagarbuss wrote:
noTh1ng wrote:
sagarbuss wrote:

Being Old does not make the problem inefficient for practice. I just want admin to follow my posts and do some clean up activity so that others will practice better.

Well, in this case you are better off in either reporting the posts that include explanations or writing the admins a private message. You can not expect them to follow your posts just to look for potential inconsistencies.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
noTh1ng wrote:
Well, in this case you are better off in either reporting the posts that include explanations or writing the admins a private message. You can not expect them to follow your posts just to look for potential inconsistencies.

They already do it.. and that encourages me to do my job more.. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 189 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sagarbuss wrote:
noTh1ng wrote:

looks like exactly noone is following you.
Attachments

Bildschirmfoto 2015-08-30 um 12.19.23.png
Bildschirmfoto 2015-08-30 um 12.19.23.png [ 14.64 KiB | Viewed 7772 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
noTh1ng wrote:
sagarbuss wrote:
noTh1ng wrote:

looks like exactly noone is following you.

hmm.. i cant paste some of my email responses from admins.. any ways +1 for you for doing some research work on my actions leaving some productive practice to HELL....!!!!

unlike you, I have to be productive with my practice..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 189 [0]
Send PM
I only see you posting the same lines under about every second topic. Very productive.

I recommended to write private messages instead of contributing to even more nonsense in the forums. But as you seem to be repelled by that idea, (sarcastic) kudos to you for that ;)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The original says that it is the duty of the groups to worry whether the projects impact local populations (including every class of people) in general and then specifically whether these projects would pose any unfair burden to the lower class and the minorities.
But, the problem with D is this: It straightaway assumes that these projects do pose an unjust burden to the lower class and minorities than finding out whether the projects pose a burden at all.
Thus, by missing the all important ‘whether’, D varies substantially from the intended meaning.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2220 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Kudos
aimkp wrote:
1.) Ideally, groups focused on environmental justice should be concerned with how new government projects will impact local populations. Specifically whether the projects would pose an unjust burden for lower-income and minority communities.
• will impact local populations. Specifically whether the projects would pose an unjust burden
• will impact local populations, specifically whether the projects would pose an unjust burden
• will impact local populations and pose an unjust burden
• will impact local populations and, specifically, pose an unjust burden
• will be impacting local populations and posing an unjust burden

The correct answer is B.

My Doubt is b\w
Doubt B\w B & D .. B = usage of comma leads to run on sentence but in D = 2 verbs are combined with correct parallelism. Also use of adverb specifically modifies verb pose.

Hi @sudharshan22 generis

Please put highlighted part into Spolier

Thanks!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618733 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmat1393 wrote:
aimkp wrote:
1.) Ideally, groups focused on environmental justice should be concerned with how new government projects will impact local populations. Specifically whether the projects would pose an unjust burden for lower-income and minority communities.
• will impact local populations. Specifically whether the projects would pose an unjust burden
• will impact local populations, specifically whether the projects would pose an unjust burden
• will impact local populations and pose an unjust burden
• will impact local populations and, specifically, pose an unjust burden
• will be impacting local populations and posing an unjust burden

The correct answer is B.

My Doubt is b\w
Doubt B\w B & D .. B = usage of comma leads to run on sentence but in D = 2 verbs are combined with correct parallelism. Also use of adverb specifically modifies verb pose.

Hi @sudharshan22 generis

Please put highlighted part into Spolier

Thanks!

Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
aimkp wrote:
Ideally, groups focused on environmental justice should be concerned with how new government projects will impact local populations. Specifically whether the projects would pose an unjust burden for lower-income and minority communities.

B. will impact local populations, specifically whether the projects would pose an unjust burden
C. will impact local populations and pose an unjust burden
D. will impact local populations and, specifically, pose an unjust burden

Here is my reasoning not to choose C and D:

1. "pose" cannot be parallel with "focused" because of difference in tense.
2. "pose" can be parallel with "be concerned". Then this sentence's meaning would be: groups focused on environmental justice should pose an unjust burden... Doesn't make sense at all because groups are posing burdens!
3. "pose" can be parallel with "impact". And in this case: the sentence would be: groups ... should be concerned with how new government projects will pose an unjust burden...
Sounds like it makes sense right? But it changes the meaning! The intended meaning is that they want to know whether projects will pose burden --> yes or no question. Now, this italicized sentence wants to know how the projects will pose a burden. "whether" and "how" are totally different!

Some people might argue that in this case, "pose" has a different subject ("projects" and "new government projects"). But in my opinion, they essentially mean the same thing, so we cannot just eliminate this answer solely based on this.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
aimkp wrote:
Ideally, groups focused on environmental justice should be concerned with how new government projects will impact local populations. Specifically whether the projects would pose an unjust burden for lower-income and minority communities.

A. will impact local populations. Specifically whether the projects would pose an unjust burden
Breaking of the sentence is absoolutely unnecessary distortiing the meaning therefore out

B. will impact local populations, specifically whether the projects would pose an unjust burden
THe meaning is perfect therefore let us hang on to it

C. will impact local populations and pose an unjust burden
THis gives a meaning as though the committe has to impose a burden to the community which is not the case therefore out

D. will impact local populations and, specifically, pose an unjust burden
Similar reasoning as C

E. will be impacting local populations and posing an unjust burden
impacting and posting isn't the right tense therefore out

Therefore IMO B
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts