Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8799 [10]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Having the crack Phoenician fleet being decimated by the [#permalink]
Having the crack Phoenician fleet being decimated by the much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis, the Persian king Xerxes, whose initial arrogance quickly changed to horror, fled back to Asia and left his remaining troops under the generalship of his brother-in-law, Mardonius.

A.Having the crack Phoenician fleet being decimated by the much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis
B.In view of his crack Phoenician fleet had been decimated by the much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis
C.Because of there having been a much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis that decimated his crack Phoenician fleet
D.Seeing as the crack Phoenician fleet having been decimated by the much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis
E.His crack Phoenician fleet decimated by the much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis

How come E is the answer ?

His crack Phoenician fleet (Noun) + (ed-modifier) decimated by the much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis,

(Independent clause starts)
the Persian king Xerxes (Noun), whose initial arrogance quickly changed to horror,(verb) fled back to Asia and (verb) left his remaining troops under the generalship of his brother-in-law, Mardonius.
(Independent clause ends)

Where is the verb for "His crack Phoenician fleet" (Noun), even if crack is verb or anything else then where is coordination conjunction joining second IC.

I think answer should be anyone of choices A and D.

A.Having the crack Phoenician fleet being decimated by the much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis
D.Seeing as the crack Phoenician fleet having been decimated by the much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis

ing modifier Having or Seeing is referring to the Persian king Xerxes and that makes first half to act as participle ing modifier.

I will go with A.

Seeing as the crack Phoenician fleet doesn't look ok.

Experts please help to understand this option E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GPA: 4
Send PM
macjas wrote:
Having the crack Phoenician fleet being decimated by the much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis, the Persian king Xerxes, whose initial arrogance quickly changed to horror, fled back to Asia and left his remaining troops under the generalship of his brother-in-law, Mardonius.

B.In view of his crack Phoenician fleet had been decimated by the much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis
C.Because of there having been a much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis that decimated his crack Phoenician fleet
E.His crack Phoenician fleet decimated by the much smaller Greek fleet in the straits of Salamis

The underlined statement is actually a cause for Persian king to fly back to asia..

When E is placed in the question stem it makes an abrupt sense...

Can anybody please explain this question properly..?????

And is these type of question expected to come in GMAT?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Having the crack Phoenician fleet being decimated by the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The first part before the comma is not a sentence to have a verb. It is just a phrase that modifies the entire following clause. Here the -ed +verb- is a not verb; it is a past participle. Even present participles -verb+ing- can be used in such absolute modifiers. Look at the following examples.
The side-dish prepared, Sarala started to toast the bread slices
The slices toasted, Sarala asked the children to eat their breakfast
Their breakfast done up, the children darted to the bus-stop to catch the school bus
Their school - bus boarded, the children started playing games in their mobiles before reaching the school

These modifiers have also a pronoun often to refer to the noun of the following independent sentence. They are never connected to the main clause with a conjunction. A conjunction will render the sentence as a fragment.

Originally posted by daagh on 25 Nov 2016, 09:28.
Last edited by daagh on 26 Nov 2016, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
Well i don't see any grammatical error in option A but the meaning of the underlined sentence, when read along with rest of the sentence, is ambiguous.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
And option B, C, and D are grammatically not sound. And option E clearly indicates the meaning of the entire sentence. Hence option E.

Phoenician fleet belonged to the persian king, Xerxes. It was decimated by a smaller fleet of the Greeks in the straits of Salamis. After this unexpected decimation, the persian king
was horrified and fled back to Asia and left the remaining troops(left over portion of the Phoenician fleet ) under the generalship of his brother-in-law, Mardonius.

Please comment if i'm wrong... :)

CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
usercentricity wrote:

Your understanding is correct, though one may as well say that A is grammatically wrong because of use of wrong verbals " having" and "being".
sayantanc2k wrote:
usercentricity wrote:

Your understanding is correct, though one may as well say that A is grammatically wrong because of use of wrong verbals " having" and "being".

Oh yes....i missed that point! Thanks for correcting me.

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts