Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2093 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: Scored a 720 (51Q,36V) - suggested next steps? [#permalink]
Congrats Dude....

I think the score is enough to keep you competitive with the rest of the crowd. Maybe not outstanding but you do have a good chance to get into any top 10 b schools.

My suggestion would be take this time to
1. Shortlist schools that you want to attend, not other people want you to attend. What school matches your career prospectives, etc
2. Get your application package ready - transcripts, essays, resume. All this takes a hell a lot of patience & time.

A good gmat score + a strong application = ADMIT :-)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
A lot depends on your work experience: Do you have experience in Management Consulting in one the following firms: McKinsey, BCG , Bain, AT Kerney, Booz Allen Hamilton . If yes then you are all set for a Top 10 MBA. If no then you still have a chance at these schools though chances are less than 90%(as in the former case).
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Expert Reply
guitarfreak wrote:
Hi

Pl. advice me on the following:-
1) Should I give GMAT again? Or should I focus on other aspects on my application now?

since you are from India, i will ask you one Q - how many of your friends have also scored 700+ :) , i do not need an answer, but believe me so many of them will also be applying as well, so gmat is just a part.

If you think you can score something like 750+ than you should re-take, since you do not have any room to grow in quant, you gotta judge whether you will be able to do well in verbal or not and at the same time perform equally well in quant.

Since you are from India and IT, adcom will surely look at your split, so if you retake gmat, focus more on verbal.

guitarfreak wrote:
2) What should be my target schools with my current score/profile?

The applications at top 10 b-schools is very competitive - especially for Indian - Male (no male/female bias for me but i am not adcom :) ) and IT.

Your essays must be very very strong to set you apart from rest of your friends not only from India but from other countries, if you fail to differentiate yourself , then it will be an uphill battle for top 5-7 schools with this score.

so, start working on essays, and believe me as a non native speaker with indian IT male background , you gotta work lot on your essays
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
A lot depends on your work experience: Do you have experience in Management Consulting in one the following firms: McKinsey, BCG , Bain, AT Kerney, Booz Allen Hamilton . If yes then you are all set for a Top 10 MBA. If no then you still have a chance at these schools though chances are less than 90%(as in the former case).

Thanks - I do not have experience in any of the above. However, do you think if my GMAT score were 750+, my chances of acceptance would increase?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lamanxa wrote:
guitarfreak wrote:
Hi

I want to apply to b-school this year and am targeting the top 10 US b-schools. Following is my profile:

GMAT score - 720 (51Q, 35V)
Target - Jul 2013
Citizenship - Indian (Male)
Education - From one of the best schools in India (IIT Delhi)
Workex - 4 years by the time of intake (2 yr mgmt consulting, 2 yr strategy in a growth-stage firm)
Location - Currently based in New Delhi - Worked globally/with global teams.
Extra - Did a lot of music related activities in college

1) Should I give GMAT again? Or should I focus on other aspects on my application now?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks.

guitarfreak,

congrats for your great score. Would you mind sharing the scores on your simulation tests? Since the Indian pool tends to have a higher GMAT score average due to your guys outstanding math skill, it might be a good idea to retake the exam if you fell you're able to improve your verbal score. Otherwise, don't stretch yourself and focus on delivering a quality application package to your target schools.

Regards,
lamanxa.

Thank you so much lamanxa!

Following are my scores (in sequence):-

MGMAT mock 1 - 730
MGMAT mock 2 - 690
MGMAT mock 3 - 690
GMAT prep 1 - 750
MGMAT mock 4 - 750
MGMAT mock 5 - 770
MGMAT mock 6 - 740
GMAT prep 2 - 760

Look forward to your advice!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
boomtangboy wrote:
Congrats Dude....

I think the score is enough to keep you competitive with the rest of the crowd. Maybe not outstanding but you do have a good chance to get into any top 10 b schools.

My suggestion would be take this time to
1. Shortlist schools that you want to attend, not other people want you to attend. What school matches your career prospectives, etc
2. Get your application package ready - transcripts, essays, resume. All this takes a hell a lot of patience & time.

A good gmat score + a strong application = ADMIT :-)

Thanks - but since I was scoring well in mocks, I think I can crack 750. Pl. advice on the following:-
1) Do B-schools raise an issue with multiple GMAT takes (have already given it 2 times, i scored 690 earlier - way back in 2008 when I gave it without any prep..)
2) How much would the incremental 20-30 GMAT points increase the chances of my acceptance in the top 10 US b-schools?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OasisGC wrote:
guitarfreak wrote:
Hi

since you are from India, i will ask you one Q - how many of your friends have also scored 700+ :) , i do not need an answer, but believe me so many of them will also be applying as well, so gmat is just a part.

If you think you can score something like 750+ than you should re-take, since you do not have any room to grow in quant, you gotta judge whether you will be able to do well in verbal or not and at the same time perform equally well in quant.

Since you are from India and IT, adcom will surely look at your split, so if you retake gmat, focus more on verbal.

guitarfreak wrote:

The applications at top 10 b-schools is very competitive - especially for Indian - Male (no male/female bias for me but i am not adcom :) ) and IT.

Your essays must be very very strong to set you apart from rest of your friends not only from India but from other countries, if you fail to differentiate yourself , then it will be an uphill battle for top 5-7 schools with this score.

so, start working on essays, and believe me as a non native speaker with indian IT male background , you gotta work lot on your essays

Thank you for the detailed response! - have a few further queries:-
1) Why do you say I am from the Indian "IT" male background? Have never done IT... did mgmt consulting for 2 yrs, and will complete 2 yrs as part of the strategy group of a growth stage healthcare firm

2) Do adcoms pull you up for low verbal scores? Don't they look at the overall GMAT score? Would appreciate some more clarity on this...
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Expert Reply
guitarfreak wrote:

Thank you for the detailed response! - have a few further queries:-
1) Why do you say I am from the Indian "IT" male background? Have never done IT... did mgmt consulting for 2 yrs, and will complete 2 yrs as part of the strategy group of a growth stage healthcare firm

Oops, i missed one I, apologies.

Yes, your management consulting background will be a plus point for you.

Given your profile, i would say you are a fit for top 10 b-schools, but you should ideally shortlist 6/7 schools, interact with current student, admission director, alums etc and understand the strengths of each program and you can shortlist 6/7 schools as per your long term and short term goals.

I would just make one point here, when you apply to top 5/7 b-schools, you really need to differentiate yourself from others, because there will be many more equally qualified ( consulting , top gmat etc ) , so every small battle ( professional exp, gmat, EC etc ) is important and gives you an opportunity to knock the other one.

Coming back to your GMAT - if you choose to apply to top 5/7, you are very near to their average scores, so you do not loose anything, but you do not gain anything as well, with GMAT of 750, you have a reason to scream that i am better than average.

guitarfreak wrote:

2) Do adcoms pull you up for low verbal scores? Don't they look at the overall GMAT score? Would appreciate some more clarity on this...

The answer to your first Q is , it depends, if you are from India ( specially from IIT ) , they know that you are great at Quant, so they would want to see how you have overcome your challenge of scoring in verbal, at the same time when they assess the profile of native speaker, they expect native speaker to do great in verbal but want to see great score in Quant too, these are small battles that you win to secure bigger victory

Naturally, overall score is always important, but a better split adds more value to it.

Good Luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks!

Gave my app some more thought, and have decided that my post-MBA goal is to become an Healthcare entrepreneur, so can you suggest names of b-schools with the most sought after healthcare/entrepreneurship programs?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Rakshay
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
guitarfreak wrote:
Thanks!

Gave my app some more thought, and have decided that my post-MBA goal is to become an Healthcare entrepreneur, so can you suggest names of b-schools with the most sought after healthcare/entrepreneurship programs?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Rakshay

Hi.. first of all, congrats on your score!

Well, check Duke's Fuqua School of Business.. Healthcare is its special focus (you can find so on its website).

Very interesting field.. Good Luck!! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
Suggested next steps :

(1) Go to a bar with friends - possibly females
(2) Order tequila shots for everybody
(3) Get wasted
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
GPA: 1
Send PM
you need to balance your GMAT V/Q score. otherwise you might get dinged - "best book on MBA admissions"

a 45/ 45 probably gets you much more attention.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
heintzst wrote:
you need to balance your GMAT V/Q score. otherwise you might get dinged - "best book on MBA admissions"

a 45/ 45 probably gets you much more attention.

Is 45/45 a balanced score? I don't think so
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
guitarfreak wrote:
Hi

I want to apply to b-school this year and am targeting the top 10 US b-schools. Following is my profile:

GMAT score - 720 (51Q, 35V)
Target - Jul 2013
Citizenship - Indian (Male)
Education - From one of the best schools in India (IIT Delhi)
Workex - 4 years by the time of intake (2 yr mgmt consulting, 2 yr strategy in a growth-stage firm)
Location - Currently based in New Delhi - Worked globally/with global teams.
Extra - Did a lot of music related activities in college

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi,

Can you let me know you average accuracy at OG in SC and CR, i scored 30 in verbal and am at 70% accuracy for SC and around 75% for CR (all questions, advanced level q with 60% odd accuracy) , i do not have any timing problem

I am targeting verbal of 36/37, so may be your insight can help
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts